Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images

Have fabric need help!

Just hit the $1 Wal-Mart bin & would love to know what I've got. Is there anyone who could help me if I sent them a small piece & how big would it need to be? It's not extremely important because I'm going to "learn/practice" on this material, but would like to know what it is anyhow. Also what are good starter projects to get the feel of working with these light slick fabrics? (I'm thinking stuff sacks to start). My goal is of course to make my own hammock, underquilt, & especially tarp. Thanks ahead for any help.

Jeff

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Take a picture and post it here, most DIYers can tell what it is by a picture. Also describe it, feel, breathability etc...

Images
    yes - what we need is a hammock forums fabric expert. I have purchased three rolls of material from Walmart. The first was already discussed in another thread and someone else who bought similar material thought it might be silnylon. the second is a ripstop polyseter or nylon, and the third is the same as the first.

I filled a small eyeglass cleaner bottle with water and put it in the car so whenever I'm in a walmart I can wander over to the fabric section and test for waterproof fabric.

I also found a stay-at-home mom who likes to sew and is sewing my projects for a price that is well below the value of my time, even if I could sew.

Images
    Well you probably want to know what the weight of the fabric is. To do that measure how much you have (or cut 1sqft) and weigh it.
    Second you would probably like to know what material it is. The two most common 'types' are taffetas and ripstops. Ripstops are easily identified by the 'grid' they make. Taffettas are tightly woven. There is a difference in thread count but it's hard to actually know without counting....
    Hold it up to the light and it will 'tell' you how many threads.
    The second part of the second part is what it is made of. The two that are pretty similar in feel are polyster and nylon. Most people use nylon for hammocks. Although some use an inner layer of polyester because it's a bit softer to touch. Anyway the best way to tell is by doing a burn or chemical test. The formic test is much clearer IMO.
    The last thing you'd like to know is if it's coated. Is it uncoated, dwr coated, or waterproof? It's going to be pretty dull on both sides if it's uncoated. It also has a slightly different feel. If it's got one shiny side that might be dwr. The best way to test is to see if the fabric holds water like mentioned above. If it does hold water it's either silicone impregnated or polyurethane coated (PU). The PU coat looks ummm....coated on while the impregnated looks more 'in' the fabric.

Clear as mud?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    Also many DWRs are 'invisible' coatings so you need to see if the water beads and rolls off like the lotus effect or if it just wets and soaks in...

The fabric Green Therapy posted about is one with no visible surface treatment. I happened to score some in Grey from my Wallyworld.

I suspect its water resistance is a function of what its made of, the surface finish (a bushed textured finish) and a DWR treatement. Its essentialy waterproof unless you add pressure, then you can force the water through it, but it doesn't "wet" the fabric in the process... Very neat.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Can you see your hand through the material? Probably 1.1oz. Can't see hand through material? Probably 1.9oz or heavier. Is one side of the material shinier than the other side? It has some sort of coating, probably DWR.

If you wanna send me a sample I will try and identify it for you.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images

Update 1:00 Tuesday

Ok here are my current observations (please don't laugh too hard at simple ignorance, but please do laugh): I bought 2 lengths of material 1 dark green & 1 a light tan color. First the dark green: It is not ripstop (no grids) it looks & feels more like the body of my HH Expedition just not as heavy (HH thickness measured at about .007" this is .004") & seems to have no coating or DWR because water slowly soaks in & through. Now the tan: has grids, looks just like the stuff sack of my HH but doesn't have that coated feel to it. Must have some king of coating because water beads up on it great. I currently have a puddle of water on it over a bowl (it's just sitting there not soaking in at all). I can move air through it by blowing so I'm guessing a breathable DWR? I'm working on some pics but not sure how to post them (need advice there too). Well thats where I am so far so once again thanks for all the help I really appreciate it .

Images
    Yes sounds like the dark green is a taffeta without anything special on it... may be either polyester or nylon. Doesn't really matter.

Light tan is likely ripstop nylon with DWR... (Ripstop polyester exists but is quite uncommon.)
    So many projects, So little time....

Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Yes sounds like the dark green is a taffeta without anything special on it... may be either polyester or nylon. Doesn't really matter.
    unless it gets wet right? if i'm not mistaken the poly doesn't have the stetching sagging issue when wet compared to nylon.

Images
    here's a short comparison of nylon and polyester:

http://www.sternandstern.com/polyest...andfabrics.asp

Does any think that either would be better for hammock gear than the other?

I recently bought 12 yards of a ripstop that held water very well from the $1 bin at walmart and I'm having it made into a 12 x 12 tarp - I think it is 1.1 by comparison to other known 1.1 and 1.9 that I have around the house. I don't know if it is nylon or polyester, though. I've seen more like it at walmart - onlly it was bright orange and there were only 2 yards. I'm hoping to find it in white for a summer tarp that will reflect heat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast