Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Cuben Tarps for Hammocks

OK my final "big" purchase for my set up is that of an elusive cuben tarp for a hammock.

I'm looking for one 11 feet long by 8.5 feet wide... cat cut and weighing without suspension between 5.5 - 6 ounces.

I have zero sewing skills and zero time to do attack this project if I did. Who's up to the challenge.

So far the tarps out there currently dont meet that spec. I would totally go for a OES Cuben but looks like production is up in the air.

Couselor has a new addition so his research and production is up in the air.

Also, Those that have the OES Cuben Deluxe proto - how is it holding up?
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit 1.0
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Asym
    Insulation
    JRB/HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and spiders
    Try sending an Email to MLD or Zpack and see what they can do for you.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My OES Maccat Deluxe Cuben tarp is holding up just fine, and I think Brian would work with you to get what you want. He does a bang-up job on custom tarps.

MLD also has cuben tarps, but I'm not sure they would have one the size you're wanting. The one I linked to is 10.7’ Long X 8’ Wide, and not cat-cut. I guess you could contact them and see whether they'd do custom work. I've not worked with them in the past, so I have no experiences to relay to you.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit 1.0
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Asym
    Insulation
    JRB/HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post

MLD also has cuben tarps, but I'm not sure they would have one the size you're wanting. The one I linked to is 10.7’ Long X 8’ Wide, and not cat-cut. I guess you could contact them and see whether they'd do custom work. I've not worked with them in the past, so I have no experiences to relay to you.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that Ron at MLD does custom work and will work with you to get what you want/need. There is a price to be paid for it though..... Also, Joe at Zpacks will do the same. I have products from both and they are nicely done. Take a look at the BPL forums for feedback from past MLD and Zpacks customers

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    OK my final "big" purchase for my set up is that of an elusive cuben tarp for a hammock.

I'm looking for one 11 feet long by 8.5 feet wide... cat cut and weighing without suspension between 5.5 - 6 ounces.

I have zero sewing skills and zero time to do attack this project if I did. Who's up to the challenge.

So far the tarps out there currently dont meet that spec. I would totally go for a OES Cuben but looks like production is up in the air.

Counselor has a new addition so his research and production is up in the air.

Also, Those that have the OES Cuben Deluxe proto - how is it holding up?
    My 9' x 11' Cuben CT1K.08 weighed 6.6 oz. before I started adding tie-outs. Now it's 8 oz., but the next one will be lighter because I'll use carbon fiber tubes instead of aluminum for the tie-out edge reinforcements (Gnome's design, and better than sewing webbing to cuben IMO). The other major change to make everything lighter will be to change the shape so I can use fewer tieouts. The current tarp has 4 tieouts on each side. When I carry stakes for all of them, they weigh as much as the tarp.
    I'm not offering tarps for sale, just suggestions.
    Consider a design with fewer tieouts.
    Consider one that's not cat cut; cuben may not need it. (I may change my mind about this point after I camp on the windy edge of the Allegheny Front next week on the way to the Dolly Sods hang.)
    Consider a tarp that uses CT2K.08 (most of the makers listed above use it,anyway). My CT1K.08 tarp is holding up so far to some rough treatment, but I see a couple of spots I'll reinforce before using it again.
    Consider making your own. At least don't be put off by lack of sewing skills. Better not to sew anyway. Taping/bonding cuben requires some different skills, but they're easy to learn. If you make it, you'll know how to fix it. (Repairs to cuben make it stronger. Can't say that about sil or spinn.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well said, WV.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts