ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    HH A-Sym Hex
    Insulation
    Speer Peapod
    Suspension
    Suspension Rings

From tree-filled Washington State

I've been hammock camping for around two years now, but I'm definitely still perfecting my setup.

The Hammock

Right now, I have an ENO Doublenest hammock. I bought it because they had them at REI, they were relatively cheap, and the Doublenest was big enough to fit me. After using it for awhile, I have realized that it may not be the best choice for me. I eventually want to switch to a hammock with a larger footbox and an integrated bug net, so I'm very interested in the Warbonnet Blackbird.

The HH rainfly works for me, but you have to sling it pretty close to the hammock to keep everything dry (we get rain here occasionally) and that means I'm not really able to sit up straight in my hammock, or move around under the fly comfortably.

I just upgraded the suspension on the ENO from slap straps to some polyester webbing, aluminum suspension rings, and chain link from Arrowhead Equipment, which I can't wait to try out.

Staying Warm

I sleep in a Big Agnes sleeping bag with am integrated air mattress, but I feel like I need to switch to something new. The bag is too hot for the summer, and I would like to find something lightweight, but large enough to fit my 6'5" 280 lb frame. Suggestions? I want to switch to a normal bag, or top quilt and a ccf pad. I am currently trying to figure out how thick my pad will need to be to keep me warm down to 40 degrees or so. I also enjoy winter camping, so I want to find a way to stay warm down to around 15 degrees.

I bought the Speer PeaPod, even though I was doubtful that it would fit around me, and my hammock. The guy at Speer assured me it would, but...it doesn't. It's still a lot warmer than not having it, but it doesn't seal around me, so I plan on getting rid of it eventually. Any takers? Feel free to make an offer.

TL;DR

So basically, everything that I have works, but everything is a compromise which I'm not digging too much. I've been lurking for a while now, but I'm still confused by some of the lingo. I'm especially interested in hearing from big guys, as size seems to be the number one factor in choosing gear that works for me. Since I'm huge, my gear runs towards huge sizes, which means increased weight, so I'm interested in finding lightweight gear too.
    Last edited by Seanwins; 08-25-2010 at 01:16.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello! You won't be disappointed with the Blackbird and you'll get no shortage of recommendations for it either. I have read people of similar size as you have no problems with it. How about an underquilt for you bottom insulation? You could get a three season UQ and then supplement it with a pad in the winter.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Sean:
    fellow big guy here and I want to let you know that there are UQ's and TQ's that will fit you. I have two of the KAQ New River UQ's, one is pre-Arrowhead Equipment the other is post AHE. I have slept comfortable to the mid twenties in my Clark NX-200 using these item as a UQ and TQ. I feel that I could easly get to mid-teens with an Insultex UQ layer in conjuction with the other quilts and appropriate sleep clothing. I hope to find out this "winter" here in Alabama. Give these items a look over and also at the quilts at Warbonnet if you are considering the WBBB.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums! I'm sure you will get all of your questions answered here. Also if you're going to sell the Speer PeaPod, feel free to post it in the For Sale section here and it will be snapped up in no time...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the forums. You have come to the right place to find out about hammocks and hammock gear. Between your Speer Pea Pod and your Big Anes sleeping bag I would think that you could easily sleep comfortably at around 40 degrees. But since that is not the case there are quite a few suppliers of top quality TQ's & UQ's here on the forums.
    Terry

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    HH A-Sym Hex
    Insulation
    Speer Peapod
    Suspension
    Suspension Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Welcome to the forums. You have come to the right place to find out about hammocks and hammock gear. Between your Speer Pea Pod and your Big Anes sleeping bag I would think that you could easily sleep comfortably at around 40 degrees. But since that is not the case there are quite a few suppliers of top quality TQ's & UQ's here on the forums.
    I have been warm below 30 degrees with the PeaPod and the Big Agnes. If I could find a way to eliminate the sag in the middle from not being able to close it over me, I think I would be even warmer. Maybe some shock cord attachments on the ends to pull it taught?

I was looking at the KAQ TQs but they say 6'4" and size 12 feet. I'm 6'5" and size 14. I've learned harsh lessons from purchasing gear which just barely could handle my regal dimensions, so I like to buy stuff that can handle someone larger than myself. The problem seems to be that I end up buying stuff made for two people, which ends up being more than I need and heavier than I would like. Not trying to sound like a whiner.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Since you are that size and have had experience in the past..........might I suggest you talk to the cottage shop guys and see if they will make a special quilt to fit for a nominal fee. I have found that most of the CSG's are more than willing to help when it comes to special built items, it is just a thought and it worked for me in the past.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanwins View Post
    I have been warm below 30 degrees with the PeaPod and the Big Agnes. If I could find a way to eliminate the sag in the middle from not being able to close it over me, I think I would be even warmer. Maybe some shock cord attachments on the ends to pull it taught?

I was looking at the KAQ TQs but they say 6'4" and size 12 feet. I'm 6'5" and size 14. I've learned harsh lessons from purchasing gear which just barely could handle my regal dimensions, so I like to buy stuff that can handle someone larger than myself. The problem seems to be that I end up buying stuff made for two people, which ends up being more than I need and heavier than I would like. Not trying to sound like a whiner.
    Talk to Stormcrow. He gets it! His standard partial UQ is 3/4 length and wide! He is 6'3" or so himself (maybe a bit taller!) and understands the needs of "normal" sized people like you and me (6'5"). Besides, he's a really nice guy! I got a summer-weight TQ from him earlier this year that is just the right size!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanwins View Post

Hey there Seanwins, welcome! You are a pretty big guy. But I'm still surprised you have so much trouble closing that Pea Pod around you. Even with 280 lb, if you have that spread over 6'5", that should decrease your diameter some. Though I am only 210, I am also only 6'1". I have had zero problems closing the Pea Pod around me. What size coat do you wear? I an size 45 I think. 44 anyway.

I remember there was another ENO dbl Pea Pod user once, also a "big" fellow I think, who had to get rid of the Pea Pod. There was not enough room. I'm wondering: the ENOs are pretty long hammocks right? 10 feet? The main hammock the Pea Pod was designed for is only about 8.5 feet. The Pod itself is 9 feet long, leaving room for a bit of sag under the hammock once she is all closed up. With these longer hammocks, you have to hang the pod further back from the hammock end than you might think to allow enough sag. I need about 4-8" of distance between the hammock bottom and the inside top layer( the part that should just barely touch your back after you lay down) before I get in. If you have the pod pulled to far towards the end of these longer hammocks, things are going to be too tight when you close up. Plus, the bottom down will be compressed, lessening warmth.

You probably already know all that, but just in case. You might want to experiment with hanging the pod a good bit looser and THEN try to close it. The looser you hang it, the more "side to side" room you will have, with more circumference and width.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Welcome! Another big forum member here. I have never used a peapod but my KAQ has always fit ok.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast