Ridgeline question

I just got the blackbird and my wife is already upset with the time I've spent with it. However, I can't get the ridgeline to loosen up at all. What's the best tweeks I can make to get some slack?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianflhrci View Post
    I just got the blackbird and my wife is already upset with the time I've spent with it. However, I can't get the ridgeline to loosen up at all. What's the best tweeks I can make to get some slack?
    Raise the tree huggers higher and loosen the suspension so the hammock stays the same distance off the ground.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Thanks Beep, I'll fire it up tomorrow with higher tree lines.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A good way to set up is to hang the hammock, then lengthen or shorten the suspension to your liking using the structural ridgeline, the angle of the suspension and laying in it as indicators. When you have the suspension just the right length then adjust the height of the huggers on the tree to get the height of the hammock where you like it. Sounds like a lot to do but its methodical and after doing it enough you can eyeball it quickly.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I can see a loose ridge being a problem, but unless the thing is about to snap, why not let it be taut?

Do you just like more sag than the BB would usually have?
    ~Bryan

What you really need to do is bring along a surveyor's transit. The newer ones with the laser light are terrific. They weigh maybe 20 lbs but well worth it to get that angle right. It only takes me 20 minutes and it is time well spent. All those other guys just set the ridge line to the tension they want and the geometry takes care of itself. Too sketchy for the fastidious scientist I am.

Images
    I have always felt that the most important thing to get close on first tying off a hammock, is how high to attach it to the trees. If that is close, it makes everything else easier. Different hammocks can have different geometry where that is concerned but all of them follow the principle that the further the distance between the trees, the higher you want to attach them. Conversely, the closer the trees are, the lower you want to attach them.

For my hammocks, I estimate the distance by pacing it off, using 3 feet as my normal 'walking' pace. (Also, I know that my outstretched hiking poles span 13 1/2feet.). I have three 'bench marks' that I use-- at 12 feet I tie off at shoulder height, at 15 feet I tie off at head high, and at 18 feet I tie off as high as I can reach. Between those distances I scale it using my best guess.

After that, I evaluate what I have and make adjustments as needed. Sometimes I have to adjust the height of both ends, other times not. Sometimes I have to play around a bit with the height of one end so that the footend is elevated enough when I am in the hammock to keep me centered in the hammock.

The more often I am out there, the easier it is and the less readjustments I typically have to make. If I haven't been out backpacking in a while it can take me a while to 'recalibrate' how to do it. It isn't particular hard, it isn't particularly easy, but it does take a little skill and relearning if you haven't done it in a while.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I just ordered my husband a blackbird this morning and to offset my obvious upset feelings (which I need to thank you for reminding me that I would have ), I decided to just go ahead and order myself a blackbird too .

Have you given any thought to ordering your wife her own hammock so she could be hanging out with you??

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    What you really need to do is bring along a surveyor's transit. The newer ones with the laser light are terrific. They weigh maybe 20 lbs but well worth it to get that angle right. It only takes me 20 minutes and it is time well spent. All those other guys just set the ridge line to the tension they want and the geometry takes care of itself. Too sketchy for the fastidious scientist I am.
    I hope there's some sarcasm in there somewhere....
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

TL,
    She laid in mine for a few and immediately wants one so I see one in her future pretty darn quick!

• + New Posts