Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images

Unhappy Help! dutch clip failure.

Hi all, I just got back from a 5 day trip into Algonquin park. I hung on my shiney new dutch clips for 3 nights and on the fourth day I was showing a friend my blackbird when snap the dutch clip poped and he ended up on the ground. I could only find one small shard of the clip after searching for some time. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. I hung the clip on my stock warbonnet suspension facing the ground like an upside down U with the hooks around the webbing. I snuged it up to the tree... I don't see what could have gone wrong. They're rated for like 1000 lbs and my buddy weighed 225. Help!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    Hi all, I just got back from a 5 day trip into Algonquin park. I hung on my shiney new dutch clips for 3 nights and on the fourth day I was showing a friend my blackbird when snap the dutch clip poped and he ended up on the ground. I could only find one small shard of the clip after searching for some time. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. I hung the clip on my stock warbonnet suspension facing the ground like an upside down U with the hooks around the webbing. I snuged it up to the tree... I don't see what could have gone wrong. They're rated for like 1000 lbs and my buddy weighed 225. Help!
    You will probably want to PM Dutch about this: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/member.php?u=409
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I saw an interesting post a while ago...don't remember who...talked about force at the point where the webbing comes together as a function of the angle. Conclusion was most force when snugged against tree.

Bummer..
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I saw an interesting post a while ago...don't remember who...talked about force at the point where the webbing comes together as a function of the angle. Conclusion was most force when snugged against tree.

Bummer..
    Grizz, it is not only how the force is divided and the vector angles around the wrap of the tree where the clip is attached, but a few other things as well. I am no expert with this so my understanding is very limited, but I understand some of the basic principles involved. Basically there is the directional forces on the metal of the DC itself.

What I was concerned with when I first saw the DC was that in appearance, it looks like a specialized shaped carabiner without a retaining clip or screw attachment on the opening side, or gate. When I look at the light weight CAMP carabiner that the DC was intended to replace I see etched in it strength ratings for forces along the intended axis with the wire gate closed and open, 22kN and 9 kN respectively. That is quite a difference. The second thing I noticed is the CAMP is shaped on the ends intended for rope or webbing to force the rope or webbing away from the gated side and next to the more structural sound solid piece of metal... there is a mechanical advantage with fulcrums that works out to a significant mechanical disadvantage with an open gate if the forces are applied along the open gated side.

Since the DC is fundamentally an open gated carabiner, I suspect its rated strength varies a good bit versus how the webbing sets in it and how the forces are distributed along the width of the webbing. If the forces from the webbing are distributed near the solid side, the DC is at its strongest, if the forces from the webbing are distributed somewhat equally along the short retaining sections then the DC is at its nominal strength, and if the forces from the webbing are distributed near the open side then it is at its weakest. It looked to me that the design of the DC would allow the webbing forces to be at any of those positions where you would prefer it to never be in the weakest position because I suspect the strength varies tremendously along those possible positions. Those are my observations and thoughts, and I don't have anything more to add than that.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images

Smile Dutch fixes all.

Dear fellow ultra liters,

Dutch PM'd me today and offered both a refund and replacement of the product. I told him I only need the replacement. He thinks it was probably the metal as well and I am going to send him the small peice of the dutch clip I was able to recover. I do have video actually of the small peice just after the hammock failed, but its on my buddies camera. I'll post it if there is interest. As I stated before there is no need to go crazy here. 1 bad clip due to metal issues doesn't mean that dutches great products are suspect.

Any day above ground is a good day, so I hope to never have to pick myself up off it again!

P.S. Nobody was hurt in what might be the only breakage of a Dutch clip ever.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I boldly hung off of my DCs last night ....and hung them poorly.
    I am OK.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I am OK.
    Shug
    Yep. I hang (thanks to Rug's excellent drawing) both the "good way" and the "bad Way".

Head end clip last night was wrong, the foot end was right.
    I'masokasShug.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    O.E.S Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Lost river UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I am OK.
    Shug
    Thanks Shug, I feel much better now! You restored my confidence in the Dutch!

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    My world has just been shaken to the core !!

I'm sure Dutch will take care of it.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I always make sure the clips are to the side of the tree and not right in the center. If there in the center the force that is exert on them is multiplied, but if they are off to the side then it is just holding the straps together with little force.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast