DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Whoopie sling help

Trying to make some Whoopie slings using SloBro's thread, got the taper done just fine and started the bury. I've got about 80 percent of the line pulled through but I just can't get it the rest of the way. It's constricting on itself and I can't seem to get it moving. Any advice? I taped the line to the yarn needle but I don't think that's the hold up, more likely the half-inch ends left from the tapered pieces.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    Trying to make some Whoopie slings using SloBro's thread, got the taper done just fine and started the bury. I've got about 80 percent of the line pulled through but I just can't get it the rest of the way. It's constricting on itself and I can't seem to get it moving. Any advice? I taped the line to the yarn needle but I don't think that's the hold up, more likely the half-inch ends left from the tapered pieces.
    You'll have less trouble if you use a longer means of pulling the line through the bury. I'm guessing with the needle you're getting to the point where you have to get the whole needle inside the bury and encourage it along. I've done that, can do that, takes a bit of finessing, but the whole task is easier with other tools.

Bit of wire (like a guitar string) folded over works well and is cheap to pick up. Then you have something on the far side of the bury to pull on.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    And make sure your not snagged on one of the individual braids. That'll lock things up pretty good.
    I'm a long wire doubled over guy, Grizz will lead you down the right path.
    I figure if it works for guys like Opie....it should work for me.

If all else fails, I'll pull everything out and start over. Occassionally theres a glob of rope (manufacturers defect) that you have to cut out and dicard.

Working the rope before I attempt to bury helps. I'll scrunch, twist, wiggle the rope between my fingers to loosen up the factory braid.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I use wire as well. It helps to pull out a few strands and cut about half an inch to an inch off of them on the end you use to pull through the bury. It sort of tapers the end. I saw it in a video on which strands to cut but I cant' remember where.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    -Many times when burying and it starts getting tough, You end up pushing more line up the needle/fid/wire than you need while trying to open up the inside. you've pushed so much up that it starts getting tight.
    -Another similar problem is the line back towards the eye (the part with the bury already in place) is getting tight and not allowing the working part to continue down the bury.
    To solve both problems, "unmilk" the line where you are trying to go and/"re-milk" the line where you have already passed.
    -When you are first starting the bury, when the line enters itself for the first time, it can get tight there if not tapered or unravelled enough. You might actually have more than one thickness of line trying to enter.

NEVER twist while trying to bury. With Amsteel, it usually doesn't mess you up too bad because the weave is so open and you can usually straighten it out but it is a bad practice in general.

Wiggling the line at the eye of the needle works very well. When things start getting tight, I usually pinch the line at the eye of the needle and wiggle, pull, wiggle, pull, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HAMMOCKgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    You'll have less trouble if you use a longer means of pulling the line through the bury. I'm guessing with the needle you're getting to the point where you have to get the whole needle inside the bury and encourage it along. I've done that, can do that, takes a bit of finessing, but the whole task is easier with other tools.

Bit of wire (like a guitar string) folded over works well and is cheap to pick up. Then you have something on the far side of the bury to pull on.
    Tip on the guitar string, which incidentally works nice. Pull it with pliers, so you pull nice and straight. My first try with a string, it got hard to pull, so I wrapped it around my hand. After making a couple of soft biners, the string had all curled up and gotten a mind of it's own and was useless. And uncurling is pretty much impossible.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Worked it some more and got it through today. Pretty much rubbed all the blue off of it but I guess it will still hold. I smoothed out the tape job and did the backsplice with no trouble at all. Now I need to make another and then a hammock to put it on! Next time I'l try the wire, those yarn needles are just too big at the eye.

• + New Posts