Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl. & hk2001
    Tarp
    MLD cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    yeti, crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies, bulltape
    I like the sound of this one, trying to talk the wife into it, or not.. what if it rains?

Hammock
    Treklite Double
    Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1camper View Post
    I like the sound of this one, trying to talk the wife into it, or not.. what if it rains?
    Put on your rain gear!!
    Relax, monsters under the hammock are easily distracted by twister-playing squirrels.

Images
    Well, I hate it say it but once again work is getting in the way. I have to back out on that weekend. I'll know tuesday if I can make it another one. I'll that said they can make it decide if they are up for a different weekend or not.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    To those going, a reminder: there have been many successful get togethers here at HF where the leader / organizer had to (SADLY) back out at the last minute. So, go, have fun. Take a lot of pictures. Try to not wreck, I would hate to see your bike messed up, , , , , Oh yea, you too!

Sad to hear that Coffee can't go, also wish I could go. BUT it sounds like something that could become a yearly event. Or more often even.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Well put. I would still like to see this happen. Trying for another weekend, but not sure of anything yet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    I'm following this thread. I've been dyin' to do the Dragon. Getting away is going to have to happen on the fly.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    JrB 10x12
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Well. I got to work now. Man I wanted to go too.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I watched this thread a bit and see that you have settled on the Dragon. This is NW of me and my stomping grounds. I'd like to say to you all who have never been on the Dragon or on a two lane road in these mountains on a bike. Please be VERY carefull. Not just with your own skills but from the others on those roads. There are a lot of car clubs and such do them also. Then you have yahoos like me tearing around on them. I had a dude on a sport bike challenge me in my F250 for some of my half of the road on a one of the sharp curves at the Dragon. His wheels were on his side but his body was on my side. I can still see his bug eyes popping as he dissapeared below my hood. I waited for the thump but God was on our side that day and gave us the skills to miss each other. Mrprez is right. The sounds do get very old after awhile. I was housebound ill all Labor day weekend. With my house windows closed the main traffic I could hear was a certain brand of bike probably with a set of illegal off-road pipes on. Every five minutes or so they would roar past on HWY64 imposing their so call freedom over mine and everyone elses along the way with their annoying loud pipes. It used to be not so bad but anymore it seems constant all spring,summer and fall. Thats why the AMA and HD has to have a PR campaign about it. Someday I see it coming to a head. I say this as someone who used to ride until a auto accident stoped me. I'm also a gearhead. I like anything with a engine or wheels on it. My DD is a Scout with a diesel in it which has a custom fit and welded exhaust that turned out way louder than expected at certain tones. I want to quiet it someday. One of my toys is a 67 Chevelle with headers and dual exhaust that gets a little loud when I get on it. That being said brings me to my post. I pondered about posting because of some of the above but I feel strongly about what goes around comes around. I probably do some things that others don't care for but would hope they would still accomodate me in some way. So I'd like to pay it forward and offer my knowledge of the area if you still want it after my little rant. Standing Indian is a nice little campground in a wilderness area West of Franklin. It has some showers. I have never camped there let alone hung a hammock. Its in the woods so there should be some spots to hang. I'm very close to it. If I get to feeling better I would offer to scout it out for ya if ya decided on it. Heck if you stayed there I'd even bring ya a arm load of wood,have a beer and check your bikes out. Rainbow Springs is down the road from there. Not sure if they are still open. There are some places around Lake Fontana. Some around Lake Chatuge like Jack Rabbit campground. Don't know about Nantahala lake. Might be some in the Nantahala gorge. A Google search should bring them up. If you want to go primitive or el cheapo I can point you to some gravel Forest Service roads with camping spots. Depending on your routes I can point you to some short hikes,restaurants to eat at,get you off the four lane roads sooner to some nice two lanes,ets. I think the name of the place is called Deals Gap. But its the hangout at the Dragon. They have a shop with some really cool Tshirts. Make sure you get yourself a "I surived the Dragon" patch there. Also don't try to judge your travel times by distance. It takes much longer especially if you get caught behind a couple of slow pokes for very long. Any questions or such I'd be willing to answer what I know or remember.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Mebbe I should not do the Dragon... don't think I'd fit in. I am a slow poke, and my old airhead is so quiet, everyone thinks it's a hybrid.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Mebbe I should not do the Dragon... don't think I'd fit in. I am a slow poke, and my old airhead is so quiet, everyone thinks it's a hybrid.

- MacEntyre
    Naw. Your likly to see just about anything over there. Two or four wheels. I'd like to have a bike to try it. Anyone who likes a good thrill on the road ought to do the Dragon at least once. Being a slow poke would be like hiking slower where you see more along the way. At least you could hear the hot shots coming up on ya to get out of their way. Sounds like a neet bike I wish more would ride. Its kinda funny that some of the loud pipes some put on for their ego actually hurts the bikes performance.The whole area is a nice ride/drive.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast