HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    That was basically what I was thinking. Either Rock bridge for a communal hang with some day hike options, or something around Koomer Ridge Campground for a Friday night group pitch in, then hike out to Grey's, then down Rough for camping, then a hike out on Sunday morning back to Koomer.. Good Parking, Easy Spot to set up as a Communal Camp, good access for a pitchin.

P.S. on a side note I would like to appologize again for having to bail out on the last Backpacking Trip to RRG. I had way too much on my plate with a new business and school, and home.. I have since withdrawn from school, and we are done with the biz in Sept. I do plan on attending and will offer info, but would feel wierd heading it off again. I dont want anyone fearing the organizer will flake..

Thank you all and Ill see you in RRG
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    I hope things get better for your job status RP, last year I was unemployed for the hang and thankfully found a wonderful job about 5 months ago. If you show up, maybe I could hand off my lucky $2 bill.

I like the pitch-in idea, but I also like the day hiking idea and not moving around too much. I don't really care either way, just want to get myself and my fiance out in some cooler temps. This blistering heat is for the birds. Probably only phoenixes, really.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    The Rock Bridge loop is only about a mile and a half long, but it does have access to another trail close by which has access to good views. Also this is one my favorite little trips in the Gorge. It has plenty of access to water as well.
    Chris

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Just a Bump on this to see if there is any discussion.

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    If we want a "New area" AND killer views, I suggest the Auxier ridge area.
    This area is at / near the end of Tunnel ridge rd. For those who want a long walk in, park at the first parking lot, for those wanting a shorter hike, continue to the end of TRR. One of my favorite arches is Double arch. There is ample (when I was there last) water, & near the jct of Auxier Branch trail & the trail to Double arch is a large area for gathering, & for us at least, camping for dozens, although this is quite spread out & will test your hanging skills. Just down stream (5 - 10 minute walk) is a area where about 8 hammocks could hang, but there is a "DO NOT CAMP HERE" sign. A few yards further is another large hanging area with no sign.

The above (1st) site is about 1/2 mile from the last parking lot, or about
    option #1: Auxier ridge (1.1) to Auxier Branch (0.8) 1.9 miles
    option #2: Auxier ridge (about 1/2 mile of it) to Courthouse rock trail (2.1) to Auxier Branch trail (about 1/2 mile of it) so about 3.1 miles.

The 1 mile trail to Double arch is well worth the hike!! For the brave, there are a few campsites on TOP of the arch, no water! For those hiking in on option #1 you will see double arch from a very large flat rock along here. Along all of the trails are many nice campsites, especially for us, but no water on the ridges, only along Auxier Branch.

IF we do rock Bridge, might I suggest (& its about a 2 mile walk in) camping above "Pooches falls" on Swift Creek camp trl. It's a nice "Moderate" walk, water is near in the form of the stream that feeds the falls, Views can be had all along the trail and above / behind the campsite.
    Directions: park at the Rock bridge parking lot, choose which ever way you want, it's 1/2 mile to rock bridge regardless of how you go, but if not wanting to see the bridge, the left trail is a shorter walk. At the jct, follow the SCC trl (#219) past Hells Kitchen. Along the way you will cross several small streams, keep an eye out for the falls: They fall into a large cove to your right, if water is flowing, you won't be able to miss em. JUST past the stream, is a very narrow path to your left, about 30' in is the start of the camping area. Not much of an area for Groundlings, but for us it ROCKS.

If camping on Rock Bridge trail, there is a large heavily used area right at the bridge*. So 1/2 mile in.

*Before and after.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Doc,

I agree on the Auxier Ridge Trail for the views, but hesitated for any group larger then 8 or so... The camping there is minimal, especially since they have started hanging more signs for no camping.

I have been to the falls there, and think that would be an especially wonderful place to have a hang, as longs as people didnt mind the hike it would be great... Although not long, it wouldnt be condusive to having a lot of stationary gear...

I am a sucker for the Rough Trail betwee Grey's and Koomer. There are so many rock formations and caves and even a few views, great valleys and stong hiking. Not saying we should all hang there, just expressing some love for the RRG.

You are far more experienced in the RRG than I so I appreciate you discussing this subject further.

"dirt"

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    The pic in my avatar is from a dayhike to Rock Bridge. It was up the hill a little ways, but looking right down to Swift Camp Creek you could hear the water going over Creations Falls.
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Honestly, name a trail in RRG & I'm "all over it" & ready to hike. The preceding was just a suggestion or 3.

I haven't been to Auxier in about 2 years, may go this weekend (Mon, Tue, Wed) just for grins. Had to cut last trip there short as my (Florida Native) hiking partner got a bit chilled. But it's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    Doc,

I agree on the Auxier Ridge Trail for the views, but hesitated for any group larger then 8 or so... The camping there is minimal, especially since they have started hanging more signs for no camping.

I have been to the falls there, and think that would be an especially wonderful place to have a hang, as longs as people didn't mind the hike it would be great... Although not long, it wouldn't be conducive to having a lot of stationary gear...

I am a sucker for the Rough Trail between Grey's and Koomer. There are so many rock formations and caves and even a few views, great valleys and strong hiking. Not saying we should all hang there, just expressing some love for the RRG.

You are far more experienced in the RRG than I so I appreciate you discussing this subject further.

"dirt"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12