Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Re: the VB - your body moisture goes thru the quilt. The silnylon quilt protector is a VB that would trap the moisture inside your quilt, wetting your down. But if you put a VB between your body and quilt, it stops the moisture from getting into your quilt in the first place.

Re: the DWR - all the current models of commercial quilts are made from water resistant fabric, which should be enough to protect them from moisture in normal use. Adding an extra layer of protection can make it easier to keep them dry...shaking droplets off a sil undercover is easier than shaking droplets off a DWR quilt, for example. I've experimented with undercovers and such and decided that it's not worth the pack space/weight for me, at least where I've hiked. Environment may change that at some point. In the end...if it makes you more comfortable and helps you sleep soundly at night b/c you're not worried about your quilts getting wet, then it's a good piece of gear for you!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

This is why I don't understand all the hype and rabid attachment to this overpriced crap. A $10.00 polytarp at walmart is waterproof, silnylon isn't, it never was and never will be.

But it's pretty, and light, and expensive, so by all means everyone promote away.

Don't like polytarp? How about some clear plastic, 6 mil is pretty tuff, won't fray the way poly does, and allows some light in. Oh, I hear the cries now, it's to cheap, it'll never work.

Maybe you want something a little tougher, though I don't know why with your perverse attachment to the fragile silnylon, but if you do, there is always properly coated canvas, or heavier properly coated nylon. Yeah it's heavier, but you be dry, and not have to handle it like a newborn baby.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Um....Maybe some decaf?

Kind of aggressive don't you think? HYOH
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
    This is why I don't understand all the hype and rabid attachment to this overpriced crap. A $10.00 polytarp at walmart is waterproof, silnylon isn't, it never was and never will be.

But it's pretty, and light, and expensive, so by all means everyone promote away.

Don't like polytarp? How about some clear plastic, 6 mil is pretty tuff, won't fray the way poly does, and allows some light in. Oh, I hear the cries now, it's to cheap, it'll never work.

Maybe you want something a little tougher, though I don't know why with your perverse attachment to the fragile (oopps another problem with the crap) silnylon, but if you do, there is always properly coated canvas, or heavier properly coated nylon. Yeah it's heavier, but you be dry, and not have to handle it like a newborn baby.

Wow, what a post! OK, so you don't like expensive gear and/or sil-nylon, got it. But back packing with canvas? Pounds rather than oz? OK, whatever you prefer!

I have used cheap tarps from Harbor freight and others for the back yard, because I didn't want to needlessly expose my good gear to UV.

They got the job done well enough for that, but I would never back pack with them, unless cost considerations forced me into it. Then I would do what I needed to and take what I could afford, or what I was willing to pay for. The ones I used, compared to my Sil-nylon tarps, were heavy, hard to pack and handle, lousy in the wind, and more than once grommets tore out in the wind.

I have had great success with my Sil-Nylon tarps, mostly made by cottage industries here in America. For some reason, I have not yet ever had any moisture get through my JRB Sil-Nylon 11x10 tarp. I have expected some "misting", but not yet observed it. Even under some torrential down pours. Also, when testing my seam sealing with a hose and pretty high pressure compared to most rains. With some one under the tarp, no drops or misting coming through was observed while blasting with the hose. Maybe there will be as it gets older ( about 2 years old now). EDIT: I know it happens and I am still expecting some "misting", just have not seen it YET.

Also, I remember testing my HH with small stock sil-nylon tarp and Super Shelter during HEAVY rains, with tornado warnings all around. I really regretted having the hammock pitched in that storm,because it was so severe I was certain the tarp would be torn in the winds. It was totally exposed tied to the only two trees in the back yard, about 21 feet apart. Though I regretted the test, I had to let things proceed, because I wasn't going out in that lightning and tornado warning.

The only problem I found after it was all over was about a tablespoon of water collected in the low point of the SS undercover, where it was not in contact with the hammock. Also some drops on the underside of the undercover, probably from ground splash up. That might have blown in from the ends. The hammock/net was not wet. Nothing was torn, I was really amazed. If I had not put something heavy on top of the two stakes, I am certain they would have pulled out of the rain soaked ground.

So that is good enough for me. If I do get some minor dampness from "misting" during the occasional extra heavy storm, it is probably worth it to me for the light weight and easy handling/pack up/low volume of the sil-nyl.

Having said all of that, if money is really tight, I will not hesitate to use something cheaper that will still get the job done. Or maybe get some sil-nyl and make my own DIY tarp. But, I have not regretted the money spent on the excellent quality tarps from JRB and OES and even HH. What the heck, look what a good name brand shirt or jacket or pack or whatever costs, and most of them made in China! Just IMHO of course!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-25-2010 at 08:43.

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Location Earth. Awaiting for the Mother Ship to beam me back up!
    All kidding aside as stated above, to heavy to bulky and the grommets wouldn't make it to long! Thats a large price to pay for an OCCASIONAL mist.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Maybe you want something a little tougher, though I don't know why with your perverse attachment to the fragile (oopps another problem with the crap) silnylon, but if you do, there is always properly coated canvas, or heavier properly coated nylon. Yeah it's heavier, but you be dry, and not have to handle it like a newborn baby.
    WOW.........i think someone needs a timeout

i think you should have done your homework befor you came off that strong

just because one tarp out of how many has a problem doesn't mean the world will end.
    that being said Sil will mist in very heavy rain...thats a given but how often do you see that kind of rain ? unless you live in the rainforest not alot
    canvas will also let water bleed through if you come in contact with it (i have a canvas tarp...and tent)..so canvas has it's downfalls as well and it's VER HEAVY Poly tarps will work...but i wouldn't want to be caught under one in high winds...i had a few fly right away on me cause it ripped at the grommets ...and they don't pack down good at all...and the weight...well we won't go there
    Last edited by G.L.P.; 09-25-2010 at 20:04.
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Grand Trunk & ENO doubles
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Has anybody ever tried something like this? If it does what they claim, it should keep hammock and underquilt breathable, but should keep water from soaking it... I assume it would be the most lightweight option?
    I was thinking of trying this http://www.huntdri.com/ on some of the uncoated ripstop just to see what it does.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracadruid View Post
    I was thinking of trying this http://www.huntdri.com/ on some of the uncoated ripstop just to see what it does.
    the only problem with that stuff it's only a water repellent
    for very light rain it would be ok....but thats about it...it's kinda like DWR
    and ripstop already has that on it
    also after some use it will come off...so you would have to keep treating the tarp every so often
    i use the same stuff on my boots

i know there was a thread on making Sil ....do a search i remember there was one not too long ago
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    UNO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 10 X 12
    Insulation
    MW3 & Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

WOW!!! And, I just submitted suggestions for the HF Motto talking about kindness, respect, etc. Reckon I was premature???

Kind of aggressive don't you think?
    I guess you are talking to me? When it comes to people giving bad advise that will cost a lot of hard earned money, I'd say it was pretty mild.

OK, so you don't like expensive gear and/or sil-nylon, got it. But back packing with canvas? Pounds rather than oz? OK, whatever you prefer!
    I have used cheap tarps from Harbor freight and others for the back yard, because I didn't want to needlessly expose my good gear to UV.
    I don't like expensive crap, or false advertising.
    Pounds, perhaps but if it actually does what it's supposed to, then that the price you pay. I guess you missed the other options I mentioned.

Durability is very important too, if your tarp is to fragile to use in the back yard, as you say, then it's rather foolish to depend on it out in the woods where your life may depend on it.

just because one tarp out of how many has a problem
    It's not just one tarp, but I'm pretty sure you know that.

And, I just submitted suggestions for the HF Motto talking about kindness, respect,
    I don't consider it kind or respectful for supposedly experienced people to tell a noob he simply must have this expensive stuff that fails to do it's job.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast