Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

top entry vs bottom

I am looking for opinions on bottom entry vs top entry. After having experimented with a Hennessey Assym, traditional Scout, and a TreeHugger Hammock top entry I have made these observations.

Bottom entry is a real problem when it comes to trying to get your sleeping pad and bag set up, along with body positioning.

In addition, in the event that I couldnt find adequate tree coverage or otherwise needed to use the hammock bivy style, would be very difficult with bottom entry.

Top entry models are not flat lying (except for new jacksRbetter which is not yet available) which is a disadvantage. However, I have noted that I can make a regular top entry hammock somewhat "flat lying" by using a down air mattress which pulls the sides away from you.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You can get pretty flat in either a top entry hammock or bottom entry hammock if you lay on the diagonal instead of straight.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I get at least as flat in my Warbonnet as in any other hammock out there, my HH included. It is a side-entry and would be ideal for a ground bivy if it came to that. I've slept on an SPE in it without difficulties.

Images
    What he said...

I found I could get very "flat" using a diagonal lay. Flatter than I expected and I suspect as flat as in a hennessy.

The bridge hammock is the only one I see as being truly flat.
    So many projects, So little time....

The HH system works for me. It is very convenient; almost as easy as walking in and out of a tent. I wish the velcro had been wider, though.

Follow Ed Speer's advice about hanging a top entry with a lot of sag. He states leave as much sag as possible without ending up lying on the ground [I would add, and still being able to get out of it :-) ]. This makes lying diagonally easier.

I was having problems with shoulder squeeze until I followed this advice. I was also doubting people's tales of not tossing and turning during the night until I wised up about sag. The last night I was out (last weekend) I spent 11 hours straight in the hammock, and at most would change the position of my legs. Normally I'm a side sleeper, turning every couple of hours. I slept most of the night on my back, and woke up refreshed and feeling good :-).

Amazing what happens when you follow the advice of the wise.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Since your asking for opinions, as a satisfied HH owner I think I'd still prefer top entry. I don't dislike the bottom slit, it works fine, I just find it a bit less convenient. I was kind of curious if any of the people who bought netless HHs actually use the bottom slit to get in anymore, maybe they'll chime in?

I'm not sure I agree with your "Top entry models are not flat lying" observation, there are a lot of factors that determine flatness but whether or not a hammock has a bottom slit isn't one of them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lyleb View Post
    Follow Ed Speer's advice about hanging a top entry with a lot of sag. He states leave as much sag as possible without ending up lying on the ground [I would add, and still being able to get out of it :-) ]. This makes lying diagonally easier.

I was having problems with shoulder squeeze until I followed this advice. ..............
    Ditto that.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have both, an HHULB and a Treklight. I like both and really don't prefer one over the other. I use the HH with net during bug season and the Treklight during the winter. If I had to rate one over the other I would give the HH the nod for comfort.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Since your asking for opinions, as a satisfied HH owner I think I'd still prefer top entry. I don't dislike the bottom slit, it works fine, I just find it a bit less convenient. I was kind of curious if any of the people who bought netless HHs actually use the bottom slit to get in anymore, maybe they'll chime in?

I'm not sure I agree with your "Top entry models are not flat lying" observation, there are a lot of factors that determine flatness but whether or not a hammock has a bottom slit isn't one of them.

I don't see myself ever using the bottom entry on my netless Safari. For one thing, I don't plan to ever open the velcro, in hopes it will stay together better than the one on my Explorer, which has become pretty loose over time, and pops open quite easily. Does anybody know of a fix for poorly sticking Velcro?

I find bottom entry and exit quite easy and efficient most of the time. But, generally the top entry approach is even a bit easier. And it is more convenient to sit up and reach over to the ground, or sit up on the side But realistically, most of these benefits are more related to a removable or absent net than the type of entry.

I probably always prefer top entry unless:
    A: I need to have the hammock ridge line pulled pretty tight up against the tarp with the tarp in a narrow storm pitch.

B: Bugs are numerous and aggressive, and I need to get in the hammock and close it in a hurry. I can do this much faster in my HH than I can in my Speer. Which, once I am in it, I have to usually struggle a bit to get the netting velcro sealed over the length of the hammock. Which takes a minute or two ( sometimes the velcro hangs on the netting and I have to unhang it), which is more time for the mosquitoes to follow me into the hammock. But maybe I would get faster with more experience. Also, I seem to have a better overall net seal all around the hammock, once I am done, with the HH.

But other than those 2 items, the top entry seems overall more convenient, and it is a bit easier to lay on top of the pad and get in a bag, if using both. Of course, with a quilt it is irrelevant. But the pad advantage remains.
    IMO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast