Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

DIY UQ from SB

Slept outside in the yard last night testing a new short UQ made from a Wally World youth model 40 degree sleeping bag. Final size ended up aprox 52 inch square. Hemmed edges with a channel and used a Yeti type suspension. Suspension was 1/8 " cord with a black rubber stretch tube added to the end of each side attachment. The head and foot were cinched with shock cord and cord-locks. Have no way to weigh it at this time, but it seems light, will not compress greatly, but will fit in the pack with my usual gear. Temps last night went down to 51-52 and I was plenty warm in a light 40 degree mummy bag (unzipped until some time in the am). Did not deply any bugnet, the tarp was not closed, and the breeze was at about 2-3 mph. Slept in jeans and a t-shirt. No cold spots sleeping on my side with some leg curl(normal).
    Last edited by exdiver; 10-01-2009 at 11:15. Reason: try to add pic?

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images

Thumbs up

Any pics yet? I'd love to see this setup - trying to come up with an inexpensive PeaPod like system or at least an under quilt that won't kill my wallet. (I know it is worth the $ but it just isn't possible atm).

If you can't get those pics up but have them, PM them to me and I will see if I can't figure it out.

Thanks for the report!!

-XexorZ

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I can second this! I just finished sleeping in my DIY setup with a Goodwill SB underquilt. I put a channel on the ends for a drawcord, and a tab on each corner for the suspension. Didn't have any shock cord, so hung it a little loose, and was able to get down to the mid 40s. I'm a pretty warm sleeper too, so that probably helped. I need to take some material out of the ends, so I'll probably get a friend to help me pin it up into darts.
    Oh, my dimensions were 54" x just under 6'.

Stay warm,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

one more attempt at pic

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Looks great! Take some more pics - I'd love to see it laid out flat.

Keep us up to date on how well it works (how cold and how you feel in it at that temp)

:thumbsup:

XexorZ

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Great minds think alike! Just made an UQ along the same lines, using some left over insulation, a little inspiration from KAQ , some really cheap walmart fabric and a yeti type suspension. I havnt tried it out yet. Did you have trouble in the middle edges of the hammock, since its only attached at the ends? Did you have to have a tab or somthing in that area? Or, is the tension on the suspension enough to keep the UQ in place? I put darts in the edges of the fabric, but didnt dart the insulation---next time I problably will! i think it would lay down a little bit better. Thanks for the pics!Ill post mine when I get it done!
    Last edited by stevebo; 10-09-2009 at 15:50.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

mid point connections?

Stayed in place just fine with the tension from the longitudinal suspension lines. No mid hammock connections. Width could have been reduced and still been fine.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

new temps

Backpacking last weekend. Night went down to 41 according to weather.com. I felt warm until time to get up in the early am when toes were getting a little cool so I put on second pair of wool socks and then just lay there in comfort refusing to leave my warm cocoon. The ground dwellers got up complaining of sleeping cold.

My toes are always the first thing to get cold. Anyone have remedies?

PS was wearing poly long underwear pants, nylon pants, base layer shirt and mid weight fleece 1/4 zip.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exdiver View Post
    Backpacking last weekend. Night went down to 41 according to weather.com. I felt warm until time to get up in the early am when toes were getting a little cool so I put on second pair of wool socks and then just lay there in comfort refusing to leave my warm cocoon. The ground dwellers got up complaining of sleeping cold.

My toes are always the first thing to get cold. Anyone have remedies?

PS was wearing poly long underwear pants, nylon pants, base layer shirt and mid weight fleece 1/4 zip.
    Best solution for me...place a 16"x12" piece of reflectix inside the foot box above my feet. Could feel a difference immediatley...Solved the problem
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

fleece booties

Made some fleece booties (elf shoes!). Had the fleece and haven't collected any cattail fluff yet? Will try them this weekend on an over-night trip. Not going down very cold 43 predicted. Shock-cord gathers the top.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast