Tarp
    10x10 Granite Gear
    Insulation
    HammockGear Burrow
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

UQ Warmth / Style Question.

I'm guessing that a UQ's temp rating would be just as important as a TQ's... But just wondering, does anyone use a summer UQ much lower than it's rating with any luck? If I can get away with a 40* CrowsNest, I'd like to!

Also, do you think a coyote brown WBBB with coyote brown TQ and coyote brown UQ is too much coyote brown?

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    not if you are out in coyote territory...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by callook66 View Post
    I'm guessing that a UQ's temp rating would be just as important as a TQ's... But just wondering, does anyone use a summer UQ much lower than it's rating with any luck? If I can get away with a 40* CrowsNest, I'd like to!

You can use other additional items to aid you in staying warm. Pads, an extra layer of clothing or a warm blanket. A water bottle filled with warm/hot water stuffed into a sock is priceless on cold nights! Gets the hammock warm BEFORE you get in, which is really nice!!!
    Draping your poncho over or under your hammock will add a few degrees and keep the winds off you.
    But Adam (stormcrow) is pretty honest on his warmth chart.

Also how low and tight and you pitch your tarp, will have a lot to do with how much breeze carries away your heat.

Also, do you think a coyote brown WBBB with coyote brown TQ and coyote brown UQ is too much coyote brown?
    Not for me. I'd love to see the pics of the Brownbird.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    to me UQ insulation is more important than TQ insulation--heat rises eh.
    too much brown--no way...Banheadboy's tot. coyote rig looked awesome in the Sipsey.
    Taking a summer UQ further-you'll be amazed at what a 1/4 inch thick ccf pad can do to increase your range at very little sheckels and weight; and the 1/4 inch can usually be packed in a large outside pocket or inside especially if it is a framless pack and the ccf can become part of the support system.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My DIY 2/3 Length UL UQ only has 4 oz of down in it and i just had it down to 39 degrees with no cold spots...
    But i'm a warm sleeper..
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

an UQ (and a top quilt) ratings will also depend on if you're a cold or warm sleeper. If you're a cold sleeper, you may not even get to the quilts rating of 40* !! The only way you're gonna find out though is to test it out. Make sure you bring extra insulation when you're testing in case you find yourself getting cold. Extra insulation can include things like your jacket, extra clothes, a military poncho liner, your sit pad, once I even put my backpack inside my hammock at my feet. In dire straits you can even put leaves between your under quilt and the bottom of your hammock.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I've been experimenting with the Crowsnest and Brownbird all weekend. With temps down to 52°F, I was comfortable with the Crowsnest and only some extra clothing. So, my solution to save some cash was to get the 3-Season Crowsnest and save the topquilt for a later time.

For colors, I went with all brown and it looks great. When I get a Winter Incubator, it will be gray because I think it will blend better in the dead winter.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware

I think you could take the Summer Crowsnest down to 35degrees...
    to be honest...spend the extra $20 ad get the 3 season...
    i think in the long run it would be the right thing to do...and you won't have to worry about guessing or being cold
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL, Several DIYs
    Tarp
    10x10 Granite Gear
    Insulation
    HammockGear Burrow
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Awesome! Thanks for the input everyone!

Anybody think the 900fp option is worth the extra $35 on the Burrow and Crowsnest? It seems to me like it'd be worth it just to say I have 900fp down in my gear!

Images

Where are you going to be camping, in Yellowstone? If so, summer only? To me, a 40*F rated UQ would be very marginal in the mountains of WY, even in summertime. (but I guess you already know all about that if you live there) But as has been mentioned, if you have a torso size pad ( also a sit pad), you could easily add a lot of warmth for when the cold fronts move through.

My personal record for summer in WY is 24*F with well over a foot of snow, on June 27 1985, at about 10,000 feet. I can tell you I went to bed so tired and cold, had I been hammock hanging I would have loved a zero degree UQ! Even if it was almost July!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-06-2010 at 19:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast