Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Talking Hammock Forums Google Map

It was suggested in another thread to start a Google Map showing the locations of members of hammock forums. I thought this might be a fun little project.

Until recently I had been the sole editor of the Google map and the only one who add, edit, and remove info on the map. Due to some requests I opened the map up so that anyone who has a Google account (Google checkout, Picasa Web Albums, Google Pages, Gmail, etc) is able to sign in and edit the map. I will continue to leave the map open to public editing as long as it's not abused or defaced.

I am also asking those who have a Google account to help me add people and maintain the map. If you add someone to the map please reply in this thread and confirm the addition so that names will not be added twice.

EDIT: The Hammock Forums Google Map has grown to several pages. If you add yourself or someone to the map you will be listed on the last page. Please check the last page before attempting to add yourself again. Thanks.

With the map being open to public editing, there are a couple of ways to add yourself to the map. If you do not have a Google account of some sort then all you need to do is reply to this thread and ask to be added to the map. You will need to include the following information:

1. HF Username
    2. Location including city, state, and zip code.

When adding yourself or someone else to the map it would probably be best to add the place marker so that it does not point to one's front door. Unfortunately, in these days and times, there are unscrupulous individuals that might take advantage of this information if they know that no one will be home, say if you are out hiking or attending a HF hang out. Better safe than sorry.

If you do have a Google account and would like to add yourself to the map or help out by adding others to the map, here's how you go about it. First you will need to bring up the HF Google map by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page and save the HF map to your Google account:

Once you have saved the map to your account your are ready to start editing. Sign in and bring up the map. From here you can click the edit button to perform various functions:

Finding a location is pretty easy. Just type in the info in the search bar and hit enter and it will automatically zoom in and bring the area up on the map. Once you have found the location that you are looking for the next step is to place an icon in that location. You will see the placemark icon on the top left corner of the map. It looks like a blue tear drop. Once you have clicked on the placemark icon you will get a blue tear drop that moves around with your mouse pointer. You simply click the spot on the map where you would like the icon to be and it will drop it right there. You can also move icons around while in edit mode. Simply left click on the icon and hold down the mouse button while dragging the icon to it's new location.

Once you have dropped the icon on the map a balloon will pop up. Enter your HF username in the "Title" field. From here you can also change the icon to a different picture and add pictures and links in the larger box under the "Title" field. You can edit someone's info at any time by clicking on their name in the left hand column or on their placemark icon while in edit mode.

Be sure to click the save button before exiting the HF Google Map!

Click Here to View Hammock Forums' Google Map.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 07-14-2008 at 09:32.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very cool; thanks headchange4u!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I just added a place mark for the Mid Tenn Fall Hang Out. Even managed to link it back to the forum thread for info. I love Google.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that's great headchange! thanks!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    gnome, blue island,Il, 60406

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I'm in Greensboro, NC

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    gnome and Ashman have been added.

Hammock
    HH exp delux
    Add me as well In Greensboro

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Email sent

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Check out the Red River Gorge place mark. I added a pic to it. This Google Maps thing is cool.

BTW,
    If you have a website that you would like me to link to from the map, include it in the email.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast