Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images

Minimum strap height for "perfect" hang

Hi, all. Reading this thread got me thinking: how high on a tree is the bare minimum for a "perfect" hammock height?

Now, I know that "perfect" is somewhat subjective, dependent on personal taste, temperature concerns, how tall you are (what may be a perfect, gettin' in/gettin' out hammock height for one is frustratingly low for another), etc. I'm just speaking in averages here.

I'm also assuming an average minimum distance between trees that won't work for everyone. Given that my whoopie slings add a minimum of 20" to each end, and figuring 2" per side for other suspension (straps, dutch clips, toggles, biners, whatever), I figure 44" plus 100" (a completely arbitrary average structural ridge line length)...144", or 12'.

That seems to line up with figures I've seen on here--whoopieslings.com, for example, lists 12'-15' as a good ballpark for distance between trees, so 12' seems a workable minimum.

I found a cool right triangle calculator thingy. Using that, if I know the distance between trees, I can subtract the minimum 144" from that distance, divide it by two, input the numbers, and know exactly how much higher I need to put the tree straps in order to maintain my "perfect" height.

Now, before I get any "you're overthinking this" or "just wing it, and if it's not right, adjust until it's how you like it"...I know all that. I'm just sort of processing through this out loud, so to speak, so that I've got a ballpark figure in the back of my mind as I play around with hangs.

SO...all that said, any suggestions for a perfect tree strap height at minimum tree distance? 5'? 6'?

Example (assuming a 6' or 72" minimum):

I'm in a campground, ready to hang. My best option is a pair of trees 20' apart. Entering in the data (a=(240"-144")/2=48", A=30°), I get a result of 27.7", which I would then add to my "perfect" strap height. This means I should put the tree straps at approximately 8'4" from the ground.

Just having fun with numbers...I'm not a math guy, so I know this wasn't a particularly elegant way of posing this question. I also know that there are all sorts of things I haven't accounted for, like the fact that trees are rarely perfectly 90° from the ground, etc.

I'm really just wrapping my head around concepts, and this is how my processing works best.

Thanks! Hopefully I didn't put anyone to sleep!
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    8'4" sounds about right. I have two widely spaced trees in my backyard and the straps needed to be over 8 feet.
    there isn't a "perfect" number tho, since we all do things different, use different hammocks etc.

Go for what works for you!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    Usually as far up as my arms will reach...and adjust from there. That system seems to work for me lately.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    About 12'-15' apart and about shoulder height for me.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings

I took a little more scientific or newbie approach. I built an inclinometer out of a small 1/4" piece of plywood and string. I measure each side of my suspension until I get close to 30 degrees and about chair height off the ground (18 - 20" ). So I look for trees about 5 steps apart (roughly 15 feet and go from there)

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I like pictures. Check out this thread.
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    For me, a rough guide on the trail as I don't carry a tape measure: Nipples & Eyes. At the Perfect distance (14' for my current set up) the hammock Centered between the trees, on level ground; the head end is at nipple height for me, the foot end is at eye level.

Depending on the distance between trees & lay of the land, this rough measurement works most times. When the trees are far apart, the head end may start at eye level, with the foot end about 12 - 13 inches higher. I have hung my foot end at ground level, (touching the ground!) with my head end as high as I could reach & I spent a comfortable night in the hammock. Yea, the ground was that steep, no pics, as it was raining HARD & I did not yet have a waterproof camera.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by dvisic View Post
    SO...all that said, any suggestions for a perfect tree strap height at minimum tree distance? 5'? 6'?
    A caveat:
    You would need to calculate from your RL length and not the minimum suspension length, as you have to work from where the suspension is attached to the hammock.

For every 2 feet of length in the suspension as hung, there's one foot of drop end to end to make a 30° angle.

Given the calculation site you list and a suspension minimum of 144":

144" suspension minimum length - 100" RL length = 44". Divide by 2 for 22" on each end of the hammock for a minimum suspension length.

Using 22 as side c, and 30° as angle A, gives side b value of 19.1 inches - your minimum span would be 100+(2*19.1), or 138" - 11.5 feet.

The calculator shows side a as 11" - that would be the height over your RL that you would set your attachments.

For your campground example of a 20' hang, the numbers are:

70" on each end, attachment 40.4" above RL. Suspension length on each side would be 80.8"
    Mike

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Funny thing . . .

. . . I can't seem to find my slide rule when camping . . .

So I hang it - dang it - then try it . . .

Repeat if nessesary . . .

Sorry , just seemed like a funny thing to say
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Funny thing . . .

. . . I can't seem to find my slide rule when camping . . .

So I hang it - dang it - then try it . . .

Repeat if nessesary . . .

Sorry , just seemed like a funny thing to say

Just attach the suspension to the tree, tweak it to where the RL is half the suspension length underneath the attachment and you're good. Seems like the slack end of a whoopie sling or hugger after making your marlinspike hitch would be a decent ruler, no?

Here's something odd I found, playing with that calculator, though - to set RL length, you take 2" off every foot of hammock length, right? Well, to set suspension length at a 30° angle, you add 2" for every foot between the hammock and the tree. (or pretty darn close - 13.9" per foot distance).

Sorta interesting - or I thought so.
    Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast