Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    In your defence, I am slowly understanding the "temps we can stand" between northerners & southerners. I'm from the midwest, & my work partner is from southern Fla, What I sleep in comfortabley & what he freezes in is remarkable. temps I'm comfy in my OLD 35 degree bag & loosly hung KAQ, he "freezes" in his -20 degree bag. SO, you may have made a good decision going into a tent with someone else.
    He has been a transplanted northerner for over 5 years.

Give a few at home tries to determine what you can stand, it will all work out! Perhaps next time you get a chance, hang in your hammock till you cannot stand it, then bail to a warm place.

Doctari.
    I think your note on tolerance levels is right on the mark! I grew up in MI, yea, it gets cold there, but I enjoyed it (at the time.)

Lived 18 years in FL and the last 3 in AL. I think my cold tolerance is shot! I recall my first few years in FL... we made it a point to go to the beach for Christmas, and we swam! About year 5, all that changed! I do think alot of it has to do with how the humidity in the south makes the temps feel much colder than they actually are.

OK... now.... what do I need to be doing to protect myself from the wind? Again, I have the HH Desert Rat, with the oversized fly (not the standard), a RidgeRest pad, older model KAQ, and a MontBell 15* stretch bag. As a side note... I need to be warm to sleep!
    Last edited by Cuffs; 10-29-2007 at 21:09. Reason: Added comment
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I hate wind in temps below 80F...I spend a lot of time and attention to hammock placement; this is why I want a larger tarp as I use it as a wind-block...on my last trip temps were in the low 40's with winds gusts above 25mph (I have a wind gauge) and occasional rain...I used all 5 tie-outs the windward side of the tarp to stop that wind from getting to me in my hammock...one of the things I noticed, the temperature was noticeably warmer under my tarp that it was outside it...up here wind-chill is a factor in our winter weather reports...it affects me in all seasons...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12