Tarp
    10x10 Granite Gear
    Insulation
    HammockGear Burrow
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

WBBB DL and Pads

Anyone using a pad with their double layer BB? I'm going to have to go pad style until I can get my crowsnest and I'm wondering who's had success with what pads. My Prolite 4 is horribly unruly and annoying in my ENO, I know, and my Z-lite pad is just unusable! Does the double layer really help it slide around less? Also, what's the best pad for the job do you think?

I picked up a Walmart bluepad today with the intentions of cutting it in half to make a "wide 'n short" pad. I figured some $5 trial and error couldn't hurt...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Not a Blackbird owner (yet ), but thought I'd comment since my Claytor has a double layer too.

I have a Therm-a-rest Prolite as well, and it's completely useless (or at least VERY annoying). It kinda keeps me warm, but it tends to fold up under me and creates "pressure points" - not very comfortable!
    Finding the right amount of inflation might do the trick.... to much air and I get another problem (same as with the bluepad below) and too little air will cause the pad to fold up.

When using a bluepad type it tends to skate off at it's own will, sticking out of the hammock, leaving me uninsulated and cold. Haven't quite figured out how keep it in place, as I tend to move around while sleeping.

Can't wait for my UQ to arrive!

/Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    Hey Cal,
    I've got a TR Neoair that I just used on a 2 day trip in the mountains of NC. Its covering is stickier than my old TR Ultralight pad, so it doesn't slip around. It's a 3/4 length which is easier to manage in a hammock than full length. It has a built in heat reflector, but that was no match for the upper 40's I encountered. Had to make a trip to town to get a windshield reflector (the silvery bubblewrap kind) to keep my bum warm. The DL really helped keep the 2 items in place, which proved to be a tricky business in my old HHULBA. The DL is handy for using your old ground gear until you save your pennies for an underquilt!

If your pad is slipping around, put lines of silicone caulking every couple inches on one side of the pad.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWild View Post
    Not a Blackbird owner (yet ), but thought I'd comment since my Claytor has a double layer too.

I have a Therm-a-rest Prolite as well..<snip>.. When using a bluepad type it tends to skate off at it's own will, sticking out of the hammock, leaving me uninsulated and cold. Haven't quite figured out how keep it in place....
    /Wild
    I'd like to ask a clarifying question: are you putting the Thermarest or blue pad BETWEEN the two layers of Claytor? If you do, that should prevent the pad's sliding. That's the intent of the second layer, to keep the pad in place....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Spn Dlx w/drs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3 Ssn
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    When I used a pad in my WBBB 1.7 Dbl, I put my pad (Thermo Rest Z-lite) between the layers and I was able to stay warm and be comfortable all night. I am not saying that everything was rosy to begin with. I had to play with it for a while until I got it where it did the most good and after that it stayed where I wanted it all night. If I got out, I would have to re-adjust it every time.

Just my $.02

John

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My WBBB is too new for me to have a bunch of experience with it. However, I've taken it out on 2 overnighters and slept in the backyard twice. Each time I've used the Gossemer Gear 1/8" pad and I have not had any issues with it. Like Savage said if you get out of the hammock you may need to readjust the pad before getting back in. My pad is so thin though that I've not had any slipping around once I have it where I want it. As winter approaches I'll need to change/adjust the system because I'm pretty sure that the 1/8" pad will not be warm enough for me. That's when I'll bring out the IX, maybe buy a down underquilt or if push comes to shove I'll just get back to the ground during the coldest months.

I use a pad between the WBBB double layers all the time. I have underquilts, but I find that pad works just as well for me and are less finnicky to be honest. The wide walmart pad works great, especially when cut in half and will get you down into some pretty cool temps.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ghandrick View Post
    I'd like to ask a clarifying question: are you putting the Thermarest or blue pad BETWEEN the two layers of Claytor? If you do, that should prevent the pad's sliding. That's the intent of the second layer, to keep the pad in place....
    Oh yes it's between the two layers
    In my experience, it's not enough to keep the pad from moving. It might be due to the fact that I use smaller pads?!

/Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWild View Post
    Oh yes it's between the two layers
    In my experience, it's not enough to keep the pad from moving. It might be due to the fact that I use smaller pads?!

/Wild
    Are you using a sleeping bag? I have a mummy shaped self inflating pad that I actually put in my sleeping bag,. This way I sleeping on the pad inside the bag so no matter how I squirm the pad and bag go with me. I still use a 1/8 pad outside of the bad for the shoulders.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast