WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Comfortable temps in Winter Incubator?

I just ordered Stormcrows Winter Incubator (+ Winter Burrow) for use in those low temps… but I was wondering in what temp ranges do other Incubator owners feel comfortable? How high and how low can you go and how do ya do it?

I know that using both the Winter Incubator and Winter Burrow will probably cook me in summer temps, but I’m also curious to find out if it’s possible to use the Incubator alone (combined with another top insulation of course) in fall and early spring?

Any other comments and suggestions regarding the Winter Incubator (particularly used together with the Winter Burrow) will be much appreciated.

Also how does one survive the waiting time.... can't wait!!

/Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I know Stormcrow makes sick gear but I use Warbonnet's TQ and UQ for both winter and 3 season. All things being relatively equal I got my 3 season versions down to 38* and was comfortable and around 65* it was getting a little too toasty.

On the flip side I got my winter version down to 3* and was pushing its limit. But at 34* it was getting a bit toasty.

Hope this helps.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I know Stormcrow makes sick gear but I use Warbonnet's TQ and UQ for both winter and 3 season. All things being relatively equal I got my 3 season versions down to 38* and was comfortable and around 65* it was getting a little too toasty.

On the flip side I got my winter version down to 3* and was pushing its limit. But at 34* it was getting a bit toasty.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your input Raul - it's appreciated

Even though it's not the same setup, it still gives me an idea of what to expect.

Have you tried one of your UQ's with another top insulation?

/Wild

I have the Crowsnest (3s) and I have had it down to 32* and was toasty warm in my skivvies, was using the Golite 3s TQ!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I have the Crowsnest (3s) and I have had it down to 32* and was toasty warm in my skivvies, was using the Golite 3s TQ!
    Guess my incubator will keep warm through the winter, no matter what temps I'm facing here in Denmark...

I'm hoping that our Swedish HF members will organize a winter hang as they mentioned earlier - might face extreme cold up there

/Wild

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    One thing I have learned is that MacEntyre's Molly Mack Gear IX Hammock sock will add about 10 to 20 (not sure which) degrees of warmth to your gear. So conceivably, you could combine a sock with your winter or 3 season quilts and allow you to handle colder temps better. Good insurance or allows you to use some of your 3 season stuff in the winter too.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    One thing I have learned is that MacEntyre's Molly Mack Gear IX Hammock sock will add about 10 to 20 (not sure which) degrees of warmth to your gear. So conceivably, you could combine a sock with your winter or 3 season quilts and allow you to handle colder temps better. Good insurance or allows you to use some of your 3 season stuff in the winter too.
    Cool! Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out

I've seen an IX UQ and was quite impressed with the material.

/Wild

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Having had the pleasure to hike with Stormcrow and having seen, felt and heard him talk of his style and love of his work..... I am sure that you are good to 0ºF for certain.
    Depends one how warm blooded you may be.
    To get down to lower temps put a pad or some Reflectix under your buttocks and back. If windy add a weather-shield. It is an easy DIY project. Mine weighs 7ounces with shock-cord. That keeps a lot of heat in on the UQ side.

Hot water bottle in with you...... then your water will not freeze and you are good to go at breakfast.
    Make sure wrists and neck are protected. Helps when sleeping in sub 0º temps.
    Balaclava, wool or fleece hat and down hood in the winter ...... mighty good.

Sleep with less clothes than you think you will need .... add as the night goes...
    I get up to pee and add a layer at 5:00AM-ish. Always pee time and I am half dressed for morning.
    Less sweat in the TQ that way. For me anyway. I did this all last winter here in c-c-c-old Minnesota and had less frost on the TQ and slept better.

I think you are going to be real pleased with your new gear in cool/cold weather.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 08-28-2010 at 23:21. Reason: too many Shugs
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Having had the pleasure to hike with Stormcrow and having seen, felt and heard him talk of his style and love of his work..... I am sure that you are good to 0ºF for certain.
    Depends one how warm blooded you may be.
    To get down to lower temps put a pad or some Reflectix under your buttocks and back. If windy add a weather-shield. It is an easy DIY project. Mine weighs 7ounces with shock-cord. That keeps a lot of heat in on the UQ side.

Hot water bottle in with you...... then your water will not freeze and you are good to go at breakfast.
    Make sure wrists and neck are protected. Helps when sleeping in sub 0º temps.
    Balaclava, wool or fleece hat and down hood in the winter ...... mighty good.

Sleep with less clothes than you think you will need .... add as the night goes...
    I get up to pee and add a layer at 5:00AM-ish. Always pee time and I am half dressed for morning.
    Less sweat in the TQ that way. For me anyway. I did this all last winter here in c-c-c-old Minnesota and had less frost on the TQ and slept better.

I think you are going to be real pleased with your new gear in cool/cold weather.
    Shug
    Thanks for all the valuable advice!
    I think that I would've added a thousand layers of clothing at the first 0ºF hang, if it wasn't for your post

What material do you use for weather-shields?

Btw....I'm sure that the Buff will be used as winter insulation as well
    And please let me pay

/Wild

The PM was sent before I saw your response in this thread, so I just realized that I was tellin' ya about things you already knew

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i have a winter crowsnest and had it down to 7 degrees and was HOT.....
    trust me you will not be cold

i think the limit for my crowsnest would be -10 degrees
    i think 0 degrees is a safe number for the winter Incubator
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast