Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images

Could have gone bigger???

It seems like everyone who has purchased a MacCat Delux has been pretty happy, especially if they got the 2QZQ mods done. My question is this: After getting your MacCat Deluxe, has anyone thought, "I chould have gone bigger and purchased the Ultra."? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Kyle

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey.223 View Post
    It seems like everyone who has purchased a MacCat Delux has been pretty happy, especially if they got the 2QZQ mods done. My question is this: After getting your MacCat Deluxe, has anyone thought, "I chould have gone bigger and purchased the Ultra."? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Kyle
    There was a time I was thinking of going bigger..to the Ultra with the longer ridge dimension....to get better coverage. The Deluxe with the vestibule style door mod creates so much room I decided against a longer ridged Ultra. After that the pole mod kicks the center out and I've been happy ever since. We have modded an Ultra with doors and it transforms it into the Hilton of tarps.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    TeWa UQ, GoLite TC
    Suspension
    web
    Have a MacCat Deluxe w/ no mods (yet). Just spent 3 days in Northern MN, temps to 40, VERY windy and rain, nothing got wet, very happy with it. I'm thinking of the door mod to help warm it up a bit.

the Fred

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Thanks for the info guys! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Hard for a noob to tell from just pictures. I wanted my next tarp purchase to be big enough for winter/rain protection and gear storage...but not end up being a car port in the woods. I'll go with the MacCat D with 2QZQ door mods when I get the money. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Cheers,
    Kyle

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    A little of the opposite for me, I first bought the mc ultra & now think its almost too much coverage for 1 hanger. Just got shipping notice on a mc deluxe to solve that. I also got the 2q grizz beaks recently, but have not had time to rig in this TX heat.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Kyle my Deluxe survived a wicked passing thunderstorm that dropped a good 2-3 inches of water on us in June 2010 on the AT. I was in the shelter but my hammock rig was set up with my gear underneath the tarp/hammock.

Trees were bending to the wind and rain. It was pretty sick.

When it passed I went over to my rig.... my gear was just fine and dry. Five star tarp right there.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

I got the deluxe and have used it in a few storms and never had a problem with anything getting wet. When I made some Grizz beaks for it I found that I had a lot more room under it than I needed. I think if I was going to have doors /beaks on my tarp I would get a standard just because I don't need the extra room and with the doors it would be pretty impervious to rain and snow.

BG

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There's been a recent trend (last 1.5 yrs?) of people going towards bigger tarps. Before that, the MacCat Standard was a big tarp, and people used the stock HH tarps without getting wet unless they put it on upside down (where the diagonal is on the wrong side). Today, lots of people use HUGE tarps for all seasons.

So do you NEED a big tarp? No. I take the opposite approach...go smaller. For me, the MacCat Standard is still my go-to tarp for three seasons. It's plenty big enough for good coverage, packs down small, give me enough room to cook under when I need to, etc. I even hang two hammocks under it and haven't had problems in the rain.

I do have a JRB 11x10 for winter trips so I can close it up. It's much warmer that way and I'm glad I have it for winter. But for my style, this is WAY too much tarp for three season backpacking trips. I'd compare this with the MacCat Ultra for that kind of size...it's great to have if it suits your style of camping, but be sure that you're making the decision on comfort rather than the perception that you need it.

Hrm...I do have a custom tarp in the works but I don't have an ETA on it. It'll be a little bigger than the MacCat Standard and quite a bit lighter than the JRB 11x10 sil tarp. It'll be my new winter tarp for when size matters.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My preferred season to hike, at least AH (after Hammock) is winter. I have joked there are 2 seasons: Springsummerfall & HIKING season. In reality I'll hike year round.

But as I do hike & camp during "bad" weather, I like the larger tarp for MORE POWER! OK, I channeled "Tim the tool man Taylor" for a second But I love the coverage my large tarp provides, & if need be (my tarp is rectangle, no cat cuts) I can close up the ends like doors so for all appearances I'm hanging in a tent.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    There was a time I was thinking of going bigger..to the Ultra with the longer ridge dimension....to get better coverage. The Deluxe with the vestibule style door mod creates so much room I decided against a longer ridged Ultra. After that the pole mod kicks the center out and I've been happy ever since.
    2Q: thanks for the valuable feedback. You'll definitely be hearing from me soon for a door mod order (post ZQ break of course).

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    ...I'm thinking of the door mod to help warm it up a bit.

the Fred
    fred: Thanks. Warmth as well as rain/wind protection is what I'm after too.

Quote Originally Posted by uncharted View Post
    A little of the opposite for me, I first bought the mc ultra & now think its almost too much coverage for 1 hanger...
    uncharted: Thanks for the additional perspective on the MU...that seems to be the consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Perez View Post
    Kyle my Deluxe survived a wicked passing thunderstorm that dropped a good 2-3 inches of water on us in June 2010 on the AT. I was in the shelter but my hammock rig was set up with my gear underneath the tarp/hammock.

Trees were bending to the wind and rain. It was pretty sick.

When it passed I went over to my rig.... my gear was just fine and dry. Five star tarp right there.
    Paul: I've enjoyed watching many of your Youtube videos. Thanks for the input as well. My overall primary concern is driving rain...but warmth and wind are my immediate concerns for the next 8 months. Glad to know this will offer the protection I need for all.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGoat View Post
    ...I think if I was going to have doors /beaks on my tarp I would get a standard just because I don't need the extra room and with the doors it would be pretty impervious to rain and snow.

BG
    BG: Thanks for helping me decide between the Grizz Beaks or the door mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I do have a JRB 11x10 for winter trips so I can close it up. It's much warmer that way and I'm glad I have it for winter. But for my style, this is WAY too much tarp for three season backpacking trips. I'd compare this with the MacCat Ultra for that kind of size...it's great to have if it suits your style of camping, but be sure that you're making the decision on comfort rather than the perception that you need it.
    JustJeff: You're right. I always try to recognize my "needs" vs. "wants". In this case, knowing myself, they are one in the same. Always good to have a sounding board to keep myself in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    But as I do hike & camp during "bad" weather, I like the larger tarp for MORE POWER! OK, I channeled "Tim the tool man Taylor" for a second But I love the coverage my large tarp provides, & if need be (my tarp is rectangle, no cat cuts) I can close up the ends like doors so for all appearances I'm hanging in a tent.
    Doctari: This is exactly what I'd like to be able to do as well.

After considering all of your input and insights, I think the MD with door mods is my best balance between comfort and pure inclemant weather protection. Your advice was invaluable. Thanks again guys.

Cheers,
    Kyle

• + New Posts