Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I used a 24" wide 2" self inflating foam pad in my BB DL last week and it worked fine. Temps got into the low 40's. The pad did shift a bit but not enough to cause me any problems. The pad is ok for car camping but way too heavy for backpacking.

On the same trip my wife used a WallyWorld blue waffle pad that is 24" wide and she said she stayed warm in her WB DL although she had some condesation issues in the AM. This pad weights 15 oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Exped synmat pump deluxe 9 in BB

To get an answer to my own question in this thread I slept outside last night with the air inflated Exped synmat deluxe 9 + 3-season yeti + 3-season black mamba.

Pad fit like a glove. I did not put it between BB layers, it is too big for that I think. When used without yeti pad was bit drafty and even with yeti elbows were not as good protected as they where without the pad. Yeti and mamba do not cover so much of sleeper at sides when there is 9 cm (3,5") pad extra under sleeper. Maybe newer Mamba with more width would be better in this sense. You must remember that I'm a big and heavy guy (6,3' and 265), so if sleper is smaller one sides will be better protected.

Clothing was long-sleeved sport shirt, jogging trousers, wool socks, fleece jacket, fleece gloves and my "Bear-hat".

Air temperature dropped at some point under 16 F (-9 C). It was splendid to be outside in those temperatures and feel cosy warm. Unfortunately I did not sleep much for some reason, too much noise perhaps. Otherwise system was easy to use and probably I would have not survived without the pad, those quilts were 3-season versions remember.

With winter Mamba and winter Yeti I will probably be warm even at -10 F (-23 C) at least if I ad some extra clothing, as I always ad when on real trip. So this combo is warm enough and simple enough to be used as my ultimate winter solution. Also the pad is great if one is doing cabin nights between hammock nights.

Only one question remains, how hard the inflating of the pad will be in real hammock trek when there is no floor to do pumping on and there is wet snow everywhere around. Even on house floor pumping took about 3-4 minutes. I have no idea how it would work on hammock, I should test it probably.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    You need to get the pillow pump or the bigger one that doubles as a waterproof storage bag and use the nozzle to connect them both. Inflates the mat in seconds ... so they say.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Angry No air pads with hammock

I have now tested Thermarest deluxe and Exped deluxe syn mat - air mattresses at freezing temperatures, and they do not work. Thermarest with Hennessy hammock and hennessy pads and Exped with Warbonnet winter system.

Last night it was 19 F and it was getting cold, but after I deflated my Exped mattress hammock did get cosy warm almost too warm (Winter Yeti and Winter Black mamba kept me warm.)

Even with some material (cut like web open cell foam in Thermarest and synthetic fiber in Exped mat) inside mattresses air circulation is still possible. And apparently when temperature difference in hammock camping is bigger than in tent camping these mattresses do work as a thermal pump. Mattress keeps ones back chilly by moving warm air away and replacing it with colder air even when it should not do it. And this circulation does not need any movement by the campers behalf, I was still like a rock.

I'll write more specific information to the right forum with better time.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I used a 24" wide 2" self inflating foam pad in my BB DL last week and it worked fine. Temps got into the low 40's. The pad did shift a bit but not enough to cause me any problems. The pad is ok for car camping but way too heavy for backpacking.

On the same trip my wife used a WallyWorld blue waffle pad that is 24" wide and she said she stayed warm in her WB DL although she had some condesation issues in the AM. This pad weights 15 oz.
    Attached Thumbnails
    I used the WallyWorld blue pad a couple of nights last weeks when the temps here droped into the low 30's and slepted just fine. Since I am on blood thinners right now and really feeling the cold I fugured that was a real good test.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    I have now tested Thermarest deluxe and Exped deluxe syn mat - air mattresses at freezing temperatures, and they do not work.
    Interesting.
    I have an Exped DownMat 9 DLX and have used it with great success.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Interesting.
    I have an Exped DownMat 9 DLX and have used it with great success.
    Maybe down is better?

And Thermarest has got, as I said, insulating open cell foam cut like web to keep the weight down. Maybe with solid open cell foam Thermarest would have worked... and then again the temperature was -8 F when I tried Thermarest.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    Maybe down is better?
    It probably does make a LOT of difference.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

New thread in pad section

I did found some success stories about air pads and cold temperatures, but not many of them in sub-freezing temperature. So I started new thread in the Bottom Insulation/Pad -section.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    there's a thread about "how low did you go" going on right now. You might like to check out those that have gone "beyond' .......

btw, my exped 9 dlx dam (down air mattress) might be overkill for most of my uses.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast