Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    NF Cat's Meow
    Suspension
    WB Straps

Hello from SC

HELLO FORUM!

I am completely new to the hammock thing. I stumbled across this board when I began my search for a camping hammock. My situation is that my family(4) has outgrown our tent with a new addition earlier this spring. We generally car camp about 4 times a year. I camp with buddies about 4-6 times a year while hunting and fishing. I would like to start using a hammock and let the family use the tent and I can also use the hammock when camping with buddies. I began searching for reviews of the ENO double nest and that lead me here.

After several days of reading and being overwhelmed with all the info, it appears the go to hammock is the WBBB. For a newbie that camps 10 times a year in mild to moderate climate, should I bite the bullet and get the WBBB right out the shoot or go with the less expensive ENO and upgrade later? A bug net is a must, whether included or as accessory, and I have been to overwhelmed to consider tarp options.

My next trip is the middle of October so I suppose I need to make a decision fairly soon if I am going to get the WBBB. I plan to use a thermrest and sleeping bag that I already have.

I really need some reassurance on the hammock selection and suggestions for a good tarp.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks Shug for the wonderful videos....they were very informative and entertaining!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    O.E.S Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Lost river UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    welcome aboard from a fellow SC hanger, luckily for you there are several upstate members that would probably be willing to let you try out some of their hammocks to help with your decision. Several trips are also planned and you could always attend one to see all the various setups.

I started with an eno double and now have a WBBB so either way your in good shape!

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Irmo SC hanger here. Either hammock is a good choice but if you think you are going to end up in a WBBB, might as well go ahead and bite that bullet now. Its a great hammock, lots of room & storage. Highly reccommended as you are already aware.

Just so that you know, I too have a family of 4, we used to use a tent, now we have 4 hammocks. 1 WBBB (mine) and 3 Hennessey Expeds (wife & 2 daughters). Unless an unforseeable situation occurs, our tent will be collecting dust for a long time.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    Welcome from the SC Lowcountry. Have used my ENO dbl many a comfortable night on the Chatooga River up in your neck of the woods. Have never used a bug net, but wished I had a couple of times. My personal opinion is that the ENO hammock is great, but everything else they make is not up to par with just about anything else out there. I have a Jacks R Better tarp and love it, though the OES tarps looks good, as does Brandon's Big Mamajama. With all the rain we get in SC foot hills and NC mountains, I would go with a big tarp. My next hammock will be a WBBB because, well just because I spend so much time on this forum! The Grand Trunks Skeeter Beeter looks interesting and has a built in net, but I don't know anything about it other than some great customer service displayed on HF a few days ago. Can't imagine you going wrong with the WBBB and starting with what has an incredible reputation.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    SupperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm to poor not to start with the best.....WBBB an the superfly tarp is great...
    Now for the down side ....it will become habit forming...an you will over sleep
    Also when your trying to sleep in your bed an not doing to good you can sometimes here the WBBB calling to you.So its your call.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    NF Cat's Meow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Thanks guys for all the quick responses. I wish I could get the wife into a hammock but she would rather be close to the little ones. Maybe when they get a little older and she has had a chance to hang in mine some she will convert.

Looks like I need to go ahead an order the WBBB. I suppose the 1.7 double is the cat's meow for their options?

As for the tarp, (remember, I have never camped in a hammock) I like the idea of a big tarp that can be strung several different ways. Rain protection is primary, but I would also like something that is semi-private (staked low?)for changing clothes, can be somehwat enclosed in cooler weather, and can be pitched as porch to shed rain and not block views.

Soooooo, can most of the following tarps be used for the methods above? Superfly, Big Mamajama, OES MacCat (Dlx or Ultra), JRB Cat......

Thanks again....looking forward to getting all this gear set up and out in the woods hanging.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I have the superfly and love it, I can pitch it many dif, ways low for changing and porch style, and many ,many more. I also have a speer tarp I use for the warmer months, but can also hang it many ways. Which ever you chose from your list will do you just fine.. No worries

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    P.S I forgot to mention I have a b.b and well if I could hang it in the bedroom without getting a divorce I would. I sleep great in it alot of room and you lay flat, I would buy another in a heart beat,,,,,,

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    For the options you have listed for a tarp....check out the Ogee Tarp. Many many options for set up, yes you can get more than one hammock under it, and the price is real good. Bite the bullet on this one and you won't be sorry.

Do a search in the archives or on the equipment subcategories for the Ogee tarp. HawkEye, and Gargoyle have made some videos of this tarp, that are a good place to see it set up.

Oh and almost forgot it is made and sold by Gargoylegear. http://gargoylegear.webs.com/
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 09-01-2010 at 22:33.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by rigrunner View Post
    I began searching for reviews of the ENO double nest and that lead me here.
    Hey RigRunner, welcome.

Your situation was very similar to mine in that I started looking at the ENO hammocks a few months ago and then found this forum. If you check out my post "One Bird. Two Trees. Three Nights" in the Warbonnet subforum it might give you an idea what you're in for [insert evil laugh here]. I would post the link if I could figure out how. Darn you computer machine!

You can't go wrong with the Blackbird. It's a great hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast