Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    hey, do you tend to change positions in the bridge during the night, or do you tend to stick with one position all night long, or have you not slept in it long enough to notice?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    hey, do you tend to change positions in the bridge during the night, or do you tend to stick with one position all night long, or have you not slept in it long enough to notice?
    I move some, probably change positions when I wake, which seems to happen every couple of hours. Unless I'm really exhausted.

Once this summer on a backpacking trip, after a particularly grueling day, I lay in one position (my back) in my HH Explorer, for 11 hours, answering nature's call at most twice. After the rigors of the day it was heaven to just float there.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I move some, probably change positions when I wake, which seems to happen every couple of hours. Unless I'm really exhausted.

Once this summer on a backpacking trip, after a particularly grueling day, I lay in one position (my back) in my HH Explorer, for 11 hours, answering nature's call at most twice. After the rigors of the day it was heaven to just float there.

Grizz
    With age come a certain experiance of comfort.... me... older.... I lay down on my back... snug in and I'm out for the capacity of the bladder, 4-6 hours... repeat... Enjoy the next day refreshed.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    I lay down on my back... snug in and I'm out for the capacity of the bladder, 4-6 hours...
    Pan
    <G> i like the way you put that <G>
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Grizz, TeeDee, anyone:

If I wanted to put a pad sleeve on a bridge hammock, should I just make it with 2 full layers, or could I sew a sleeve just the width of the pad (like 20" wide). Didn't know what you thought about the stich holes weakening the nylon. I'd like to somehow get a sort of trapazoidal cross section with a thermarest for the bottom, any ideas?

Would it work to just sew a pad sleeve with webbing on the edges, then run different lengths of webbing up to the suspension cord on each side (like a real suspension bridge, the pad sleeve being the bridge deck). Fill in the sides with netting or something later? Sorta like this (viewed from the side):

|__|__|__|

Even if this worked it would probably be a real mess of tangled webbing when I took it down huh??

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I bet sleeping with a pad in a bridge hammock is MUCH less hassle than sleeping with a pad in a normal hammock where you sleep diagonally. Might not even need a pad pocket.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    Grizz, TeeDee, anyone:

If I wanted to put a pad sleeve on a bridge hammock, should I just make it with 2 full layers, or could I sew a sleeve just the width of the pad (like 20" wide). Didn't know what you thought about the stich holes weakening the nylon. I'd like to somehow get a sort of trapazoidal cross section with a thermarest for the bottom, any ideas?

Would it work to just sew a pad sleeve with webbing on the edges, then run different lengths of webbing up to the suspension cord on each side (like a real suspension bridge, the pad sleeve being the bridge deck). Fill in the sides with netting or something later? Sorta like this (viewed from the side):

|__|__|__|

Even if this worked it would probably be a real mess of tangled webbing when I took it down huh??
    The JRB hammock is cut in three pieces, like Dutch's amazing pack-o-bridge, using flat-felled seams. The middle section is 26" or so width, and they attach a pocket that width by incorporating it into those seams. I'm going to try that someday.

I'd be leery of puncturing the load-bearing fabric by just sewing on a pocket. Call me conservative--- now WalkingBear did a 2-body hammock, cut the outer body 1/2" wider, so this is possible.

I guess you know but I'll state for the record that at the moment I'm using a completely separate 2nd body, cut to the same dimensions as the 1st body. This body can easily be 1.1 oz, hence light. I used 1" grosgrain, folded over to 1/2", to play the role that 1/2" webbing does in the main body. I also put on grosgrain loops every 9" or so, and threaded spyderline through that. Tied onto a ring at one end,
    looped through a ring at the other end and back to a figure-9, I can adjust the tension. Look close up at this picture on the left side and you can side the loops with the spyderline going through it. This has the advantage over a double-bodied hammock that you can put varying width padding...I used a 3" thick downmat in there one night. Downside is extra weight. Also some pads do move, my thermarest in particular. I'm afraid this would happen in a 2-body hammock, and it would be harder to fix from inside. I think I can address that issue with some straps sewn onto the 2nd body.

I'm inclined to the two-body solution for the sake of weight, but am concerning about the potential for a slipping pad and the difficulty of fixing that without getting out of the hammock.

Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I bet sleeping with a pad in a bridge hammock is MUCH less hassle than sleeping with a pad in a normal hammock where you sleep diagonally. Might not even need a pad pocket.
    still slips around on the inside, at least a 20" one does.

Grizz

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hrm...that's surprising.

Re: sewing directly to the body, I haven't had problems with my down hammock.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    That's an understatement. I use a 24" wide wally world pad in my JRB bridge and it does not move around in the pad pocket. No buckling and other pains associated with pads in traditional hammocks. I'm looking for a 26" wide pad so I can use the maximum width the pad pocket allows. I tell you I am just as comfy with a pad(s) than with an underquilt in this hammock. I am finally able to sleep well on my back in a hammock. Pure bliss.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast