problems with my new hammock

i made myself a hammock 60"' sewn to two 9", and a double layer for finished width of 65" and length of almost 11'. i sewed a tunnel on each end secured with 3 rows of sttitching. pull a chord threw and then doubled it over and pulled tight and wrapped for that crisamthomen look. then wrapped a prussic and larksheaded to a ring. the problem is tht it doesn't lay right. it seems the middle of the hammock is shorter leaving the sides loose. i'm thinking i should 'unblossom' the ends and thread my pruissic through--leaving my 200' supported by the three seams. ya think the 3 seams will hold?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    do you lay right down the middle or do you try to go a bit side ways?? With my grand trunk, if I'm in the middle, the edges are flappy. If I shift around a bit and go as sideways as I can, the edges flatten out.

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    I think it will hold you. I made a camo diy yesterday, and did the end channel with 3 rows of stiching. I used webbing to thread thru, and I left the loop about six to eight inches wide. I like the way it lays, no side sag, but with the width of yours, you may experience shoulder squeeze. I'm sure someone with experience will chime in, good luck.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    I just went through three different styles of whipping on my DIY this summer, and found that they each create a different lay. (Um, I guess that shouldn't be surprising!)

Search the archives: the "w" whipping allows you to tighten the edges to reduce flappiness. However, for me it created a really uncomfortable lay. The accordian fold allows much the same edge adjustability, and for me a better lay, but still uncomfortable. My final solution was the Warbonnet-style whipping (search for Knotty's excellent video), which created such a comfortable lay that I haven't even looked to see what the edges are doing!

So I haven't answered your question about whether or not the seams will hold, but IMO I would trust a whipping more than a sewn seam over the long term. No doubt it will hold you, but will it continue to hold you?

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    That is why I like that whipping. It leaves the sides floppy so on a diagonal lay you can get flatter. Adding the 9" pieces on the side only adds to the looseness and roominess, especially without a bugnet attached. I don't recall if yours had one or not. If so, adding a cat cut to the bugnet and making the net a little smaller should raise the sides if thatvis what you are looking for. Tinker's post on a "roomy hammock" dicusses thus well.

Some that that use the W whipping pull the middle instead of the ends to achieve the same effect.

thanks guys..and nnacra..i used to race an 18sq meter. i think it was a nacra 5.5 traded it for a G cat. loved the g cat. gave up cat sailing for whitewater kayaking, which i gave up for kitesurfing. problem is i still have the toys and really feel bad because i don't use them any more

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I don't have the knowledge to diy a hammock. (cant sew a straight line)lo,l but I have a speer and a blackbird,and I love the lay of the B.B. The speer tends to wrap you in a cocoon and it has high sides. The B.B lies flat with low sides. It all depends on the whipping as I am told.
    Let me finish by saying that I do love the both of them just a different lay that's all.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Floppy sides are normal with the way you fixed the ends. The plus side is you get the very flat, comfortably lay like a Warbonnet hammock.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - floppy sides are normal with that end-gather method...that's why the WBBB's footbox is so useful. But it does give you a very flat lay.

If you don't like the floppy sides, you can pull the long edges out a bit and then whip it, rather than using that end-gather method.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts