HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I need an engineer to answer this:

Which material transmits sound more efficiently - polyester or polypropylene webbing or Amsteel?

This is important because if a beaver starts chewing on one of your anchor trees in the middle of the night the better the sound transmission the more likely you will be to hear the noise.

Could be the difference between life and death!

Jim

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've always had a little paranoia wondering about critters cruising around under my backside when I'm in the hammock... now I get to add beavers to the list of critters? :P
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Hennessey 4 hiking; Mayan indoors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Which material transmits sound more efficiently - polyester or polypropylene webbing or Amsteel?

This is important because if a beaver starts chewing on one of your anchor trees in the middle of the night the better the sound transmission the more likely you will be to hear the noise.

Could be the difference between life and death!

Jim
    I'm not an engineer, but I will say this... my beaver was a loud one. If he or she had gone after one of my anchor trees in anything but a loud storm, I would've woken up immediately. Its acorn eating from the water 20' away was enough to wake the dead.

I'm attaching the best picture I have. Sorry it's not so great. It was night and my friend and I were afraid to get too close.
    Attached Images Attached Images

beavers can be aggressive just returned from hiking the 100 mile wilderness in maine where one chased me away from the edge of the water-I may have accidently stepped on the top of his den going to filter water-evidently they can be pretty territorial-dont underestimate them
    Hillbilly

That's a real good picture of the beaver. You're lucky you got it. I'm thinking that from your reports this has got to be a lady beaver.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    What to worry about: Beavers, ehh, not so much. Probably more scared of you than you to him.

*Warning* -UNCONFIRMED Story below!

Now, beaver-sharks.
    Found in the immediate areas surrounding the Nantahala, Nolichucky, and Chattooga rivers, these creatures can be found swimming, or hunting on land. The beaver shark is extremely aggressive, and is always in a bad mood. The beaver shark is a beaver on one end, and a shark on the other. It is always in such a bad mood because it cannot... err.... "Go potty". If you see a beaver shark, please climb the nearest tree, and wait it out. You may be stuck for up to 14 days. I have had multiple encounters with these animals while rafting down the (above) rivers. The only time we didn't have to get out of our rafts and run for our lives was on the Nantahala. While on that river, a beaver shark approached us from the rear, thankfully, it was spotted soon enough that the NJROTC group I was with was able to stab it and beat it with paddles until it died.

How'd you guys like my story?
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

.....r.i.p.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567