DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I'm one of the few that love the bottom entrance for various reasons. But it would be nice to have both options. Much easier to get in your sleeping bag and get things in the right places from the side. For ease of use, the side zip is the way to go. I like the bottom, but I'm sure I'm in the minority here. I've been using mine so long getting in, and getting everything adjested and in place is just second nature now.

Top quilt makes the bottom entrance a lot easier. Mummy bag can make it a nightmare.

Both have positives and negatives. But that aside. Hennessy makes one of the finest shelter hammocks on the market for the money. I'm fine with my stock tarp, but am considering a hex upgrade.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    You could get a regular Hennessy and get the mod done while keeping the bottom entry. That way you have both options.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

options

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    You could get a regular Hennessy and get the mod done while keeping the bottom entry. That way you have both options.
    That's what I'm doing with mine!

The bottom entry HH is all I've ever really known, so when I think of side loading, I think of my head and back rubbing against the tarp when I get in and out, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I only have a 2/3 UQ and it only comes a few inches past the slit, but the bungees holding it do sort of have to be negotiated when getting in and out. Minor issue for a 2/3 quilt, but for me would me much more of an issue with a full UQ.

The bottom entry does have a bit of a cool factor to it when it comes to showing others. I typically hang my hammock with the entry end further from the tree than the other end, and I cheat my large tarp to cover more of the entry end so that I have a bit of a vestibule there. Can accomplish a similar type of thing side-entry using your poles to lift a side of the tarp to give more underneath space, but it would seem to me you lose some windshearing capacity that way (as well as use of your poles for something else). I suspect that a HH with tarp pulled down close on it handles wild weather better, or at least allows easier entry/exit when you have the tarp pulled close. And I guess in that regard, you could carry a smaller tarp, too.

My only gripes with the bottom entry is that with "stuff" (i.e. pads, s-bag) in the hammock, it can be easy to nudge the velcro open if you're squirming around with it - not good when that happens when you're sleeping. No problem with an UQ, however, but you do need to be able to reach out and adjust the UQ from the side around your shoulders, which is why I'm doing the mod.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 08-25-2010 at 17:05.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I keep flirting with the idea of getting one of me Hennessy hammocks modified.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    We just picked up an ultralight with side zip. I like it, nice chunky zip, about as comfy as my blackbird.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    SGT Rock, do it-you'll enjoy it. The options are nice

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Some considerations for "the HH slit"

I have cooked and eaten meals in my Jetboil while sitting in my HH with legs dangling down from the slit opening. Gives mosquito protection, and in inclement weather keeps me dry and can throw my sleeping bag over me for warmth.

I also use a WBBB, and I've had the zip snag on my bag on numerous occasions. There is something simple, elegant and robust about the HH bottom slit opening -- it cannot fail you.

The downside for some people is they notice a bit of tension in their calf area where the slit does not flex as much as the rest of the hammock bottom. This never bothered me, but it does some people.

One of the supposed advantages of the side zipper is being able to sit there with the bugnet pulled back. For whatever reason I almost never do this with my HH: I am either sitting around the campfire or by the eating area with my compadres, or, I'm laying down.

I find the two pretty equivalent for the midnight tree-watering excursions: the side entry requires a bit less bending over, but more fidgeting with the zipper.

Some people have a fear of falling out of the slit. This is *highly* unlikely. After a few iterations of wriggling down there to exit, you realize that you are not going to do this by accident.

FWIW,

--Kurt

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I keep flirting with the idea of getting one of me Hennessy hammocks modified.
    If I had not had my HH modified with zippers, it would have been sold by now. Sending it to 2Qs was the best thing I ever did with it.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bought an Expedition Zip this year and like it very much for all the reasons stated. For me the best times in a hammock are at first light when the bugs are asleep, and you unzip the side a bit, let the fresh air in (yes the mesh blocks alot), hang your head partially out, listen to the birds and take in the view for a while. Can't do that without a side zip.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a HH with the side zip AND a #4 mod by 2Q ZQ. The side zip is an improvement over the bottom entry. Adding the extra zipper mod to that made it even better!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast