River trip with Chrysalis Hammock

I bought one of these hammocks four weeks ago. Just got back from an overnight canoe/kayak trip with a group down the Big South Fork river in KY. I used the hammock for our overnight camp.

Frankly, I really liked it. Weight is not really an issue in canoe or kayak camping. . .being able to put it into the fore or aft hatch is what matters and the hammock fit fine there.

first: ease of set up. . .two cinch straps. I was up and running in 2 minutes while the tents took another 20.

Second: It was warm (75) when going to bed and got down in the low 60's at night. I kept the two side vent windows open (mesh screens zipped closed). Although there was a slight bit of condensation on the inside of the rain fly, it was not to the point that it would lead to water in the hammock itself. As the night cooled down, I closed one of the vents and the hammock stayed quite warm

third; I used a excercise roll up mat from Walmart for insulation under my sleeping bag. It fit the hammock perfectly. I believe that with the excercise mat and a 45 degree bag (what I was using), I would be warm down to the bag's rating. Colder then that, I would just switch to the 20 degree bag.

In summary, I found that it was way more comfortable then a tent. I could sit completely up in it and my head did not touch the rain fly. There were clips throughout for hanging gear. I stored my clothes in the storage area at one end and my flashlight and toiletries in the storage area at the other. Getting in and out at night was a simple process. What the add say is true. . .you can roll right to the edge and not fall out.

What I have learned in this experience is that many of the posters on these forums appear to be back packers and have a preference to have more of an unretricted view from the hammock (i.e. full mosquito netting). There are those of us that are kayak and canoe campers. . .and have more gear then the backpackers with us. This type of hammock is ideal for that use.

Best of all. . .I paid $119.00 for the hammock and $15 for the insulation pad. For that I have a three season hammock.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    from the sound of it if you get some warmer insulation and a tarp you would have a 4 season hammock. I like the fact that companies like eureka are getting into this area. not everyone is a backpacker. It sounds like you had fun with a very functional hammock setup.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    are you still using the stock straps and buckles? If you changed those out you would probably lose 2 lbs if you wanted to get lighter.

I used the hammock like it was right out of the box, with the exception of adding the excercise mat from Walmart. I talked at length with the designer, Dave Helsdon who had also just got back from a long trip with it. He uses the full screen enclosure and the tarp. I will probably order both

Yes, I used the buckles. There is more weight there, but I liked simply pulling the stap around the tree and cinching the buckles. Full set up in less then 1 minute.

As a kayak camper, space is really more the issue. I might look at removing the spacer bars and carrying them separately. . .or replacing them with PVC or something similiar. The hammock would then go in a lot smaller pack.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I am glad you like it so much. I really haven't seen a lot of reviews on the Chrysalis. From the pictures I have seen, I was just thinking you could use the same suspension system but with lighter weight equipment. I was also thinking of cjanging out the steel spreader bars with aluminum round stock. Between the two changes, you could easily get down to around 2 lbs on the hammock if you wanted too.

• + New Posts