Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Minor rant RE:Clones

No, not CLOWNS.

Years ago I was in the outdoor retailing business, and I have an appreciation for those entrepenuers who have started companies to build what they consider to be the best gear designs. Being an independant business person is a tough row to hoe, and I salute you all!

And I have a great deal of respect for DIY'ers as well. Heck, I am one of them. LOVE to fiddle with gear, make gear, fantasize about improving gear......A great way to stroke my creative side.

Now, maybe I am being too sensitive (PC?) but I cringe when I see a post by a DIY'er saying that he/she "built a Hennessey/Warbonnet/Claytor/Brand XYZ hammock."

Would it not be kinder to those business' to say that "I built a (fill in the blank) CLONE? I am sure that the manufacturers appreciate the flattery via imitation, although I wonder how much a lost sale stings. Maybe I am being too critical. Oh, well. Just my $0.02.

Jim

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You could say that your gear was "inspired by" instead of "cloned" from.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    for me i don't see a problem with makeing a Clone
    my reason for this is ...all the gear i ever cloned i had the original at some point in time...so they still made money off me

now i can see if someone was to clone a peice of gear and sell it to make money...thats not cool in my book
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    for me i don't see a problem with makeing a Clone
    I don't think he was saying you shouldn't make a DIY clone of something...only that you should indeed call it a clone, rather than referring to it as the genuine article.

I agree with that. Cloning gear is a form of flattery, as long as it is for your own use and not for sale. But (as an example only) you should say you made 'A DIY HH Clone' rather than 'I made a HH'.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I do think many here do refer to what they make as a clone or in some cases change the name in some way to reflect that it isnt the original but you can still figure out what the original is. Gargoyle is an example of that. He calls his hammock the Goylebird or Blackgoyle or something like that. You can figure out who he is cloning and and the fact that he made it himself. I dont think all makers mind if you clone. Opie is an example of someone who posted instructions on pretty much everything he made. His instructions are part of how I learned to make my own whoopie slings. I think as long as you are giving credit to the person you are cloning and as AS said you are not selling someone elses design then it is ok.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I don't think he was saying you shouldn't make a DIY clone of something...only that you should indeed call it a clone, rather than referring to it as the genuine article.

I agree with that. Cloning gear is a form of flattery, as long as it is for your own use and not for sale. But (as an example only) you should say you made 'A DIY HH Clone' rather than 'I made a HH'.
    Ahhhh got it LOL....don't mine me ...i'm alittle loopy today

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well using the term "clone" will depend on the hammock you are cloning. Some manufacturers have patented their designs and are known to be vigorous in defending their patents which is their right and, actually, their duty too.

Now by admitting that you "cloned" their design, you are opening yourself to a patent lawsuit. The probability of a lawsuit is exceedingly small, since the return on investment may be exceedingly small. I say "may be" since it depends on the number of people "cloning" the patented design. If the patent holder decides that they are "losing" too many sales because too many DIYers are "cloning" the patented design, then it may become profitable to sue and start demanding payment from DIYers.

And yes, even though you are "cloning" only for your own use, the patent holder can still sue since it is illegal to even "use" something that is patented without the patent holders permission. Read the patent law. It specifically states "use" as one of the activities that is forbidden. I'm no lawyer, but the passage is short and the language is straightforward.

Just looked up the pertinent section: ( not a full quote, only the first 2 paragraphs)

US Code Title 35, Part III, Chapter 28, § 271

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.
    (b) Whoever actively induces infringement of a patent shall be liable as an infringer.
    Last edited by TiredFeet; 08-30-2010 at 19:15.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Proud cloner here.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Okay - I really, really do not want to start a war of words on patents.

But I do not think that Hammock Forums, any member or anybody can claim the high moral and ethical ground and openly induce patent infringement in any manner or form or claim to have infringed a patent.

Just my $0.02

I'm not claiming that any have and hope that none do.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Ok......i think this thread is starting to get alittle off track

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast