Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I would rather pay the price for the couple of extra ounces the bug net cost me and not have to worry about if the bugs are out or not.

Many times when I hiked the AT in my youth I would try and sleep under the stars with out setting my tent (hey it was the 70's) only to end up having to set up the tent due to skeeters.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I'm so jealous of you guys! Here in N. Ontario, if you go without a bugnet, you WILL be carried off by either blackflies, mosquitos, no see-ums, you name it. I camped one weekend this summer where it looked like I had a rash on both my shoulders from the mosquito bites - right through my hammock as my underpad shifted during the night and it was so hot I had pushed my sleeping back to the bottom of the hammock.
    Debi

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Luckily the bugs relaxed enough for me to go without mine a bit ago when we camped in the smokies. That bugnet seems to provoke my claustrophobia no end.

High tarp and no net (skeeters permitting) - right on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I wish I could go skeeterless but where I like to campe critters glore. I wouldent of sleeped a wink this summer on the LT if it wasent for my bug net although I would of love to sleep with out one. Feel the air flow is so much better with out. But in Fall and Winter I like to pull the bugnet back on my WBBB. Im hopeing to have a travler by the winter time (fingers crossed fingers crossed)
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post

You black fly country and mosquito swamp campers out there can just take my apology in advance for minimizing your need for a bugnet, but I like my tarp up high and no bug net when I sleep

cooldays
    I've just returned from the Neusiok Trail (Croatan Nat. Forest) which is a true swamp trail. I took a group of my younger Boy Scouts out there for a weekend backpacking trip. We were INFESTED with chiggers and ticks!!! One kid counted 74 seed ticks as he pulled them off himself. And that was just one scout. All the rest of us were doing the same thing, just not counting. Now a bug net wouldn't help with this situation but after we mostly dealt with the ticks we could find, then the skeeters came out. Next was the knats. Oh, and the big red ants. Of all the strange things, the ants were falling out of the trees!!! Even with my hammock having a bug net, I still managed to get a red ant inside with me because the thing was on top of my head!!
    On the plus side, we did see bear sign and bobcat tracks. Oh, I think the shelter we stayed at on Saturday night might have been flea infested.

The skeeters and the knats were almost an after thought by that time. Or as they say, it's just "icing on the cake".

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I've just returned from the Neusiok Trail (Croatan Nat. Forest) which is a true swamp trail. I took a group of my younger Boy Scouts out there for a weekend backpacking trip. We were INFESTED with chiggers and ticks!!! One kid counted 74 seed ticks as he pulled them off himself. And that was just one scout. All the rest of us were doing the same thing, just not counting. Now a bug net wouldn't help with this situation but after we mostly dealt with the ticks we could find, then the skeeters came out. Next was the knats. Oh, and the big red ants. Of all the strange things, the ants were falling out of the trees!!! Even with my hammock having a bug net, I still managed to get a red ant inside with me because the thing was on top of my head!!
    On the plus side, we did see bear sign and bobcat tracks. Oh, I think the shelter we stayed at on Saturday night might have been flea infested.

The skeeters and the knats were almost an after thought by that time. Or as they say, it's just "icing on the cake".

Whew. Sounds horrible. I got tore up by mosquitos last weekend on an overnighter at Badin lake. I didn't feel em bitin me, but the next day I was covered in bites. That was before I got into the hammock. If I hadn't have had a bug net I would have been sorry.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    LOL, when was that? Also, what elevation? My experience with this was up at 5,000', I bet it would have been different down on the Lakeshore.
    Probably 3000'. Luckily the ear bombers and eye gnats went away at night, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    graydog, that's a kewl virtual hammock in your gallery!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I've just returned from the Neusiok Trail (Croatan Nat. Forest)
    Hey TinaLouise, My son and I were out there Sat night hanging along the Nuese river part of the trail and we had no bugs. Which shelter did you stay at ?

I stoped hiking the trail in May due the number of ticks and deer flies and do not plan to start hiking it again until the weather cools off some more. Much nicer to camp and hike this trail when it is cool/cold out.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    bump for impington who just asked the same question more or less

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast