Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images

New Fire Restrictions

Starting today, all fires using any fuel, solid, liquid, or gas are banned on the trail and in any wilderness area of the SNP. Only liquid and gas fires are allowed in certain developed( read rv) campsites. It appears you can still hike and camp, but your camp must be cold. I just called to get a 4 day permit for two of us , so I will clarify the above when the ranger returns my call. Four days eating cold pop tarts----- I may need to find another area.
    Last edited by smithobx; 10-23-2007 at 08:39.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You could always go pick-up some MREs. I don't know if you've reached that level of desperation yet, but it's a thought. At least you'd have warm 'food'.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Stay away from poptarts. Actually when I thru'd I sent my stove home just b4 SNP. I ate begals and salami for for lunch and some dinners. But there are enough lodges and waysides you really won’t be going hungry. Just try to plan your day accordingly. Most importantly have a great hike. I love SNP and bring a camera because you will see a lot of wild life. Oh yeah bagels and salami smell delicious to bears so hang your food and far away.
    Last edited by Dutch; 10-23-2007 at 09:00.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    SNP???

And Wow that's a pretty extreme fire ban...

Mostly I eat cold anyways, just from sheer laziness, typically one cooked meal each day. Simply because I'd rather spend my time admiring the scenery and being in the moment, than cooking and cleaning up from cooking meals. So such a ban wouldn't be that hard on me. But many people would really struggle with it I think.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Bagles sound better than mre's.We usually hike trails away from the AT in the more remote areas of the park. Our last trip in September, I saw more bears and bear sign than I have in years. I think the drought is causing the bears to forage over much wider areas than they normally would. SNP= Shenandoah National Park, in Virginia.
    Last edited by smithobx; 10-23-2007 at 09:00.

bagels and precooked meats like salami, hickory farms beef logs, etc and cheese are my typical lunches. thomas' bagels are large and i've had a bag of bagels avoid mold and staleness for 3 weeks before.

I like something hot for breakfast even if its just a toasted bagel with peanut butter on it. or oatmeal.

dinner? usually too tired to care that much.

some MRE's i actually enjoy. the chili mac is one of them. can can't beat the caloric density. but too many mre's in a row will stop you up if you don't make sure you get enough fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    Starting today, all fires using any fuel, solid, liquid, or gas are banned on the trail and in any wilderness area of the SNP. Only liquid and gas fires are allowed in certain developed( read rv) campsites. It appears you can still hike and camp, but your camp must be cold. I just called to get a 4 day permit for two of us , so I will clarify the above when the ranger returns my call. Four days eating cold pop tarts----- I may need to find another area.
    I was there last weekend and they said fired were banned in backcountry but the campsites (rv/carcamping/ and walk-in tent sites) were still allowed to have open fired due to their fire rings.

that may have changed rapidly due to the hell that california is going through sturing up additional fear of forest fires. some of my relatives got evacuated due to the fires out there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    Is this because of the severe drought? We have had ( al last!) about 4" of rain here in the last 24 hours. Maybe it will go on over to SNP.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Based on my experiences dealing with fire restrictions here in Florida, it will take a lot more than a week of rain before they lift the restictions. Often it is only after 10 days or more of rain that they finally lift, or lessen, the bans.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    you could always bring a battery operated toaster or toaster oven, kind of heavy though,lol!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast