GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images
    Great vid! I'm glad you did the groundwork on that poly rope...I was eyeing it today but didn't have the guts to try it. I'll definitely give it a whirl though!
    -Digrat
    "Better than a map!"

Code:
     _   _
    ( )_( )
     (o o)
      \ /
      >.<

Hey Franksb255,

Bravo! You did a lot of effective problem solving on your very first bridge hammock! I'm sure you will get plenty of pleasure from it.

I'd like to give you a few helpful comments to address some minor details. One thing that I noticed is that the bugnet pulls in pretty tightly to the hammock body. In the video, I heard you say that the bugnet had been reused from a previous hammock. So you probably were limited by that original size in the retrofit. However, if you had bulged out the sides of the netting with a gradual curve (like the inverse of the hour-glass shape of the hammock body), that would allow the netting to lift to the level of the spreader bars, gaining as much height as the cat curves of the hammock have subtracted. It would probably result in a more spacious feeling, and might make zipping it up a bit easier by reducing the tension in the fabric.

I also thought that I heard you say that your shoulders were a bit lifted up after adding the lateral curves to your bridge hammock. A few things that seem to affect that feeling are:

How tightly is your hammock strung? For instance 30 degrees is often recommended, yet I prefer about 15 or 20 degrees. This does put more stress on the suspension so be careful if you are trying this. Also, hanging too tightly with a bridge will cause too much lifting in the middle, can cause the head and feet to drop too much. This could be a cause of the lifted shoulder feeling. But from what I saw in the video, I don't think this was happening.

How far towards the head you are laying? Perhaps moving slightly towards the feet will cause your head to sink less (therefore the shoulders feel raised less). This is probably a symptom of endcap design("draft stoppers" as you referred to them).

Are you using a pillow? Some of my hammocks feel better with a neck pillow, like some people use for napping on an airplane. While others require that the pillow be large and firm enough to lift the head by a few inches (stuffsack with clothes filling it).

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Green 1.1Nylon
    Insulation
    Foam pad/ Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/Marlin
    Images
    Hey dblhmmck, thanks for the comment!

The netting isn't as tight as it may look in the video, except in the upper right corner for some reason, but I wasn't limited in size during recycling it, I actually cut it down to size. There is enough netting that I could run a ridge line above the hammock and sew some hooks into it to pull it up if I needed, I just hadn't got around to it seeing as it isn't in my face like my last hammock, but on the whole everything is pretty ok with that department.

Yes, what I was trying to say was that my whole upper body was kinda lifted from the re-cutting, not that it's uncomfortable, I think I could have done without it.

Yes, the hammock probably is not hung perfectly, as you seen in the video I'm connected to a clothesline pole and a rope around a giant Oak tree. lol. Not ideal conditions, but I don't have two trees close enough to hang, and that's about the only comfortable hang spot in my yard. I think if I were to lower the anchor point of the head end and tighten some it may lower my upper body some.

I'm laying pretty center of the hammock. I don't have to much room to either way, I made it about 80" and I'm about 71".

I would be using a pillow when sleeping, I just didn't have it with the video, nor a sleeping bag and such.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL &amp; GT Single &amp; nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver &amp; Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&amp;WhoopieSlings
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    30 stories tall
    700 percent larger circumference than a blue whale
    2100 tonnes in weight
    The largest living organism that inhabits the Earth
    The Pando aspen grove in Utah......Jus' sayin.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Cool vid. I gotta get up the nerve to attempt a diy hammock. Def. going to do a bridge. I have a sewing machine, just need the time and the nerve. Nice video!
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Nice job...

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Images
    I like it. I too have been frequenting the WM and Hancock fabric here in Greenville. Now I know who's been getting all the WM ripstop.

I haven't attempted a bridge hammock yet but yours may inspier me to try one. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Green 1.1Nylon
    Insulation
    Foam pad/ Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/Marlin
    Images
    haha, yea sorry GvilleDave, Walmart on Whitehorse Road is mine!

For just trying a bridge hammock a few night, I want to do the best simple bridge hammock. I have no sewing machine and want to avoid any cut in the material.

Could you please said to me what is the simplest way to test a bridge hammock ?

Thanks

Fabrice

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12