DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images

Carabiners to gather the ends of my hammock?

Hello guys,

Been lurking the forums for a few weeks so first off hullo all

I'm new to hammocks, been out the last two weekends camping with my DD Frontline and I can't get enough. I've decided that the current webbing setup has to go - it's bulky, sags, and I have trouble tieing it off.

I'm undecided whether to go for all webbing with a cinch buckle or decender rings, or to go with a marlen spike hitch and whoopie. Not too concerned about relative weights or cost. What I'm after is something flexible in terms of length adjustment, and also something foolproof so I can set up quickly in the dark or with cold hands if needs be (or when drunk...LOL). Bearing that in mind what do you guys think?

My main question (thread title) is to do with the gathered ends of my hammock. Does anyone use a pair of carabiners (eg nano 23s)? I figure it'll allow me to swap suspension system easily - I can just unclip the whoopies, or unclip the webbing, to change, correct?

I'm interested in hooking up a structural ridgeline, but want to be able to remove it for day use. I figure a whoopie sling ridgeline can be clipped on/adjusted/clipped off using the same end carabiners, and I can use smaller none climbing ones to clip my bugnet to the ridgeline to keep it off my face, which beats the bungies I'm using just now.

Is my thinking sound? I've been trying to weigh up the options but I'm still bewildered by the choices!

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    The Nano7 comes with biners for just that purpose. There are a gazillion ways to shake that tree. Personally I would recommend just putting whoopies through the gather end, get some good tree straps, and then getting some good toggles for the joining of the slings to the straps.

For the ridge line, try a nacra ridge line. eliminates the need for any biners.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Aye I found your original post with link to your vid. This is what I mean by too many choices

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    My hammock is set up just like the example I gave. I found it to be the lightest thing I could get away with. If you went a place that needed longer straps you could make longer ones or get some strap extenders.

My rig is shown here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ebengman#p/u/4/kofOMX94Khw

the only difference is the ridge-line. The nacra ridge replaced the one shown in the video.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    The fastest way i've found, also pretty light:

whoppie sling attached to hammock body
    whoppie is either attached to hugger via nacrabiner, or threaded through before it is done being constructed(before the loop is made for the sling, you will not be able to remove the hugger from the whoopie sling without cutting the backsplice stopper off, so its kinda permanent)
    biner is attached to other end of hugger

setup process:
    wrap hugger around tree
    clip biner against hugger
    repeat on side 2

for lightweight biners you can use dutch biners or nano7's. If you want to go even lighter, you can use a nacrabiner for both spots(whoppie to hugger, hugger to hugger around tree), it will be more time consuming and fidly, but it will work and be way lighter. I used to use 2 nacras, but my pack weight is so light now, that i prefer the instant setup the single biner on each end gets me. I have an 11lb baseweight(no food or water) in summer, so im not too concerned about weight.

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    If I go for whoopies I'll probably buy them - what kind of length flexibility (how short to how long) can you get? Does the size depend on where you buy from? I know it's easy enough to use a marlen spike hitch or figure 8 to attach another length of cord.

Definately going to have to get a set of dutch clips for the setup - it'd allow me to attach the hugger permanently to the whoopie sling forgoing the marlen spike hitch if I wanted, right?

/e: So if I were to go with these is the length stated (eg 4', 6', or 8') the length fully extended?
    Last edited by Highbinder; 08-25-2010 at 11:02.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm a big fan of webbing. While whoopies are easy to set up I find the webbing a little easier. I also like to be able to go really short without having to do a work around if necessary. Since you mentioned weight was not to much of a concern don't discount webbing. If you really like whoopie slings, take a look at Hawkeye's videos of the use of the soon to be released Dutch biners. Using them would eliminate having to do the marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    I'm a big fan of webbing. While whoopies are easy to set up I find the webbing a little easier. I also like to be able to go really short without having to do a work around if necessary. Since you mentioned weight was not to much of a concern don't discount webbing. If you really like whoopie slings, take a look at Hawkeye's videos of the use of the soon to be released Dutch biners. Using them would eliminate having to do the marlin spike hitch.
    I'm looking to pick up a second 'day' hammock, something like a GrandTrunk which is nice and light, and as it doesn't come with a suspension system I'd probably buy a second setup at that point too so I may leave the whoopie slings till then. The set up is going to get a lot of use this coming year as I'm spending 3-4 months traveling Europe and plan to hammock whereever possible so ultimately reliability and ease of use is crucial.

If I go for webbing, whats the usual length carried? The light polypro stuff seems ideal. Not sure on cinch buckles or descender rings, I take it if I go with rings I can mount them directly onto the 'biner on my hammock?

As in: Hammock>carabiner>descender.rings>webbing>dutch.cl ip?

I've spotted some nice hangs with large trees and also with large gaps, so I'm thinking carrying odd (one long) lengths of webbing would be useful.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Highbender:
    let me say hello and welcome to HF. I have the Chainlink/Cinch buckle/webbing suspension system on all of my hammocks. All of this can be bought from one source at Arrowhead Equipment, here is the link: http://www.arrowheadequipment.webs.com/. Go into the store section and then look at the suspension section in the store. Paul is a great businessman, has fantastic turnaround time on orders and a fellow forum member. The mentioned suspension system is easy to set up, no matter weather conditions or impaired mental facalities!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    +1 on the goods from Paul at AHE. Desecnder rings are bigger and require a slippery half hitch to prevent slipping. The cinch buckles Paul sells do not require it. It is probably best to use a length of cord for cinch buckles or decender rings. The cord keeps them together a little better.

With regards to length it depends on the trees you are going to be using but 12 to 15 feet per end would probably cover all your bases. I have 15 feet on each end on all of my hammocks. I think 30 feet for a hammock is plenty since any longer and I probably wouldn't be able to set it up properly because the trees would be too far apart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast