WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap

Universal IX UQ question

Set up my IX UQ today with plans to sleep in the blackbird tonight. Its not like the other IQ's, so Im asking to see how anyone uses it. The bungee straps are fixed length and not adjustable. They do not come with biners like the others do. Is there a certain way this UQ was designed to be used on the hammock?

I initially looped the bungee over the whipped ends (since added small s biners just in case). the foot and head ends are open a bit. no way to adjust the ends like on other quilts. Not sure if thats an issue? Just wondering if there was a different way to attach this IX UQ that I'm not aware of?

Edit: as I slept in it last night... foot end ended up sealing the foot as it should, but the head end was loose. I dont have any extra cord locks to use. Seems like the pull outs & shelf of the BB prevented the head end from wrapping up as much as the foot end, so there was considerable venting in that area. I slept well until it got to the coldest part of the morn (54 degrees) then it was a bit chilly). Also, 3 corners have black crosgrain loops, one has a white one. Is that supposed to tell me it goes in a certain place on the hammock?

Hopefully MacEntyre will get up with his coffee and chime in...
    Last edited by Harpo63; 08-27-2010 at 05:29.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    MacEntyre will give you a better answer I'm sure, but until then:

You want the edges to touch the hammock with no gaps. You want the IX material to not touch the hammock. You want the head end to cover your shoulders but not your head/neck. You can adjust the tension by putting a cord lock on each end with both sides of the bungee going through it. You can also get it to lay on the diagonal by shortening up one side of the bungee and lengthening on the other side, same things can be accomplished with knotwork, the cord locks are easier.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Just got my MollyMacGear IX UQ 3/4 2 weeks ago and took it on a trip last week to the Wind River Range in WY with a borrowed Hennessy Ultralite Explorer.

The white tab is suppose to be at your right shoulder. That's how you get the material right side out. Hope that helps.

I was comfortable during the night with temps at mid 50's. I added a emergency space blanket inside the hammock when the temps went lo 50's and below. I'm just getting into hammocking so my under insulation system is not quite dialed in.

Note: I was able to position the top side at the top level of my shoulders. MacEntrye's video shows the top should be positioned at the shoulder around the armpit level. But I still got a good seal a little higher than that. But I do have broad shoulders, maybe that makes a difference.

Coming: I've got my Blackbird hammock now and will post my review of it using that same IX UQ 3/4 in a couple of weeks. Will see how it works with the BB.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Thanks Wildgene. White tab at right shoulder. This morn I switched it around and the white tab is in the right place now. Will sleep out again tomorrow night and test it. That means I just need to dial it in to fit right.

Did yours just come with the bungee strap and no clips or anything? All the other UQs Ive bought come with clips, so I wasnt sure if this had its own particular way of hanging not needing clips or not, which might help dial it in?

I havent heard back from MacEntire yet on this, I guess he's out field testing!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildgene View Post
    Just got my MollyMacGear IX UQ 3/4 2 weeks ago and took it on a trip last week to the Wind River Range in WY with a borrowed Hennessy Ultralite Explorer.

The white tab is suppose to be at your right shoulder. That's how you get the material right side out. Hope that helps.

I was comfortable during the night with temps at mid 50's. I added a emergency space blanket inside the hammock when the temps went lo 50's and below. I'm just getting into hammocking so my under insulation system is not quite dialed in.

Note: I was able to position the top side at the top level of my shoulders. MacEntrye's video shows the top should be positioned at the shoulder around the armpit level. But I still got a good seal a little higher than that. But I do have broad shoulders, maybe that makes a difference.

Coming: I've got my Blackbird hammock now and will post my review of it using that same IX UQ 3/4 in a couple of weeks. Will see how it works with the BB.
    "right side out"....I never knew there was a right side out. I have one of the first Universals and don't recall a white tab. Guess I'll have to check Mac's web site. I've been using his quilt a ton this summer and love it. I stayed warm into the low 40s last night in upstate NY.

Miguel

Thanks, Miguel

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock - Tropical
    Tarp
    S to S Tarp Poncho
    Insulation
    Mont Sleeping Bags
    Images
    I use a Mac Universal 3/4 IX UQ for my Clark Tropical II and I went out and bought two little carabiners for $2 a pop. I then just clip the cord to the tabs on the hammock. It just helps as I toss and turn throughout the night and the UQ ends up pulled to oneside. The clips will prevent that.

Whether the clips should be included...well it's a universal hammock. Clips may work with some and may not for others. My hammock can use four clips but I choose only two to save on weight. So I think he leaves it to the user and cuts back on the purchase price.

I find the fixed length really works for me. It sits at the shoulders just right and I don't have to worry about it moving around. The 3/4 length is great, however on really cold nights I put my spare thermal top around my feet to keep them warm.

This is all really good feedback for Mac. Possibly he could include a small (nothing fancy) flyer that explains the white tab, techniques of use, and further modifications a user can do.
    Cocksy from Down Under

http://www.seqhistory.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    Set up my IX UQ today with plans to sleep in the blackbird tonight. Its not like the other IQ's, so Im asking to see how anyone uses it. The bungee straps are fixed length and not adjustable. ......

Edit: as I slept in it last night... foot end ended up sealing the foot as it should, but the head end was loose. I dont have any extra cord locks to use. Seems like the pull outs & shelf of the BB prevented the head end from wrapping up as much as the foot end, so there was considerable venting in that area. I slept well until it got to the coldest part of the morn (54 degrees) then it was a bit chilly). Also, 3 corners have black crosgrain loops, one has a white one. Is that supposed to tell me it goes in a certain place on the hammock?

Hopefully MacEntyre will get up with his coffee and chime in...
    You probably have already figured this out by now. But, in addition to there being a "right side out", mine ( an early model) has a "fixed" bungee suspension system, actually designed as a good fit for for the HH Explorer SS. But, when using it with other hammocks, it is just a matter of either letting the bungees be tighter than usual, or rigging up a little bit of cord to run from the end of the hammock to the bungee, negating the extra length involved.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocksy_86 View Post

This is all really good feedback for Mac. Possibly he could include a small (nothing fancy) flyer that explains the white tab, techniques of use, and further modifications a user can do.
    Yes, but not only Mac. Stormcrow and I were recently talking about that and how it would be good for the cottage guys (or all vendors) to start including simple instructions if it makes sense because they all are trying to stand out from eachother by having something "better or different" so some techniques to use that particular quilt or whatnot may be different than how you might use or connect it with a piece of equipment from different vendors.

It was mentioned here that someone picked up a tip from watching one of the videos. Well, if thats the case, then I wouldn't rely on it because either a new purchaser may not know about it or they have a hearing loss of some sort (Im deaf, and the number of people who are having problems hearing are increasing), so all those cool videos that are coming out on HF are like watching a silent film for me. (Now I can see Shug doing a Charlie Chaplain video with blurbs popping up!) So I or someone who cant use that would not pick up any tips or instructions for use of that particular item. But just about everyone can benefit from printed instructions/diagrams included with the purchase. Ive learned that Im not the only one here who is confused sometimes and have to try to figure a new piece of equipment and ends up trying to contact the vendor with questions. That would be the feedback for the cottage guys out here.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    Thanks Wildgene. White tab at right shoulder. This morn I switched it around and the white tab is in the right place now. Will sleep out again tomorrow night and test it. That means I just need to dial it in to fit right.

Did yours just come with the bungee strap and no clips or anything? All the other UQs Ive bought come with clips, so I wasnt sure if this had its own particular way of hanging not needing clips or not, which might help dial it in?

I havent heard back from MacEntire yet on this, I guess he's out field testing!
    At each end I have the fixed bungee cord loop. And it fit just right the Hennessy Ultralite Explorer I borrowed. But now I have my WBBB and will have to test the fit with it.
    I did have to adjust the sliding tarp cord. Which meant sometimes I had to secure the tarp to the hammock using excess cord that secure the hammock to the tree. But overall it was no big whoop.
    However, I will have to come up with an easy, permanent position on the new Blackbird since this will be my go to shelter..

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 once
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    what temps can i bring the quilt down the the web site says 32

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast