Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member TheWild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    492

    Comfortable temps in Winter Incubator?

    I just ordered Stormcrows Winter Incubator (+ Winter Burrow) for use in those low temps… but I was wondering in what temp ranges do other Incubator owners feel comfortable? How high and how low can you go and how do ya do it?

    I know that using both the Winter Incubator and Winter Burrow will probably cook me in summer temps, but I’m also curious to find out if it’s possible to use the Incubator alone (combined with another top insulation of course) in fall and early spring?

    Any other comments and suggestions regarding the Winter Incubator (particularly used together with the Winter Burrow) will be much appreciated.

    Also how does one survive the waiting time.... can't wait!!

    /Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

  2. #2
    Senior Member Raul Perez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Posts
    2,363
    Images
    49
    I know Stormcrow makes sick gear but I use Warbonnet's TQ and UQ for both winter and 3 season. All things being relatively equal I got my 3 season versions down to 38* and was comfortable and around 65* it was getting a little too toasty.

    On the flip side I got my winter version down to 3* and was pushing its limit. But at 34* it was getting a bit toasty.

    Hope this helps.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

    The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

    http://watermonkey.net/

    Youtube Channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

  3. #3
    Senior Member TheWild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I know Stormcrow makes sick gear but I use Warbonnet's TQ and UQ for both winter and 3 season. All things being relatively equal I got my 3 season versions down to 38* and was comfortable and around 65* it was getting a little too toasty.

    On the flip side I got my winter version down to 3* and was pushing its limit. But at 34* it was getting a bit toasty.

    Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your input Raul - it's appreciated

    Even though it's not the same setup, it still gives me an idea of what to expect.

    Have you tried one of your UQ's with another top insulation?

    /Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

  4. #4
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,342
    I have the Crowsnest (3s) and I have had it down to 32* and was toasty warm in my skivvies, was using the Golite 3s TQ!

  5. #5
    Senior Member TheWild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I have the Crowsnest (3s) and I have had it down to 32* and was toasty warm in my skivvies, was using the Golite 3s TQ!
    Guess my incubator will keep warm through the winter, no matter what temps I'm facing here in Denmark...

    I'm hoping that our Swedish HF members will organize a winter hang as they mentioned earlier - might face extreme cold up there

    /Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Harpo63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Posts
    533
    One thing I have learned is that MacEntyre's Molly Mack Gear IX Hammock sock will add about 10 to 20 (not sure which) degrees of warmth to your gear. So conceivably, you could combine a sock with your winter or 3 season quilts and allow you to handle colder temps better. Good insurance or allows you to use some of your 3 season stuff in the winter too.

  7. #7
    Senior Member TheWild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    One thing I have learned is that MacEntyre's Molly Mack Gear IX Hammock sock will add about 10 to 20 (not sure which) degrees of warmth to your gear. So conceivably, you could combine a sock with your winter or 3 season quilts and allow you to handle colder temps better. Good insurance or allows you to use some of your 3 season stuff in the winter too.
    Cool! Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out

    I've seen an IX UQ and was quite impressed with the material.

    /Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

  8. #8
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    15,458
    Images
    62
    Having had the pleasure to hike with Stormcrow and having seen, felt and heard him talk of his style and love of his work..... I am sure that you are good to 0ºF for certain.
    Depends one how warm blooded you may be.
    To get down to lower temps put a pad or some Reflectix under your buttocks and back. If windy add a weather-shield. It is an easy DIY project. Mine weighs 7ounces with shock-cord. That keeps a lot of heat in on the UQ side.

    Hot water bottle in with you...... then your water will not freeze and you are good to go at breakfast.
    Make sure wrists and neck are protected. Helps when sleeping in sub 0º temps.
    Balaclava, wool or fleece hat and down hood in the winter ...... mighty good.

    Sleep with less clothes than you think you will need .... add as the night goes...
    I get up to pee and add a layer at 5:00AM-ish. Always pee time and I am half dressed for morning.
    Less sweat in the TQ that way. For me anyway. I did this all last winter here in c-c-c-old Minnesota and had less frost on the TQ and slept better.

    I think you are going to be real pleased with your new gear in cool/cold weather.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 08-29-2010 at 00:21. Reason: too many Shugs
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

    Shug's YouTube Videos

  9. #9
    Senior Member TheWild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Having had the pleasure to hike with Stormcrow and having seen, felt and heard him talk of his style and love of his work..... I am sure that you are good to 0ºF for certain.
    Depends one how warm blooded you may be.
    To get down to lower temps put a pad or some Reflectix under your buttocks and back. If windy add a weather-shield. It is an easy DIY project. Mine weighs 7ounces with shock-cord. That keeps a lot of heat in on the UQ side.

    Hot water bottle in with you...... then your water will not freeze and you are good to go at breakfast.
    Make sure wrists and neck are protected. Helps when sleeping in sub 0º temps.
    Balaclava, wool or fleece hat and down hood in the winter ...... mighty good.

    Sleep with less clothes than you think you will need .... add as the night goes...
    I get up to pee and add a layer at 5:00AM-ish. Always pee time and I am half dressed for morning.
    Less sweat in the TQ that way. For me anyway. I did this all last winter here in c-c-c-old Minnesota and had less frost on the TQ and slept better.

    I think you are going to be real pleased with your new gear in cool/cold weather.
    Shug
    Thanks for all the valuable advice!
    I think that I would've added a thousand layers of clothing at the first 0ºF hang, if it wasn't for your post

    What material do you use for weather-shields?

    Btw....I'm sure that the Buff will be used as winter insulation as well
    And please let me pay

    /Wild

    The PM was sent before I saw your response in this thread, so I just realized that I was tellin' ya about things you already knew
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

  10. #10
    Senior Member G.L.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Schuylkill Co. PA
    Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    5,108
    i have a winter crowsnest and had it down to 7 degrees and was HOT.....
    trust me you will not be cold

    i think the limit for my crowsnest would be -10 degrees
    i think 0 degrees is a safe number for the winter Incubator
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Similar Threads

  1. 40* incubator temps
    By codya95 in forum Hammock Gear
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 13:18
  2. How hot would a 0* incubator be comfortable to?
    By Panics in forum Hammock Gear
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 10:15
  3. Winter Incubator
    By flair4040 in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 10:30
  4. Just got new Winter Incubator!
    By CTGuy in forum Hammock Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 09:12
  5. thermarest or ccf for winter temps?
    By landcruzr in forum Pads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 20:11

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •