Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Can I use this rope for suspension/whoopies?

Hey guys,

I went looking for non stretch rope to set up my 'one tree' hammock thingy (to make sure the stand doesn't trip over), and also for some rope that I could use as a whoopie sling.

I found one brand named MAMUTEC (not affiliated in any way), and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this? They have all sorts of 900kg ropes, so I guess that's fine (I'm 75kg).

However, I wonder if that kind of rope is good for making whoopies. They have all sorts of material, poly and so on for the ropes and technology I never knew existed for a rope lol.

Can anyone please help me out? The link below shows a clear description of the ropes and those were also in store. They were about 7 EUR for 10 meter, so I guess that's ok, no clue really what a rope should cost.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-1619-paraloc-lines.aspx

I'm seriously not affiliated, but I'm not from US and the ropes mentioned on this forum don't seem to exist here /shrugs.

To you experts: Which of the ropes could be OK? None perhaps? I'd really like to give whoopies a try. Also, are all ropes OK to keep up a pole that'll carry a 75kg boy/man ?

Thank you very much

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I don't know that you could splice that like you need to for a WS. The outside braid looks like it might cooperate, but the inside has those fibers in there, and that may hinder you getting the line back through itself.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    hello Ursule,
    I'm don't see why you couldn't use the rope you were looking at, As long it is hollow. Give it a try and let us know.. The other part to your question,can you use any rope... sure you can most people try to get the best strength to weight ratio. That's why amsteel is so popular it is so small in diameter and is strong as heck....
    So let us know what you discover with the rope project..

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    That rope has a core, so it won't work. In order to make whoopie slings, you need a rope/cord that has a hollow braid to it, such as Amsteel. As far as I know, Amsteel is still the golden standard for making whoopie slings.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Is this by any chance indicated on the packaging? Whether rope is hollow core or not?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Best I can tell from looking at the link you provided to the APS website, it apprears to have a core. This would make it unusable for whoopie sling applications.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    There are a few good hollow braid manufacturers this side of the pond, Ursele.

English Braids (my favourite) Marlow, Liros, Gottifredi Maffioli and others that I can't recall. You need some Hollow braid Dyneema line for whoopies. If its made from SK75, its essentially the same as amsteel blue.

English braids dynamic line is stronger than amsteel in the 2mm size too.

If you struggle to find some in Belgium, Im sure one of us europeans can help you out

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    On the APS site, look for "single braid" lines. The ones you linked to are "double braid" lines. Double braid lines can be spliced, but I don't think the adjustable bury used on the whoopie sling can be done in double braid lines. In general, from all of the instructions I have seen for splicing double braid lines, splicing double braid lines is possible, but it is a real PITA.

The single braid lines are listed here on the APS site. Any one of the ropes listed there will work well for a whoopie sling and should be easily strong enough for a hammock suspension. Most people use either 1/8" or 7/64". Good luck.

Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I think I found Dyneema rope: http://www.cordage.be/advanced_searc..._description=1

Which kind should I take? It seems called spectra, but I understood they are both the same

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Spectra and Dyneema are essentially the same. They are both made from UHMWPE(Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene) fibres.

The breaking strains on these cords are not quite as high as equivalent amsteel or English braids, but will be ample.
    380 DaN is not strong enough unless you weigh under 70 kgs and hang your hammock at about 30 degrees. The 3mm (900DaN or roughly 900kg off the top of my head) will be way strong enough if your over 70 kg.

2mm is equal to 7/64" and the 3mm is 1/8"

2mm http://www.cordage.be/cordonnet-spec...ire-p-946.html

3mm http://www.cordage.be/cordonnet-spec...re-p-1100.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast