Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuRastas View Post
    MacEntyre: With your under-quilt I think that's better to put the space blanket the closest layer to the body...
    That's generally recommended in all situations, using a space blanket. It belongs at the high temperature side of the insulation, reflecting back into the volume that is being kept warm.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    not interested in Cuben but could easily get interested in a nylon and foam version. Nice thing is I don't have to worry about what happens in a 4 day rain. ;-)

Images
    Well, I think I have solved the question about IX composition. Following the greenhouses literature he are differents permeability of defferents materials to the FIR (Far InfraRed):

Film PE -> 80%
    Film EVA 18% -> 38%
    Film Polyester -> 27%

So, If the core of insultex is PE the polyester scrims can be what Reflect IR.... In fact there are some Polyester-poliamide geo-textil fabric used to cover the plants ground that, in fact, reflect the IR really well.

There are some frabrics being used in aircraft wings that is really lightweigth polyester but.... if you begin to add costs, Is cheaper to buy the Insultex directly. But... What about a (Evazote EV30 18% VA for example) EVA foam 0,5 mm With polyester scrims.... Can be interesting ....

Well, Only to make the point about this matter because finally I'll go with IX Easier - Cheaper.... Much better for me, at least.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    That's generally recommended in all situations, using a space blanket. It belongs at the high temperature side of the insulation, reflecting back into the volume that is being kept warm.
    Are you still working with this alternative rather than the actual insultex? How low have you gotten? Just wanted some updates on the usage and how warmth really was with 3 layers....or 2, whatever is being used.

Also...would using 1/8 inch work with 2 layers, or would it be better to use 3 layers due to have more air gaps for insulation? It just seems the 1/8 is easier to find, that is why I ask, I'm still looking for 1/32 though.
    Last edited by DivaB; 11-14-2011 at 15:57. Reason: wanted to add another question

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuRastas View Post
    So, If the core of insultex is PE the polyester scrims can be what Reflect IR....
    The core is polyethylene, but the scrim on Insultex is polypropylene, not polyester. That is why is is so buoyant.

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Are you still working with this alternative rather than the actual insultex? How low have you gotten?
    It performs exactly as does Insultex. Once it is encased in nylon, you cannot tell the difference.

Also...would using 1/8 inch work with 2 layers, or would it be better to use 3 layers due to have more air gaps for insulation?
    I don't know... but I would suspect that the 1/8" PEF would be much warmer. The issue, to me, is how well it packs.
    It just seems the 1/8 is easier to find, that is why I ask, I'm still looking for 1/32 though.
    It is commonly used as packing material... so when you travel locally, see if any electonics retailers, hobby shops or picture framers have some in their store or their dumpster.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Thank you MacEntyre for your quick response and helping all of us along.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314