Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help this person

Disclaimer--> Noobie.

Well I just pick up this hobby and made hammock according to Just Jeff. The first time I set it up...it ripped. Now I know why they call it rip-stop. It ripped the long edge near the whipping, when I was exiting the hammock (I kinda expected this, but prayed it wouldn't). Went home...patched the rip and sewed a channel along the long edge to insert a cord and re-whipped.

Now the hammock sides are supported by the cord in the channel and not the fabric. There is no chance of ripping the same way. But, now the hammock sucks... I can't sit in it (as before) and grabbing anything outside the hammock is cumbersome. Also I feel wrapped like a taco.<edit>

I re-whipped again using asymmetrical whipping. This really helped, but not enough.

I can post pictures if I did not described the problem sufficiently.

I used 1.6oz ripstop nylon..so the fabric shouldn't be the problem...Right??

What to do? Start over?? Remove the channel and cord??? Buy a hammock (lame)????

Also, what is the difference between HH, Clark, Spear...etc.... I don't understand the differences on other threads when mentioning a specific style
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 09-01-2010 at 07:30. Reason: familly friendly

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You hemmed the long edge of 1.6 oz ripstop nylon and it still ripped? Maybe it was a bad batch of fabric?

Are you pulling it tight when you hang it, or hanging it with a lot of sag? That may make a difference in the comfort.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64&quot;whoopie sling
    Pictures would probably help.
    Sounds like you need to not pull the sides up as much when you whip it. I pull each corner out maybe 3", so 6" per side.
    And when you get in it, hold the fabric so you don't sit only on the edge, spread it out a bit and it'll distribute the weight better.

Hope that makes sense and helps ya!
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Pictures?
    Size of your new hammock (after repair).? width and length. before repair?
    You rewhipped the Long side?
    I would play with the whipping style, as sometimes the fabric can be relaxed or loosened just by changing the way its gathered. fwiw, I don't "whip" any of my diy hammocks. Gather material and larkshead on the webbing or rope suspension. I've yet to have one slip or fail on me, ymmv.

As far as differences between all the hammocks..I'd suggest looking thru the picture gallery and the video gallery. Too many little variances to describe.
    Try making it to a local hang. Best place to check out lots of gear. Or Cannibal's backyard.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

So, the problem was all about sag. What I had done was...determined the length of the fabric and tied knots at that length in the cord that was inserted into the channel I sewed. This was to keep the fabric from reaching its breaking point. I pushed the knot into the channel about 6 in. and gathered/whipped the end. I used a ridgeline and thought that the ridgeline was going to determine the sag of the hammock...but the cord inside the channel was essentially acting as a internal ridgeline.(Did I just invent something...cause if I did..I want credit...Ben's Ridgeline). So there was little sag...after I lengthened the knots in the cord and rewhipped, I found the problem to be gone.

Here is the original whipping and using rope to attach to the Treesavers. This is how the fabric ripped. When I was exiting the hammock, all my weight was on the long edge and the fabric failed (it was actually 6 oz. nylon rip-stop...I lied before). Also I am only 5'4" and 120 lbs. so my size is not to blame
    Attached Images Attached Images

here is the new whipping with the cord inside the channel with knots tied in cord that are supporting the weight of the hammock

here is the knot in the cord with the cord inside the channel...I just pushed the knot about 6 inches inside the channel and gathered/whipped...then pulled the knots to the whipping and start hanging

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Spn Dlx w/drs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3 Ssn
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I don't know if it is just me but, I don't think that this is nylon or ripstop. It looks like either shirt or pants material (not sure of the medical terminology here).

Just my $.02

John

here is the cord inside the channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast