WBBB
    Tarp
    WB bigmamajama
    Insulation
    walmart blue
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing

underquilt

I have just started hammock camping in the last 6 months. I have a WBBB double layer. I have been useing a walmart blue pad on the 2 trips I have done so far with the hammock. Well the end of oct. we are doing the Georgia AT section for a week. Temp will be colder than what I am use to. What I am wondering is do I need an underquilt? and What is a good underquilt for the money? and do I still need the blue pad with and UQ? Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    With a good underquilt, you shouldn't need the pad unless you want to cut it down for a piece under your feet. As far as good for the money, if it keeps my butt from freezing, then I'm willing to spend a little more.
    It depends on you budget. I made a down uq for around $120. Your going to spend anywhere from $100 to $300 for a decent uq. It depends on if you want down our poly fill type.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    My 2 cents is that a underquilt is absolutely necessary. No matter what the weather warm, cold or in between. I never leave home without one. You just never know what mother nature is going to throw at you. You do not need the blue pad when using a underquilt normally. Though you might opt for one with the underquilt in extremely low temps. As for the best underquilt for the money. That is a matter of personal choice and opinion. Take a look through the venders section and you will find some mighty good choices. I do not believe that you can go wrong with any of them.
    Terry

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    You need insulation, but not necessarily an UQ. The blue pad will work fine, and more pads will be warmer and still only a fraction of the cost of the UQ. Pads of course are bulkier and some argue not as comfortable. Sgt. Rock I believe uses pads exclusively because of the weight/warmth ratio.

I decided that $190 was worth was worth it to me, so I got an UQ. The UQ actually takes up more space in my pack, because I kept the pad strapped to the outside of my pack. In backyard experiments, the UQ appears to dramatically reduce the amount of insulation I need on top, so that may be where I save space.

I was in GSMNP last October and froze every night without a pad. I used a 30°F down bag, a space blanket, a poncho liner, the hot water bottle, wool shirt, Underarmour Coldgear shirt, and a 100 weight fleece. I was usually fine until the water bottle cooled. I was clearly losing heat below me, and I'm convinced a pad would have kept me warm based on recent experience.

If you decide it is worth it for an UQ, check with the vendors and ensure they can get one to you in time. I think JRB is going to be your fastest option, and they have great reviews here.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I assume you have a wide blue pad that insulates your shoulders as well as your backside, and if so then that would be enough, especially with your larger tarp to block wind. Plan on taking the blue pad anyway because you don't want to experiment with the UQ when you're out for a week that time of year, but I would get the UQ because being out for a week is just too great an opportunity to learn to use it and make adjustments so that by night 3 you're sleeping better than you ever have. Using the pad with the UQ will be slightly warmer than using just the pad, but the UQ won't be getting used efficiently that way. I'd use the UQ by itself and use the pad as needed, which I'd imagine it probably would be needed the first night or two, depending on how cold it is. But it doesn't have to be real cold for cold spots to hit when you haven't got the fit down. If you've got a BB, go for the Yeti. At the time I bought my UQ, Brandon didn't have any in stock and had recommended the Mt Washington. I got the short to have the option of going to a full length if I wanted to, but I never have.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB bigmamajama
    Insulation
    walmart blue
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    so should I get the yeti 3 season or winter

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Do you need an underquilt... no many people have gotten very low with just pads.

Is an underquilt more comfortable and less bulk... YES but also more expensive.

Underquilts come in 3 main lengths:

2/3 - covers from your shoulders to your knees (a cut down pad will be needed for your legs as the temps drop below 60* for me personally). Least bulky and lightest weight.

3/4 - covers from your shoulders to about your calves. slightly More bulky and weight but more coverage.

Full length - covers the entire hammock. the bulkiest and heaviest of the bunch and costs a bit more.

Some vendors to look at:

Warbonnet Outdoors.net - 2/3 underquilts

Hammock Gear.com & Tewa underquilts - 3/4 underquilts

jacksrbetter.com - full length underquilts
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrad73 View Post
    so should I get the yeti 3 season or winter
    Not sure which temps you are looking to get to but the 3 season got me down to the upper 30*F in March 2010 with no cold spots. I'm more of a cold sleeper too.

Winter got me down to 3*F January 2010. Probably could have gotten lower but my set up left a gap instead of keeping it snug to the hammock that night for some reason. The gap left me a cold spot. USER ERROR

I did a 35*F night in a snow storm and was fine with better set up in the winter yeti in February 2010.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    O.E.S Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Lost river UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm leaving to do the GA section Oct 18th and just ordered a Baby Orca IX UQ from MacEntyre. I have a 20 degree bag I'm taking and a pad but the temperatures on the AT in October can be unpredictable. Just felt like an UQ was a must!

Hammock
    WB BB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing and biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post

Some vendors to look at:

Warbonnet Outdoors.net - 2/3 underquilts

Hammock Gear.com & Tewa underquilts - 3/4 underquilts

jacksrbetter.com - full length underquilts
    I am think of this same purchase and have another question - Do these underquilts fit any brand or are they brand-specific? How do they attach?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast