JRBBMB
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    Layers and pad
    Suspension
    Tri-Glides

Summer Hammock Camping In FL?

Anyone have any experience hammock camping in the heat and humidity of Florida or any where tropical? How would you rate your experience? How did you stay cool?

Thanks,
    John ^_^

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    BSA Summer Camp this year was 100% humidity with real temps hitting 107. Heat index was awful!! Night time temps were mid 80's. My Clark Tropical did really well. No under quilt and only a silk sheet inside. I used a small fan every night for about an hour, then would wake up cool and turn it off. I kept a bucket by my hammock so I could get cold water in it and soak my feet. That helped to cool me down too. A tiny fan is a must have item to hang on your ridge line inside the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I hiked about half of the FT during the summer months; brutal. A fan does help tremendously and if you'll search for a fan posting by T-BACK, he hacked-up a camping fan to get the weight down nicely. He's a Florida hiker also. Insulation use was very rare; only a couple of months out of the year that insulation is needed south of Orlando.

I often went to sleep in a hiking shirt that I soaked in water and wrung-out. Couple that with a fan blowing on you and it feels almost like falling asleep under an air conditioner. Pure Heaven at the end of a Florida day.

And of course, site location. I would have traded everything I had for a site with even a slight breeze on several occasions. When I found one, I usually made camp; whether I had made the mileage I was targeting, or not.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    I am from Florida and it gets pretty hot and humid but I grew up camping here so you just have to make due. I split my time between hanging and tent/tarp camping and I always use a thermarest pad and my MYOG bag rated to about 70 degree's haha. Good Luck!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I camp alot in Southern North Carolina. I'm only about 25 miles from the SC border. Not quite tropical, but it can get very hot and with humidity at or near the 100% mark, it can get nasty.

I guess the best tip is to try and keep air flowing around you. If you can get away without using a bugnet or sock, that will make a huge difference. Camp near lots of shade and/or some running cool water that can make a little breeze into a nice makeshift AC when it runs underneath a hammock. I use a lighter colored tarp in summer to deflect some heat also.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Welcome John!

I'm in Arlington and have done some back yard hangs. It's just brutal. We've had some cooler breezes recently, but the only thing I've found that helps is cool clothing and moving air. I don't have a bug net yet so I only stay out for short jaunts.

Rick

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    I am south Florida hiker and after being on the AT for a while this summer all I can say is that mountains are a picnic compared to swamps. I have 50 rated bag and I use it as a pillow! A poncho makes a fine blanket and it is never colder than that here half the year. Hammocks are great here since the ground can be very dicey. The problem is the mosquitos. They will get you through both your net and your hammock. You have to have a full net enclosure or you are dinner. I have a thermarest more for armor than warmth. Last weekend in the Withalacoochee Forest we could barely cook because the bugs were so thick--and that was with the bug spray. It may be flat here, but it is not for the faint of heart.
    Last edited by Flackfizer; 09-13-2010 at 10:24.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandoah
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Florida hanger here... I'll add that it helps to get all of the sweat, sunscreen, and bug spray off of you before turning in for the night. I'm a kayak camper so i can carry more weight than a backpacker. I used to carry a 2.5 galllon shower with me, but now I just carry a 15oz nalgene bottle with some no-rinse, water, and a washcloth. If I'm clean, I can tolerate the heat much better during the night. As far as the overall experience, I would say that summertime camping in Florida is not the most enjoyable, but the spring, winter, and fall are hard to beat. As a kayaker, it is easier for me because I generally have a breeze off the water .

i live in jax too. we camp at litle talbut island at haloween and easter each year. they don't allow hanging. but they do allow my big dodge truck and coolers i just came home from a week hammock camping. first time efver in a hammock and i love it!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm in south Florida and my summer hiking trips include an airline ticket to northern mountains. Just got back from New Hampshire. Call me a wimp, but I won't even consider leaving my air conditioner in summer

• + New Posts