Grand trunk ultra light
    Tarp
    10x8 blue tarp
    Insulation
    probly DIY
    Suspension
    two trees?

bug net and spreader bars?

i found many hammocks with the net already on it and im scared about breaking zippers, because it is one of my skills. my question is will the little flying buzzing monster get me if i drape a net over my hammock?

also so you need a special hammock for speaderbars?
    how do i upload a picture?
    where do i buy the material for a tarp?
    whats my favorite color?
    how do i know if im jewish or not?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8x10 polyethelene
    Insulation
    REI long CCF pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, amsteel
    I have used the Mombassa Outback over my ENO Doublenest, and it worked perfectly to keep the bugs out. The net will bunch up around the ends of the hammock of course, so I just tied it off at those points. The rest of the net dangles around the sides, and if you twist it when you tie off the ends, it will wrap around the bottom. This is hard to explain, but hopefully I have pointed you in the right direction. I have used regular 'ol sticks as spreader bars for this bug net, which is rectangular and designed for a cot or bed. I have also found that it works well to tie a loop around both trees and hang the net off of that. Of course, you need relatively wide trees for this to separate the sides of the net sufficiently. I plan to post in more detail on the use of this net later. Dejoha has posted an excellent thread detailing how to mod this net into a hammock net: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18646

Hammock
    Treklite Double
    Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images
    Most people don't seem to believe me when I tell them this, but I do not use a bug net, I have never needed a bug net, even camped right in the middle of the congaree swamp on more than one occasion, in the summer, I tend to get in my hammock well after dark, and the mosquitoes have gone to bed my then apparently!! So in my opinion, unless you are sleeping during the day, the bug net actually only offers peace of mind and little else.
    Relax, monsters under the hammock are easily distracted by twister-playing squirrels.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyRadical View Post
    i found many hammocks with the net already on it and im scared about breaking zippers, because it is one of my skills. my question is will the little flying buzzing monster get me if i drape a net over my hammock?

It can work, and does for some folks. I did not have luck with it. When I moved, the netting would flop loose for a second and skeeters would fly in. I opted for a full sock or a zippered net, to insure a good seal against the blood thirsty horde.

also so you need a special hammock for speaderbars?
    Yes, a bridge hammock needs spreader bars, you can use spreaders on a gathered end if you wish, but normally requires a reinforcing mod to work with a gathered end.

how do i upload a picture? Click on "Go advanced". Click on the "attachment icon" (the little paperclip), allow HF to scan, click the paperclip again, browse your files, select pics, upload. Once they are uploaded, you can insert them where you want on your new post. One at a time or all at once, then insert your comments around the pics, your choice. Or go the "gallery". (top left of every page) "Upload pics"and follow the steps.

where do i buy the material for a tarp? OWF (Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics), Noah Lamport, to name a few. There are a lot of links on the existing threads on HF. Use the "search" button on the upper right hand of every HF page. Click on "search" and enter your key word (e.g., fabric) and it will lead down your path to your answer.

whats my favorite color? GREEN

how do i know if im jewish or not? You got me there?
    Hope that helps. You can use the search feature to track down lots of your desired info. It can be overwhelming, and lead you astray sometimes. But it will save you from asking questions that have been addressed a few 100 times. So now you can search "upload", or "bridge" and find some answers!

We encourage folks to ask questions, but we also encourage folks to use the forum at its full function. Search for your answers, you'll get a broader answer from reading three or four threads that deal with your topic, not just one or two peoples opinion. Then if your still stymied ask away.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts