DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I just accept wet feet as a by-product of hiking in rain and wet conditions for a whole day.
    Part of the game!
    That is why I value dry camp socks and footwear in camp.
    Shug
    I'll 2nd the dry camp socks
    there a life saver
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep!! HAVE TO HAVE dry camp socks! I use Rocky GoreTex socks to keep my "dry" socks dry when in camp. While walking/hiking, I just stay wet/damp. Not really a big issue until weather gets cold/slushy. Then I switch to boots.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 once
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    shug can u do another vid on whats in your pack

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Young hanger View Post
    shug can u do another vid on whats in your pack
    I will try to include that on my up-coming solo trip......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I will try to include that on my up-coming solo trip......
    Shug
    Heck i can't wait for a new Shug video.......
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Ok. I'm bracing myself for the laughs and such, but on a limited budget with limited amounts of time to get out, this is what I have. Keep in mind, UL is the last thing on my mind as I don't hike over 8 miles in a day due to the wife getting mad for me being gone more than 3 days. I'm more of a comfort kinda guy. You will also see some redundancy, but it's my BOB as well.

Large external frame ALICE Pack. (stop laughing..I haven't even begun)
    Food:
    4 day supply of MH food.And some snacks.
    Jetboil PCS
    US surplus canteen cup and stand(redundancy..)
    USGI mess kit(it's cheap and it's SS)

Clothes:
    4 pair socks(one wool)
    Boonie hat
    1 pair shorts
    3 shirts(one long sleeve)
    2 pair pants
    Light hiking shoes(extra pair)
    Poncho
    Rain suit(it rains..alot in the NW)

Shelter:

HH Deluxe A-sym
    HH Supershelter
    Coleman max 0 deg mummy bag
    Wool blanket(multi use)

Water:
    Katadyn Hiker pro filter
    2- $10 filter straws
    3L camelback
    USGI Canteen(the cup and stand fit around it)

Fire:
    3 Bic lighters
    Blast-Match
    mag. block
    vaseline soaked cotton balls
    Trioxane
    Char-cloth
    I know a lot of redundancy, but it comes in handy.

Tools:
    Hatchet
    KaBar
    Multitool
    Neck knife (wrapped in 550 paracord)
    200' Paracord
    file
    sharpening stone
    4' 2-pc. blowgun
    Slingshot and ammo
    First aid kit
    Snake bite kit
    Hiking poles
    pouch with hygene products
    TP

I know there's som stuff I'm missing but I'm at work and can't look to see what all I have. With food and water, I'm a little over 50 lbs. Weight doesn't really concern me because I don't go that far like I said. It serves me well for what I want. And if something happens, I am somewhat prepared if I am to be gone longer than planned.

OK, Y'all can start laughing now.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    Is there a "trick" to wearing trail runners? It seems like part of the deal is wet feet. do you use special socks? Make a special effort to avoid puddles? Put plastic bags on your feet and walk on your hands when its raining? My feet take a pounding in my reasonably light weight boots.

I REALLY like the idea, I'm just worried about trying something new and radical.

My dream is to find something as cushy as crocs with a sole that's as stiff as a hiking boot and as protective too.
    Wet feet is a result of hiking, not foot wear selection. You will get wet feet regardless of what you do if you hike long enough. Brushing up against saturated vegitation, stream crossings, downpours, and SWEAT are just a few of the things that cause wet feet. It is unavoidable. Why not wear something that dries quickly like a well-ventilated runner? Gore-tex socks help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    Is there a "trick" to wearing trail runners? It seems like part of the deal is wet feet. do you use special socks? Make a special effort to avoid puddles? Put plastic bags on your feet and walk on your hands when its raining? My feet take a pounding in my reasonably light weight boots.

I REALLY like the idea, I'm just worried about trying something new and radical.

My dream is to find something as cushy as crocs with a sole that's as stiff as a hiking boot and as protective too.
    My trail runners (Montrail) provide more protection for the bottoms of my feet than the Merrel mid height boots I used to have. I hike in rocky, root filled trails, and off trail across granite and talus slopes.

Some trail runners are waterproof. This is for walking in wet foliage, not through creeks. If the water flows over the tops of the shoes, doesn' t matter if it's a boot or a shoe. Your feet are wet. The difference will be my trail runners have a chance of actually drying out when I'm hiking - and they do, in a few hours or so. Folks I've hiked with who wear a full on Goretex boot step in over the tops in a creek and have mushy socks forever.

I wear wool socks. I take creek crossing shoes to change into in early spring, when it's still cold enough to freeze shoes at night, and rock hop in late summer when the creeks have dropped. I don't have wet feet unless I want them. This is partially environmental - if I were hiking in wetter places, I would let my feet get wet and always have dry socks to change into in camp.

Some trips I deliberately walk through the creeks. One trip I crossed the same creek 10 times in nine miles, and again coming back out to the car, and simply walked through every single time. The water ran out of my trail runners and my feet felt fine in ten minutes or so. No blisters, no problems whatsoever, and since the temps during the day were 70-80F the wading had the effect of actually cooling off my feet.

Heat plus friction plus moisture makes blisters; my trail runners are so light and fit so well, the friction is minimal, and the trouble I had with hot feet went away. I always hated boots - they bruised my ankles and I had to take breaks and take them off to let my overheated feet cool off. I can hike all day without stopping now....

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Thanks Lori. This is what I need to know. Wool socks, don't make a special effort to stay dry, Montrails might give me the support I need.

So, since this thread is about pack weight, do you leave the crocs/camp shoes behind?

Whoa! I just graduated from "junior member" to "Member"!
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I usually take the crocs - the knockoffs I have weigh about 4 oz/apiece and my primaloft sleeping booties fit in them, the crocs protect the soles of them walking around in camp. I clean my feet, put on clean socks, put on the booties if it's really cold, put on the crocs, and wash the dirty socks so they have a chance to dry before the next day.

The only real drawback(s) to mesh trail runners - dirt gets in real easy since they are mondo breathable, and they wear out faster. But it's easy to clean your feet, and I don't mind getting new shoes every year if they don't cost $500.

You might find different shoes work for you than work for me. Everyone's feet are different. I have feet sort of spatula shaped - narrow heel, wide across the ball - so I look for shoes like Montrails and Salomans. My first pair of runners were Salomans. Merrells worked if I sized up but do not fit my foot real well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast