Hello,

I figured it was time I introduce myself...I was a devout groundsleeper for many years here in New England, "enjoying" clammy nights in my single wall tents, roots poking me in the back, chipmunks running around under my tent and so on.

The I happened on the Practical Backpacking podcast last year and heard the podcast on hanging. I had never even considered there was different way to camp out...it was a revelation! Then Shug came along thanks to the combined forces of Google and YouTube and answered almost all the questions I had. In anticipation of this season I hung in the basement, I hung off the deck supports, I hung in the backyard. Just about this time my wife starting wondering out loud about my sanity. But I kept right on.

Now I can't stop trying to get people to consider trying the hammock out. Many of my conversations start with "You doing any camping this summer?" and within 45 seconds I'm explaning suspension.

So far this season I've had the opportunity to hang with my 10 year old at Pawtuckaway State Park, a solo at Sawyer Pond and a solo at Pillbury State Park. A couple more to go this year before the cold really sets in...I'm planning an overnight on the Kilkenny Range in the Whites and an overnight at Ethan Pond. And I'm planning a 50 mile PCT section for next year.

So that's it - thanks to everyone who have answered some of my stupid questions and thanks to Shug for making all this so accessible!

John (no trail name yet...maybe after the PCT?)