Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Hammock / Tarp Repairs.

As there are more of us now, I figure the chances of minor to major damage is now a real possibility, being a numbers game & all that. So I'll start with the beginning of my repair saga to my Grand Trunk SB Pro.
    Vandalism of my hammock at the foot end, 2 1.25 inch cuts, & 1 7 inch cut (I finally measured em).

The repair method I chose was to use 3" wide Sail Repair tape. http://www.sailrite.com/Tear-Aid-Rep...wC!-1874859271

First impression: it is VERY thin, about 2/3 as thick as a standard sheet of paper. It is also translucent, so will not change the color of your item to be repaired if that is important to you.

Application: The tape (actually the protective cover) has printed on it every 3" "FOLLOW DIRECTIONS PRECISELY" So I did.
    Clean area with alcohol prep. Let dry. Peal 1/2" of the protective tape & carefully place tape over tear, allowing 1 inch each side. After repair tape is in place (you can, with difficulty, move it until the final step) RUB VIGOROUSLY!
    Once you "Rub vigorously" you are not moving that tape, I tried. After letting it set (mine set for 28 hrs) you can sort of feel the adhesive thru the fabric. It isn't sticky, but you can tell there is a change in the fabric.

Test night 1: after 7 hrs in the hammock, I could see a 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap in the long tear, by the time I came back to measure it (20 minutes?) the gap was barely noticeable. Just because I had 6" of tape left, & I am paranoid, I decided to reinforce the large tear. As I have to work tomorrow, I'm sleeping inside tonight, so further testing will have to wait till Wednesday PM, but I feel the double layer will do fine for at least emergency repair. This will still be my at home & short trip hammock for years to come, so from time to time I'll be reporting on the condition of the repair.
    FWIW, I slept well last night, & really, the repair did not stretch any more than my hammock did, it's just that I could see the change in the clear repair but not the dark hammock body.

Now that I have started the ball rolling. Post your repair stories. Short term "This is what I did to get home!" Long term: "Dude, this fix lasted me 3 more years" & anything in between. don't just do tarps & Hammocks, but suspension & anything else Hammock related. Even, as much as it pains me to say: "I had to go to ground, & this is what/how I did it because my hammock set up was FUBAR"

Remember, if at all possible, include pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doctari; 08-30-2010 at 19:52.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    An even better "tape" is their Insignia tape. It bonds tenaciously to dacron, not sure about nylon. I put the sail numbers on a sail I built for myself without stitching it.

One reason I chose it is my sail number is 223. It couldn't be simple like 111. Imagine dragging a 27" tall sail through a machine while you try to stitch a "3"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Thanks, Doctari. Good post.

I was all set to order a couple of feet to have on hand, "just in case", until I came to the line that said "Shelf life approximately 2 years", so I'll just wait, and buy as needed, when needed.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Thanks, Doctari. Good post.

I was all set to order a couple of feet to have on hand, "just in case", until I came to the line that said "Shelf life approximately 2 years", so I'll just wait, and buy as needed, when needed.
    Yea. I saw that too, my plan was to carry the left over for "Just in case" but with just over 24 hr turn around on shipping, even if I'm doing a thru that just means I need to take a zero or maybe two, so: a chance to eat a few solid meals & do laundry.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    duc tape for everything torn.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Knock on wood... but so far with my Clark, I've not had any major failures or tears. I've had one minor leak right at the top seam on my tarp. One tinny tiny pin hole caused by the needle stitching. Wasn't bad enough to even try a field fix and sealed it when I did get home.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    duc tape for everything torn.
    Duct tape is good... but it doesn't stretch enough to be effective over time on something like a hammock. This much I know....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Best option ... and quick option ... I've found to repair a sil nylon tarp is to locate the hole you're trying to repair ... cut one or two round patches out of some more sil nylon (same color would be good but who really cares) then put a dab of sil nylon sealer or one of the substitutes .... on the hole. Place the patch and squeeze and rub it into place so that it's well sealed and remove excess sealer. You can do it on one side but I usually use two patches and do it on both sides of any holes. Works, light weight, stretches with tarp, flexible and if you use the same color sil it's not quickly noticeable.

Anyway it's a lot more permenant than Duct Tape. Duct Tape is an excellent emergency in the field repair though.

NOTE: No livermush or Rhubarb/Strawberry pie was harmed in describing this repair technique

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    IMHO: Duct / Duc / Duck tape is good for emergency repairs, in fact I don't go anywhere without at least 3 - 5 feet of the stuff, but problems I have with is: degrades rapidly in UV. Even if inside, the glue degrades over time leaving a sticky residue.

I just remembered I have a small hole (put in by a figure 9 I think.) in my tarp that I fixed as Hawk-eye described: a small piece of sil-nylon & some silicone sealer. Let dry for 24 hrs &, well, this patch has held for over 2 years. In fact, I'm reasonably sure I couldn't get the patch off if I tried. The patch is on one side of the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Update on vandalism repair:

Well, it has been 4 nights more in the repaired hammock with no sign of wear of giving out. Since I added the extra layer on the other side of the original repair, there is NO signs of stretch. This morning I tried VERY HARD to peal off any of the repair tape, I could not even get it to start coming off, even a little. MAYBE by destroying the hammock I could get it to somewhat , , , , , , Nah, not even that.

So, for future reference, & with just a few days testing, this stuff would at least get you through a multi week trip, or to an outfitter for repair or replacement. With this small test, I feel that this is a permanent repair. At least till further testing proves otherwise. This hammock will be at Mt Rogers for viewing in January. So: 90 days, divided by (at least) one of every 3 days = I'll be in the hammock at least 30 times by then, I think a fair test sample, don't you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast