Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing

Using tree straps without "eyes" sewn on..

Well, the title says it all. I have some outrageously heavy straps that ratchet, originally made for automotive uses. I have ridded myself of all extra metal on them, except for these S-hooks. To do that, I plan on cutting that part of that they are hooked to.

This would leave straps with no eye holes- so my question is "How can I attach them to the trees"? I don't use eyes to attach to my hammock, I usually hook a carabiner through a marlin spike hitch.

So, back to my question, how to attach to the trees- Could I tie something like a "buck-knot" at that end, and run it around, or is there some other knot?
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I assume by reading your post that you don't have a thread injector. It is very doable to hand stitch an eye in your strap. Just use polyester thread and use two needles so you can do a saddle stitch. Stitch in about a one inch box then a x pattern in it. Done properly it will be every bit as strong as machine stitching. If you don't want to sew then a double overhand knot will work just fine.
    Terry

I use straps with no loops for hooks or biners - I just use a round turn and two half hitches to attach the strap to the tree

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Bowline knot. Or cut the hooks and leave the loops (I'm a sheet metal worker so this would be right up my alley but I know... easier said than done)

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I use straps with no loops for hooks or biners - I just use a round turn and two half hitches to attach the strap to the tree
    Sounded familiar HOI.

Good to hear your keyboard!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    If I understand correctly, you have some straps with metal hooks on the end of them. You can cut the metal to remove the strap leaving the loop intact. But how?

One way is to put a very thin abrasive cutting wheel in a hand held electric grinder but that is not recommended if you don't already own safety glasses, hard hat, vise, etc.

Plan B is to go to WalMart and buy a hack saw and a fine toothed blade (for cutting metal), then manually saw on the hook to slide the already stiched loop off of the hook body. Wear gloves or know where your bandaids are. Hack saw blades cut on the pull stroke, not as well on the push stroke.

Plan C is what HOI suggested. Wrap the strap around the tree twice then tie the loose end onto the loaded strap without putting a knot in the loaded one. The strap's friction against the tree holds the weight, not the loose knots that you tied using the unloaded end. Don't tighten those knots much since they are not easy to untie in straps.
    Last edited by heyyou; 09-05-2010 at 18:38. Reason: Added Plan C

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quite right. If you use the hacksaw method, put the hook in a vice if you can. A pair of vice-grips will help if you don't have access to a vice. Most hacksaws only cut in the "push" direction (though you can put the blade in the saw in either direction).

Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    If I understand correctly, you have some straps with metal hooks on the end of them. You can cut the metal to remove the strap with the loop intact.

How? One way is to put a very thin abrasive cutting wheel in a hand held electric grinder but that is not recommended if you don't already own safety glasses, hard hat, vise, etc.

Plan B is to buy a hack saw and a fine toothed blade (for cutting metal), then manually saw on the hook to slide the already stiched loop off of the ratchet strap. Wear gloves or know where your bandaids are. Use the blade with the most teeth per inch if the blades come in a variety pack.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    If I understand correctly, you have some straps with metal hooks on the end of them. You can cut the metal to remove the strap with the loop intact.

How? One way is to put a very thin abrasive cutting wheel in a hand held electric grinder but that is not recommended if you don't already own safety glasses, hard hat, vise, etc.

Plan B is to go to WalMart and buy a hack saw and a fine toothed blade (for cutting metal), then manually saw on the hook to slide the already stiched loop off of the hook body. Wear gloves or know where your bandaids are. Use the blade with the most teeth per inch if the blades come in a variety pack.

Plan C is what HOI suggested. Wrap the strap around the tree twice then tie the loose end onto the loaded strap without putting a knot in the loaded one. The strap's friction against the tree holds the strap, not the overhand knots that you tied using the unloaded end.
    Plan D is to take them to your local hardware store and have them cut them off with their chain cutting tool.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I don't use a loop either, What I do I tie a siberian hitch to tie the strap to the tree and it is a quick release knot so all you do is pull the "tag" end and it unties. I know it works I have never falling from the hammock from knot failure. Hope this helped tiredhiker.
    Ps you can see it here ( ray mears tarp knots) .

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try the hacksaw first, but then I might try the Siberian hitch. I'll update my progress tomorrow!
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast