Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    I'd like to say "Welcome to Canada!" in advance.
    Seconded!

(Wish i had some winter hanging experience to help you with, but I'm a newb...)

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Dear Distorted,
    you will receive a number of suggestions as you already have, and I'm sorry to tell you, but you my friend are going to have to make the final choice between some very good pieces of gear.

But with that said, you might want to keep in mind...
    1. If you are cold or warm sleeper.
    2. You can't really have too much insulation.
    3. The budget limits, that only you know.
    4. Do your feet get cold...3/4, 2/3, or supplemental insulation.
    5. What are the actual temps. you will experience, and how many times per year.

I wish I could be of more help to you, but the great thing about HF, is the collective brain trust that exists within.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL W/ ADJ RL
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben Hex CTRL
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    1/8 Whoopie Slings
    Images

All, Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    I probly said this 100 times ....and i'm more then happy to say it another 100 times...

Winter Crowsnest

I have a Winter crowsnest...i'v had it in some really cold weather
    7 degrees at the NJ hang...probly colder in the back yard playing around
    and let me tell ya...i'm never cold with that baby under me
    his work is outstanding .....and they are a joy to order from

don't get me wrong ...i have and love my JRB quilts...and had a chance to use a yeti for a bit and really liked it...and also i make my own quilts
    but the winter crowsnest is the best winter quilt i have found so far
    Greenlespaul, The Winter Crowsnest is the newest thing on the market right now. My understanding is that It’s an item that is on my strongly recommended list at this moment. I read many rave reviews of his products.

A little off topic, but I must admit, I really enjoy the way his website is configured – so easy to place an order for a custom quilt with just a few clicks. Out of all of the cottage manufactures for camping gear (not just hammock-related camping) I will say that Stormcrow has one of the best websites out there, Well designed, and easy to navigate. The marketing just works… It’s always one of the first to pop into my mind because of it too. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Greenless you always beat me to the punch . I used my crows nest on last years NJ trip and it got down to seven and kept me toasty. I have only seen other quilts and inspected them and every quilt Ive seen by all cottage industries is great work but I have 4 of Stormcrows quilts (summer and winter set's) and in fitting with the BB they are a match made in heaven IMHO. The reason that I am such a fan of my crows nest is the 3/4 length and The dimensions are a bit wider in the shoulder area so it really comes up and wraps up around you with and dosent slip in the night time. And most importantly Adam is a great guy to work with and is really accomodating to his customers. But which ever quilt you get im sure you'll be happy with. I have some pictures of both the summer and winter crows nest in my gallery FYI if you wanna check them out.
    lazy river road, I looked at your pictures – thanks for the reference. Really considering the Crowsnest 900FP Overfilled at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've used my Winter Yeti in temps well below zero; stayed nice and warm.
    Granted, my coldest temps have been in arid Colorado, but I've also been to -4f in New England with plenty of humidity and stayed warm. Love my Winter Yeti!
    Cannibal, I must admit, I think another Warbonnet product would compliment my WBBB’s very nicely. As I have said before, I was very pleased with the Sumer Yeti and would have no problems ordering another for winter. This is second on my list right now -- But I’m fearing super long lead-times with Warbonnet Outdoors. Does anyone know if Brandon offers overfill options for the winter yeti?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Don't want to forget the JRB MW4. Rated to zero, and I think some folks have taken it below that no problem. I don't know the actual ratings of the other winter choices like Yeti and Crowsnest and others, but I think they are similar. I would suppose it would just be a matter of finding the actual measured loft of these quality choices and going with the most loft, even taking an "overstuff" option if available. Considering that you will probably be going below the official rating of all of these, so every mm of loft will count. Along with other oh so helpful design aspects like differential cuts. Also don't forget vapor/radiant barriers added to any of them, which I think the Yeti is meant to work with from the get go. Might add 10 or more degrees.
    BillyBob58, You bring up some very interesting points that I never thought to considered – mostly in part due to my lack of expertise in the hammocking relm. The vapor barrier is definitely makes sense in a winter application. Who out there offers these feature?

One thing, I’m still at a loss as to how a differential cut actually serves any beneficial purpose to the user? To me, it seems like just a marketing gimmick. While on that subject, can someone enlighten me on how this works and the purpose of differential vs standard cut quilts? I must be missing something here.

The JRB WM4 is one of those highly recommended items that I’ve written off due to price. I know it’s was one of the only winter UQ’s on the market and have proven itself through others praise, but it does not seem to compare well with others on the market when comparing price. It’s really at the high end of the spectrum. That’s said, is it worth that extra $100 over a Stormcrow Winter Incubator?

Very much below zero and I suspect you will be adding either a full length or torso pad with any of them.
    I was hoping to get away without using a sleeping pad with my hammock in general. As a lightweight backpacker, who weights more than he should, I really struggle with the weight of a hammock kit vs the weight of ground-dwelling kit. The necessity to carry a hammock strong enough to support my weight actually, in most way, circumvents the ultra light principal. If I throw a winter pad into the mix, it’s practically out the window.

Finally, don't forget a NON-dif cut approach, like the Speer PeaPod.
    This, I do not believe will work for me. It’s big, bulky and even though it gets the job done, I am for certain the PeaPod is on the bottom of my list.

My criteria: (Should have mentioned earlier)
    -Supports 0 degrees
    -Light as possible
    -Compact, lease amount of space used in pack
    -Durable

I appreciate all the input! Please keep the suggestions coming!

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    I'd like to say "Welcome to Canada!" in advance.
    Odds, Thank you for the welcome!

Although, this is not my first time living in the country. From 2002-2007, I spent 90% of my time working at various jobsites as a project manager and start-up engineer. Spent time in Vancouver, Quebec. Ontario; Timmins, Sudbury, Barrie, Newmarket, London, Sarnia Toronto, Windsor to name a few places.

I see you are from London. I lived there for 7 months. When you drive up and down the 401, there is a small automotive manufacturing plant called “BROSE” – White building, lit sing with red lettering. That was one of my projects a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    +1 Welcome to the great white north, Jason. Well partially white if last winter was any indication in the Toronto area. For the record, Toronto is considered to be in Southern Ontario.
    BrianWillan, Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I do agree that Toronto is considered "Southern Ontario".

So when you say Northern Ontario for your hanging, where are you referring to?
    Pretty much Algonquin & North. My Girlfriends family have a camp near Willisville, ON at the far end (east) of Charlton Lake. 46.139352,-81.66746 So I spend a lot of time between Algonquin & Killarney.

If you are camping any where say south of Algonquin Park, just bear in mind that with all of the Great Lake water sources, the winter temps tend to be more humid and damp than other areas that get a fair amount of now. So the temperatures in this area will feel more bone chilling cold than other areas.
    Duly noted – Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Link to the JRB Mt. Washington 4 UQ.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21876
    Thanks for the link – I saw that post this morning. Not a bad price either.

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    With a MW4 UQ and a supplemental pad, you can handle temps well below zero.
    I think this is number three on my list right now. I’m very certain this UQ will work for my needs. I’m just a bit concerned with price.

Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Seconded!
    (Wish i had some winter hanging experience to help you with, but I'm a newb...)
    Thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    Dear Distorted,
    you will receive a number of suggestions as you already have, and I'm sorry to tell you, but you my friend are going to have to make the final choice between some very good pieces of gear.

But with that said, you might want to keep in mind...
    1. If you are cold or warm sleeper.
    2. You can't really have too much insulation.
    3. The budget limits, that only you know.
    4. Do your feet get cold...3/4, 2/3, or supplemental insulation.
    5. What are the actual temps. you will experience, and how many times per year.
    1) Warm Sleeper.
    2) I will argue this point if you goal is to go as light as safely as possible -- everything weighs something. But I understand what you meant.
    3) Understood.
    4) Cold feet? Not with GooseFeet Slippers! I think 3/4 is what I am after.
    5) -10 to 10 below, 15 nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    I wish I could be of more help to you, but the great thing about HF, is the collective brain trust that exists within.
    And in the end you are absolutely right! But the input gathered from this forum will help educate me in all the options of winter underquilts and hopefully allow me to not miss anything before I make a purchase.
    Last edited by Distortedaxis; 09-08-2010 at 23:00.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You've been around Canada more than I have. Glad to have you another time round

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12