Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Ideal hammock!

My ideal hammock would be made by Hennessy and would be a slightly larger very of the UL Backpacker. It would be the same weight material with a bigger tarp of the same weight. I like the present tarp, but it needs not to be longer but wider.
    It would also have a double bottom so that I could slide a pad or maybe a quilt in there. The super shelter is a great idea, but is poor fitting and while the pad is good for summer use it's a waste of time when it gets colder. I spent time in Norway winter training with a British Regiment and I can't believe that a Bootneck (Royal Marine) could survive with the standard Hennessy setup.
    I would also a like a foolproof way of rigging the whole thing, yes, it only takes two or three minute to hang it, but it takes a hour to adjust everything to make it hang right. I still can't get a decent shape with mine when I am using the SS.

Thanks for reading, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

B-Man

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight
    Speer SPE. Dont know what to tell you about the double bottom. You said it needs to be made by Hennessy. This thing works great.www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    JRB 8X8 tarp http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...Nyl%20Tarp.htm
    Cinch buckles, webbing, and biners for quick set-up and adjustments.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 10-28-2007 at 22:53.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What he said...sounds like exactly what you're describing if you replace the double layer of the hammock with the lighter SPE.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I had trouble getting my Hennessy to hang correctly at first until I put a cheap, very light, plastic line level on the ridge line...I learned where the center bubble should be when I was not in the hammock to insure sleeping comfort when I WAS in the hammock. This really helped me speed set-ups. I left the line level on the ridge line..it did not interfere with the operation of the Snakeskins...another trick...ALWAYS put the head end of the hammock Snakeskin on first and pull the foot end over it so you'll know which end is the foot end just looking at the Snakeskins...

The undercover/pad for the Hennessy never worked that well for me...I still needed a Thermarest pad inside to stay warm...plus, you must untie the hammock to thread the undercover on the tie-out lines...I'd make one yourself that is easier to add and remove...just a thought....

I use an Exped short Downmat 7 now in all my hammocks...that puppy is warm!
    Last edited by mataharihiker; 10-29-2007 at 07:58.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I had trouble getting my Hennessy to hang correctly at first until I put a cheap, very light, plastic line level on the ridge line...I learned where the center bubble should be when I was not in the hammock to insure sleeping comfort when I WAS in the hammock. This really helped me speed set-ups. I left the line level on the ridge line..it did not interfere with the operation of the Snakeskins...another trick...ALWAYS put the head end of the hammock Snakeskin on first and pull the foot end over it so you'll know which end is the foot end just looking at the Snakeskins...

The undercover/pad for the Hennessy never worked that well for me...I still needed a Thermarest pad inside to stay warm...plus, you must untie the hammock to thread the undercover on the tie-out lines...I'd make one yourself that is easier to add and remove...just a thought....

I use an Exped short Downmat 7 now in all my hammocks...that puppy is warm!
    Many here like to hang the foot end a little higher than the head end.
    I dont think I'll need to do that with my bridge hammock so a line level could be something for me to think about.........Grizz....Pan....what do you think?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Many here like to hang the foot end a little higher than the head end.
    I dont think I'll need to do that with my bridge hammock so a line level could be something for me to think about.........Grizz....Pan....what do you think?
    FF, et al,

In our experiance sliding to the foot end is not an issue with the bridge hammock, since it is a true lay flat, lay straight design... We actually find that the head end can be hung approximatly 6 inches higher for trees in the 12-14 foot distance. ... This compensates for the extra weight of the upper body and results in an even flatter lay without any sliding.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    FF, et al,

In our experiance sliding to the foot end is not an issue with the bridge hammock, since it is a true lay flat, lay straight design... We actually find that the head end can be hung approximatly 6 inches higher for trees in the 12-14 foot distance. ... This compensates for the extra weight of the upper body and results in an even flatter lay without any sliding.

Pan
    The idiosyncratic nature of my v0.2 has me hang the foot higher, but that in order to get a level flatness in the hammock. There's a different length of fabric under the head spreader bar than the foot, so when I hang it so that the rings at foot and head are level, inside the head is noticably higher. If I don't hang the foot higher I do slide to the bottom.

It's a minor bother, to be filed under lesson's learned. An eventual v0.3 will address it by having the head and foot be identical in terms of fabric under the spreader bar.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    FF, et al,

Pan
    Glad I asked...Thanks.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Doesn't how you hang your hammock to maintain maximum flattness depend on how you sleep as most of your body weight is obviously above the middle of the hammock...since I sleep on my side with my legs curled up I have even more weight near the head end that those who sleep on their backs with straight legs...hm-m-m-m-m....

Probably not an issue with the Bridge design hammock....

Mmmh, I thought this thread was about improving the Hennessy hammock, somehow it's gotten on to how to hang a bridge hammock.
    Personally I love the design and weight of the UL Backpacker, but with a few improvements it would be perfect. I would like it to have a double bottom where I could add the pad of my choice. I little larger with a tarp that gives more coverage than the standard one but using the same lightweight material.
    At the moment i use a Super Shelter with a Thermorest pad as well as the Hennessy pad. The Pro 4 pad does not weigh all that much and gives a lot of insulation. I don't use a quilt, but a older and very nice down bag used as a quilt.

B-Man

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast