Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I should mention this one big negative to the above technique, which will keep me tieing to trees with a larger hammock. When I used the "pull down and pre-sag" technique ( to make up a name for it), it helps greatly with many of the problems associated with hooking to the hammock. I even tried it with my MacCat and it worked ok plus some whopping rain coverage BUT:

When I do this, it add's a new problem: it makes entry into the hammock a real pain. It somehow makes it a struggle, with out going into detail. So I'll probably stick to normal use of my MacCat or Hex fly tied to trees. But, if I was a new user of the HH with ASYM fly, I wouldn't hesitate to do this in storms to be confident of adequate rain protection.
    the key things about the technique are that the tarp go on the suspension line, and that there be a ridgeline. So it seems to me to be a method to keep in mind for any tarp, on any hammock with a ridgeline. Which of course includes top-loaders which would negative the issue you seemed to have backed into (sorry, couldn't help it... )

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    the key things about the technique are that the tarp go on the suspension line, and that there be a ridgeline. So it seems to me to be a method to keep in mind for any tarp, on any hammock with a ridgeline. Which of course includes top-loaders which would negative the issue you seemed to have backed into (sorry, couldn't help it... )

Grizz
    Yeah, I had wondered if it (entry) would be better with my mesh free Safari!

But, if I was a new user of the HH with ASYM fly, I wouldn't hesitate to do this in storms to be confident of adequate rain protection.
    good to know. i should be able to get a full test this weekend.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    good to know. i should be able to get a full test this weekend.
    Good luck! I hope you don't need to keep your bike under there- not a lot of room.

Good luck! I hope you don't need to keep your bike under there- not a lot of room.
    walking in this weekend. set up the hammock sans fly last week to test it out. set it up tonight with the fly and was able to get it nice and tight. looks like decent coverage.

i'll end up getting a larger tarp for bike storage - and i haven't decided on my hanging technique yet - rings are 'on the way' - so i'll have to wait to give the strap and ring method a try. i want to keep things light - so i may do a rope and ring method... hmmm.

ok. so i set up and down 3-4 times today.
    stock tarp was all floppy when i got in.

i was hanging pretty far apart, so lots of sag when i get in. probably at the limits of the HH with the treehuggers choked around narrow trees. (only trees in the backyard that i can make use of easily)

some questions:

how far out do you stake the hammock sides? how much tension should be on the shock cord? (hammock sides) i pulled these fairly wide thinking i'd get more room in the hammock... perhaps they need to be more 'down' than wide.

i see from your photos that you really 'pre' tension the tarp alot!... is your ridgeline straight when you are finished? mine zig zagged around a bit. (when looking from tree to tree)

do you have trouble keeping the tarp centered from side to side? seems when you pull down ALOT on one side it just wants to roll to that side, then when you go to the other you fight the tension in the ridge.

are you using bungies on the tarp - how tight do you go?

going to do a 'cold' test this weekend. temps should drop below 40. hopefully no rain. i'll carry some extra line in case i can't get this figured out. wish i could get to a hangout and see how others do it... and i see a DIY black cat in my future. (but i really really want to make the stock tarp work...)

Images
    bmikeok. so i set up and down 3-4 times today.
    stock tarp was all floppy when i got in.

i was hanging pretty far apart, so lots of sag when i get in. probably at the limits of the HH with the treehuggers choked around narrow trees. (only trees in the backyard that i can make use of easily)
    I have the same backyard problem. Trees far apart and not very stout. The trees flex and I get a lot of sag in tarp and hammock no matter how I attache them, tarp to trees or otherwise. But it's worse with tarp to hammock.

some questions:

how far out do you stake the hammock sides? how much tension should be on the shock cord? (hammock sides) i pulled these fairly wide thinking i'd get more room in the hammock... perhaps they need to be more 'down' than wide.
    As far to the side as possible.

i see from your photos that you really 'pre' tension the tarp alot!... is your ridgeline straight when you are finished? mine zig zagged around a bit. (when looking from tree to tree)
    I have not noticed it not being straight. That large amount of pre-tensioning plus bungees is the only way I have found to keep the floopy tarp syndrome reasonable, plus it gives you superior, excellent rain protection. It's a bit of trouble to set up, plus it's a pain re: hammock entry. I would only fool with it if expecting a storm.

do you have trouble keeping the tarp centered from side to side? seems when you pull down ALOT on one side it just wants to roll to that side, then when you go to the other you fight the tension in the ridge.
    It's a bit tricky - I go back and forth one side to another tightening each side a little at a time, and I can keep it centered.

are you using bungies on the tarp - how tight do you go?
    Yes- I stretch them most of the way.

going to do a 'cold' test this weekend. temps should drop below 40. hopefully no rain. i'll carry some extra line in case i can't get this figured out. wish i could get to a hangout and see how others do it... and i see a DIY black cat in my future. (but i really really want to make the stock tarp work...)
    I understand the desire to make the stock tarp work. There are some advantages to the original design(and it's probably the lightest approach), and who wants to spend more money on a tarp when you just brought one? Getting the free Hex tarp substitution and tieing to the trees would be easier, but it will cost you nearly a pound on your back.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-24-2007 at 22:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123