Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Basic Newbie questions and concepts

I am new to hanging. So new, in fact that I have so many questions that I don't even know how to begin. First, I have not found any local hanging resources, so I am truly ignorant and really don’t understand basic hanging concepts. With that in mind, please be patient with me. Some of these questions imply an opinionated response, but I am really looking for concepts rather than preference. Here goes:

What is the advantage of a diagonal lay, and how “flat” is “flat”?

What is a bridge hammock?

What is meant by “ridgeline”? Is that a reference to a “ridge line” (rope strung from attachment points with a tarp across), the reinforced stitching of a tarp or hammock, or am I completely off base here?

I have many more questions to ask, but I feel I need to get these concepts down before I ask too much.

Thanks.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Hey Buffalo,

Welcome to the group. I am also a new guy, but will take a stab at your questions.

A diagonal lay will provide the user with a flatter lay, so as to not be in a "banana configuration" or to also eliminate being wrapped in a cocoon.

How flat you get depends on how much sag you hang your rig with. You will get more detailed info on that I'm sure.

A bridge hammock is a sweet little rig that promotes a flat lay. It has spreader bars and a "three point" style suspension. I know that may be confusing, but it's how I first learned to seperate that style. I lean towards the bridge as I am a large guy.

Ridgeline:
    You are right. The ridge line can be a tarp ridge line, an over hear ridge line to keep the bug net off and hang things on, andcan also be a structural ridgeline to help set the proper sag. once your ridge line is taut, you are at the right distance.

You will get tons more detailed responses, but this should get you going.

Rick

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post

Flat as you would get in a waterbed. Your body isn't flat, so the hammock won't be. The hammock fabric conforms to your body and if you are on a diagonal in a gathered end hammock that banana shape you see in the hammock ceases to exist for you - the hammock lets you lie flat. A true "flat" fabric surface like a trampoline will be uncomfortable; a hammock's flat will be quite comfy indeed.

A bridge hammock is a long sheet of fabric suspended from spreader bars or lines to become a trough or bathtub shape. Unlike a gathered end model it will provide a flat lay consistently, cradling you end to end instead of a diagonal. Stomach sleepers like these. See the Jacks R Better page for the Bear Mountain Bridge hammock, or the gallery for a variety of DIY bridges.

What is meant by “ridgeline”? Is that a reference to a “ridge line” (rope strung from attachment points with a tarp across), the reinforced stitching of a tarp or hammock, or am I completely off base here?
    Both. Sometimes also just the high point of the tarp - If I pitch my tarp with the middle seam oriented from one side to the other, the ridgeline becomes the middle ridge running between two trees.

Some people use an actual line with prussik'd loops that slide along it to suspend their tarp. I have one - it's a neat innovation among many neat innovations in the hammock world.

Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Green 1.1Nylon
    Insulation
    Foam pad/ Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/Marlin
    Images
    Bridge hammock: A hammock with webbing sewed into the sides that connect up to the hammock suspension and is spread apart by spreader bars. It gets its name because it's like a suspension bridge.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1676

Ridge line: A structural cord tightened between two trees that is used to hold up the center of the tarp. Can be either above the tarp or under the tarp, depending on tarp design and/or your preference.

I don't know how flat is flat, but my new bridge seems to be the flat of flatness. Or maybe I don't know how to make a diagonal lay hammock.

You'll have to wait for the other guys to comment about the advantages of diagonal lay.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    In a gathered-end hammock, usually hung with "sag" to get the droopy, banana-like shape, if you lie in line with the suspension (down the middle), your body will follow the curved shape of the hammock and your knees will tend to be hyperextended. This gets very uncomfortable before too long. There is usually enough fabric width (typically 60" plus-or-minus) to permit you to lie "off-axis", with your feet to one side of the center line and your upper torso to the other side. The fabric flexibility will then permit a "flat" lay, more or less. How "flat" is it? Well, it depends on the hammock, the amount of sag in its pitch, etc. Properly pitched, it's "flat enough". FWIW, the worst night I ever spent in a hammock was because it was pitched too tight, without sufficient sag. I just could NOT find a comfortable position.

A bridge hammock is an alternative design to the more common gathered-end construction. the design enables the fabric of the hammock to lie flat because of the use of "bridge" suspension principles in the design. Here's a recent picture posted by Grizzly Adams that shows a bridge.

For a hammock, a ridgeline refers to a cord or line that runs between the two ends of the hammock body. For gathered-end hammocks, that distance is usually 0.83 times the length of the hammock (e.g. a 120" hammock will have a 100" ridge line (more or less)). The hammock ridgeline serves to help with the proper pitch and is a handy place for hanging things when you're in the hammock. For a tarp, "ridgeline" can refer to a one piece ridgeline (a continuous single piece of cord tied between trees) or to the peak of the tarp when two pieces of line are tied to the d-rings or grommets to suspend the tarp between trees.

I hope this helps! Welcome to the forum!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy new feller.....
    I have a video series that may give you some insight to this world....
    Shug's Hammock Hanging Primer
    Then ..... grab a drink of sorts and peruse this forum. Read threads. Soak it up.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's an explanation of the ridgeline with pics:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe/Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Watch Shug's videos. They were a great help for me to understand the basics.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Ditto to what Thase says. Plus it's entertaining as all get out. Shoulda put that in my first post!

Rick

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Thanks to all for your answers. Jeff, I have spent some time on your site the past week, but not currently considering DIY, I had not gotten to the page on Structural Ridgelines. That really cleared alot of the mud from my mind and may have prevented me from asking numerous stupid questions.

But seeing the ridgeline on Jeff's site does beg another question: does a structural ridgeline allow a flatter lay on the diagonal? (I am not obsessing on "flat", just trying to grasp the concept).

The primary driving force behind my questioning is that I am asking all this in the abstract. There is one local outfitter, but he has the attitude that if he doesn't like the idea, he won't promote product, even if he carries it. He did set up for me a ENO (I think) but his set up location was poor, in a shallow corner of his indoor climbing wall. It was a fixed length with about 7-8' spread, alot of hang and impossible to tell anything about the hammock. The nearest REI store to me is Atlanta (6 hr drive), which is likely the most reasonable outfitter around. Though their selection is limited, they do carry ENO and Hennessy, which should give me a sense of what each of these is like, assuming they can/will set it up better than my local outfitter. I have been trying to plan a family trip to Atlanta, but that won't happen for some time to come.

Wordy, but I hope that helps explain my perspective.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast