WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

2nd Danish HF Hang in windy Siberia

The second Danish HF Hang was set to take place from Aug 25-26. The meteorologists fooled us once again, as we expected the weather to be calm and sunny - instead we got strong winds. Yeah we sure know how to plan Hangs!!

Before picking up Bomber, I kept a close watch on the weather forecasts, as I had planned to take my son with us. Being semi-vikings we accepted the challenge from Mother Nature and started hiking along the beautiful but windy coastline in Faxe Ladeplads.

Following the coast line is a forest area called Siberia (no we didn’t see any tigers ) and the plan was to hike a bit and then set up camp in a secluded area. With my 3 (almost 4) year old tagging along, the hiking distance had to be shortened a bit, so we found a suitable location a bit further down the trail.

The great(!?) minds of two HF members were tested, when trying to hang the hammocks in the best way possible, considering factors like wind, distance to bonfire, placing 2 hammocks under same tarp etc..

My son borrowed Bomber’s old hammock – (hope you’ll be able to get the zippers back on! ), and loved hammocking from the moment he tried it. He’ll turn 4 next month, so I guess it’s time for him to get a hammock of his own. Might be a few years before he registers here at HF though

Bomber recently got his Warbonnet Blackbird, so I was really excited to try it out and see what all the fuss is about. It’s just a piece of fabric, so how much difference can there really be? Short answer: A lot!!
    I’m getting a WBBB as soon as I come up with a good explanation for the Missus!

After setting up camp, we then walked to the beach – where we found out that throwing rocks into the water apparently is loads fun to both kids and grownups.

Back from the beach we gathered wood and prepared the fire (tip: using a Fallkniven F1 with a fire steel will boost the fire steel considerably!... or you can just use a BIC lighter ).

Cooking dinner we used our different cooking sets – Bomber used his UL stove (what's the brand again?), and I used my heavier (but “way cooler”) Crusader Cup directly in the ambers of the fire. Why is it just so cool to compare gear?

My son was really unhappy finding out that he forgot to pack any of his toys ……Dad then revealed a ‘Lion King’ book hiding in the backpack (no – it’s not mine )….. Seeing your kid react like that – priceless!! He then retreated to his hammock and eventually fell asleep.

The rest of the night was spent discussing life in general, our gear, being dads and several other important subjects. The fresh air mixed with good Danish beer, eventually made my eye lids VERY heavy and sitting on the ground for so long did a number on my back. I decided to rest a bit in the hammock… the last I heard that night was Bombers muffled voice saying something, but sleep was already taking over.

Early morning brought chilly temperatures around 50F (10C) and made my tiny thin fleece blanket somewhat ineffective. Luckily I’m a warm sleeper, so it wasn’t too bad, even in spite of that darn Therm-a-rest (who said UQ?!) … after checking that my son was warm enough, I decided to let the Claytor JH rock me back to sleep.

My son woke me up a few hours later with a positive, loud and very energetic: ‘DAD, IT’S MORNING NOW!!!’… No matter how his dad tried to ignore him, he insisted on getting responses for his endless row of questions – I didn’t want to wake up at all, but I knew from past experience that he’s no quitter and that he’d end up jumping into my hammock if ignored too long

Bomber was still sleeping in his WBBB, so I knew that it would take a while for him to wake up… Not willing to wait any longer, my son repeatedly told me to get the pancakes! Following orders from His Royal Highness Prince Hammock, I prepared our breakfast. When Bomber finally woke up, we had already finished eating our breakfast and had started packing a few things.

An hour or so later we had packed everything and cleaned up the camp site, we then hiked back the trail along the (now) calm ocean. A beautiful short hike back to the car and we ended the second Danish hang!

All in all a great overnight hang shared with a like-minded guy, who I’m proud to call my friend – truly amazing that an Internet forum can create friendships like that!

Status upon returning from this Hang: I want Whoopie slings, a WBBB, a TQ and an UQ so bad!!
    The creators of HF should be held personally responsible for all the miserable members wanting all the new gear they can't afford

Looking forward to the next Hang in Denmark, where we’ll be joined by fellow HF member saupacker from Germany - and maybe a few other forum members, if we can stir enough interest!? It would be cool to attend a hang with 3+ different nationalities! Think about it

/Wild

NB. A short video will follow as soon as we get the chance to edit it. Apologies to Shug for not recording any video with Danish hammock narration as promised…. We’ll get the camera rolling some more at the next hang!

We'll also try to include a few more pics later on
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Way to go that is the way to introduce the next generation to the joys of hammock hammock hanging. Thanks for the very nice report.
    Terry

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    First..... Thanks for the kind words, i truly appreciate it and feel the same way
    And thanks for another great trip.

My stove setup is a combo of these two sets:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/goto-stove.php

http://minibulldesigncult.webs.com/a...s/show/1229824

Small and light, makes real easy to cook from the hammock. It´s the perfect size for 1 person needing hot water....

By the way; great kid you have

/Bomber

P.s Yeah... i sleep late in my new wbbb, best sleep i ve had for years
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good to hear! Sounds like a great trip (even if you didn't see any tigers)
    Looking forward too seeing the pictures!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Trade you rattlesnakes for tigers anytime! Good report, waiting on your next one.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Thanks for sharing a great time! Both you and your son will remember these times forever. He's a lucky kid to have such a great dad!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thank you for all the nice comments!

I hope to brainwash my son enough, so that I'll always have a companion on my future trips.... If it doesn't work out, I also have a 1½ month old son, who will get his first hammock a bit earlier than expected

/Wild

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird dble coy br
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11ft
    Insulation
    UQ winter incub
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Wild, very good stuff! Great report and seems to have been a real good outing, too.
    F1 and crusader cup? We even use the same outfit! Quite looking forward to our first one!
    Till then and all the best!
    Saupacker

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by saupacker View Post
    Wild, very good stuff! Great report and seems to have been a real good outing, too.
    Thanks saupacker, it was really good one! Looking forward to seeing you at the next Hang!

Quote Originally Posted by saupacker View Post
    F1 and crusader cup? We even use the same outfit!
    Cool! I really like your style a lot

/Wild

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Great report and thank you for taking us along on this family journey!!!!!!! If he made it thoogh the first night, I think he will make it through the rest with ya. I have found that little boys, of all ages, love being outside and investigating nature.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast