Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

my sewing machine blows :(

I was all pumped to have my new hammock made this week. I layed out my material and have over'--enough for several hammocks and tarps! so i cut oout what i needed for a double layer and also cut a foot of scrap. i pulled out the maching and tried to sew a fold of the scrap. DID NOT WORK! the material did not advance under the foot and the back side of the material was bunched up loops of thread. the bobbin was wrapped up on the outside with loops of thread that had to be cut out each time. i tried it more than a dozen times with the same result. I sewed kites a few years back with the machine so i know it did the material back then. I have no instruction book to refer back too...i'll try a heavier non slippery material and see if that works.
    comments and suggestion are welcome

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Might just need a good cleaning and lube if it's sat for awhile. Here's a place that sells manuals: http://www.sewusa.com/ and has threading diagrams, another potential problem. Also, my "thread injector" has three settings for the feed. One doesn't feed at all and another is for "silk" material. Maybe you have the feed turned off?

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Sage advice above.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Since it worked fine before storing it, I'd get the top thread tension tighter first, see if that makes it feed right. If not, try adjusting the feed dog tension lighter. If that doesn't work, find a thread injector mechanic and send it in!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
    ... the material did not advance under the foot and the back side...

As BJM said, check that the feed dogs are engaged. The feed dogs are what advances the fabric, without them engaged and in the "UP" position, the fabric will just sit there and the needle goes up and down. And check that the threads per inch settings are set correctly, as well as proper stitch pattern.

... material was bunched up loops of thread. the bobbin was wrapped up on the outside with loops of thread that had to be cut out each time.

Again, the feed dogs will alleviate some of these issues. As the fabric properly advances the thread has somewhere to go. When the fabric does not advance, the thread will just stack up and birdsnest.

i tried it more than a dozen times with the same result. I sewed kites a few years back with the machine so i know it did the material back then. I have no instruction book to refer back too...i'll try a heavier non slippery material and see if that works.
    comments and suggestion are welcome
    Let us know what machine you have?!
    And maybe someone with specific knowledge can add advice.

We are here for ya!

A machine that sat for years will need a good cleaning and lube job. Different materials need different settings. Foot pressure, thread tension, stitches per inch, specific stitch patterns, the feed dogs, etc...All play a specific job in the machine operating properly. Needles and thread also can cause issues. Old dusty thread will clog up in the eye. Old thread can deteriorate and not work right as well.

Check inside for random loose threads, lint, dust, spiders
    If you let your car sit for a few years, it probably won't run right either. I'd suggest a tune-up and cleaning from a local sewing shop. They'll fix it up and give it timing check, lube all the parts, clean it. And that will be a quick and easy fix. Might cost $50.00, but save you wrecking your project. And save you a whole bunch of headaches. And they can give you some operating tips. Most shops offer classes where you can pick up all kinds of advice/techniques that will get you on the right track.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
    i'll try a heavier non slippery material and see if that works.
    It won't work... if the tangle is on the bottom with light material, it will definitely tangle with heavier material. The top thread tension is too light, for whatever reason.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Downy goodness
    Suspension
    webbing
    Do you have a new needle? Sure it's threaded properly?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A very common problem is that you start the stitching too close to the edge of the fabric. The end of the fabric should be NO CLOSER than the back of your presser foot. I will usually start a good 1/2 -3/4 of an inch from the edge. A couple stitches forward and then a few back locks the seam start and keeps the fabric from bunching up. Try that and see how it works.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Are you sure the feed dogs aren't down.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You can either use a "BFH", or you can take it in to the shop for a tune-up. Me? I'd use the first option for a while then take it in to the shop just to see the look on the guy's face.

Seriously, you can find the manual online. Look hard enough and you'll probably find a copy for free. A little lube and some tension adjustments will probably set you right. However, a stored machine could probably use a little TLC from someone that knows what they're doing so taking it in to the shop is probably your best bet for happy use.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast