making my own hammock

for give me because i am new...
    My new grand turk (i think) UL hammock cam in friday. $26 shipped from somewhere on line. i hung it yesterday and ws quite comfy, so YES, I think I can sleep in a hammock for 10 nights.

so went to wallmark yesterday and bought A LOT of ripstop. i have no idea of wt, water proof or anything. i want to build a double layer so i can insert sleeping pads (that I already have) in between.

my current plan is a 11' x 54" and 2 side panels of 11' x 9". 1/2" hems and an open 4' section on one side middle for pad insertion. sew a channel on each end to pull in the gather and then tie off as per other threads I've seen on this forum.

My wife will be gone the next 2 night and i want to have it finished when she gets home. is there anything you would change about this set up?

i live in north fla and will not be using the hammock in the cold...hoping to get spring and fall trips to the smokies.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
    my current plan is a 11' x 54" and 2 side panels of 11' x 9". 1/2" hems and an open 4' section on one side middle for pad insertion.
    If you ever intend on using a self inflating pad (Thermarest) with it, I'd suggest sewing the middle section together and leaving the ends open. This makes it a little easier to reach the valve when adjusting firmness.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    What are your plans for a bug net? My first hammock was a single layer gathered end similar to what you describe. I made a separate bug sock for that one. I am just now finishing a second hammock that is a blend between a gathered end and HC4U's HH clone with a built in net. The built in net will be more useful for me and was really not much harder to sew. If you consider the time to make a separate hammock & sock you can probably make one with an integrated net...

Good luck and be sure to share pictures when complete!

• + New Posts