Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images

Lightbulb diyrections non down uq

i just wanted to write 'diyrections'.haveing dabled in and made my own tarps,hammocks, top blankets,sacks, bugnets,snakeskins,rain ponchoes and suspensions i guess it was natural i move over to making my own underquilts.i started my hanging career with a clark and no contact with hammock forums .stuffed clark pockets work well for under insulation.i there fore did not know i needed an underquilt.i now see were a uq could save some room in my pack,and my diy hammock has no pockets(yet).plus i like to design and sew so here we go.
    before making my first uq i did a search to research some designs and features i may need.i got no further then slackdaddys thread
    'first underquilt project'

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=19547

this plan made sense to me and i used it as a base for my plan.i did not have a hammock model so i just guessed on how big a wedge to cut out.cutting the wedge out of the sides of the material,instead of the middle is how i changed SDS plan.only two seams to sew instead of 4.
    [IMG][/IMG]

to mark the curve i folded both pieces in half then quarters.then i stacked them together.i pined a string along one edge to make sure my material was straight.i pined them to the bed so they would not move.i then pinned another line down were i wanted the curved cutout to be.i kept adjusting this with pins to hold it in place untill it looked right.after the string was curved,and pinned i traced it with a sharpie.i then cut out all layers at the same time.
    [IMG][/IMG]

you shoud have two pieces of material like this now.
    [IMG][/IMG]

note...i made three uq's.the purple,insulated with polyester quilt batting,was for my goddaughter.a white and grey double layer fleece one from two small one dollar thrift blankets.and a one layer wool one from a wool blanket.the pictures of them are intermingled in these diyrections.
    [IMG][/IMG]

as shown in previous pic i sewed a line of grossgrain ribbon down the center of both of my sides.this center will become the inside edge after it is sewn together.i did not want this edge to stretch.i also wanted some loops along this edge in case it was droopy i could tie it up somehow.on the purple one i sewed the loops directly to the inner gosgrain,pulling a small pinch of fabric in so no places would unravel.the fleece one with the green grossgrain i left all one piece pulling a loop of the grossgrain through the fleece with one of those knitting hooks.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

sew them together like this.i used a variation of the flat felled seam.lined up the edges sewed,then folded that over opened up material and sewed it to one side.seamed to work well.
    [IMG][/IMG]

sew these two pieces together along the curved edges .should be two seams top and bottom
    [IMG][/IMG]

now you should have a big bag open at both ends and wider in the middle.
    [IMG][/IMG]

if you are useing some insulation like poly batting shape it to your uq and install now.

i used ripstop to form the end channels.it was flat felled to the main uq body.this was a very thick seam.but i think it helps the uq seal to the hammock.i put a length of shock cord in the channel and sewed in one end. on the other end is a line lock.so far i have not used this as these uq fit well to the hammock.
    [IMG][/IMG]

i sewed a loop on the corners(A) so it would stick out past the channel.this is were i will attach the shock cord for the suspension.
    to attach the shock cord,and adjust it i simply put a line lock on the shock (B)cord,tie the other end to the triangle thingys,then use the line lock like a toggle in the uq loops.it is shown in reverse in the pic,i changed it so i can use different uqs with same suspension.to attach the triangles to the suspension i put a large grossgrain loop on that end and larksheaded it to the hammock suspension.
    [IMG][/IMG]

next was stuff sacks.i realized i could use the stuff sacks for a dual purpose here.i sewed loops on the stuff sack corners and got rid of the uq suspension triangles.the stuff sacks are now also suspension components.
    the fleece uq is in the black bag.my fleece blanket is in the other
    [IMG][/IMG]

to attach the sack to the hammock.wrap bags drawcord around hammock suspension.insert drawcords line lock through grossgrain loop.pull drawcord tight.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    nother view
    [IMG][/IMG]

the fleece one.have not slept with it yet.seems to hang good
    [IMG][/IMG]
    top view fleece.if i tighten the suspension the sides straighten out.
    [IMG][/IMG]

the wool one.i cut only 14 inches of curved wedge out of this one.18 in. on the other two uqs.the wool and fleece ones are similar size and can be layered together useing same suspention.
    [IMG][/IMG]

the purple one,the rest of this hammock/tarp can be seen here

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20735

[IMG][/IMG]

i have used the wool one down to 32degf.stayed warm.

sorry its so long thanks for looking.
    hangin warm
    bill

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Lonetracker.....
    That looks mighty fine and I know how you like wool and fleece!
    Very comprehensive.... I may just whup one up myself.
    Off on a 3 or 4 day trip .... hope to leave this evening.
    Gonna hunt me down some chega and make some tea.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba camo
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Lonetracker,

Great design. I only wish you had posted it a couple of weeks ago before I went through a painful UQ project (because I have no idea what I am doing). Time to start saving money to make another with these instructions. Thanks for posting it!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    You should have been a sailmaker, Lonetracker!

I do something similar in concept for making hammock socks, but it's based on plans for a dory... instead of two panels joined on a curve, it's three, and the outer edges are also curved.

Good job!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey Lonetracker.....
    That looks mighty fine and I know how you like wool and fleece!
    Very comprehensive.... I may just whup one up myself.
    Off on a 3 or 4 day trip .... hope to leave this evening.
    Gonna hunt me down some chega and make some tea.
    Shug
    thank you sir shug.whup one up.
    hope it stops raining for your trip.
    though chaga tea would be good on a cold damp night in da wood.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveOh View Post
    Lonetracker,

Great design. I only wish you had posted it a couple of weeks ago before I went through a painful UQ project (because I have no idea what I am doing). Time to start saving money to make another with these instructions. Thanks for posting it!
    i made these on the cheap.the wool blanket i already had.if you make one show it please the fleece blankets were 2 dollars used.the ripstop for channels were scraps,other material could be used for that.i bought the shock cord and line locks.

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    You should have been a sailmaker, Lonetracker!

I do something similar in concept for making hammock socks, but it's based on plans for a dory... instead of two panels joined on a curve, it's three, and the outer edges are also curved.

Good job!
    thanks macentyre.
    those curves are not to bad to sew,once you get your mind rapped around them.
    a sailmaker aye aye sir.
    i take it sails are not flat as they look to this land lubber.are they all sewn by hand.how would one move that much material through a machine?

thanks bill

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    on the purple quilt you made, did you also sew the long edges after putting the batting in?
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    on the purple quilt you made, did you also sew the long edges after putting the batting in?
    yes .i rolled the edge of the batting up before i put it in.i tucked this rolled up part next to the edge of the purple skin and sewed a line of stich next to it.this gave me a nice fat edge.i also 'quilted' the rest of the uq by putting a small stich every 5 inch or so.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Very nice thanks for posting. I have this book marked. I will be trying my hand at making one of these as my next rainy day project.
    Terry

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    a sailmaker aye aye sir.
    i take it sails are not flat as they look to this land lubber.
    Flat sails don't work at all. They are airfoils.

Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    are they all sewn by hand. how would one move that much material through a machine?
    You use an industrial machine, like my Consew, mounted in the floor of the sail loft. The sailmaker sits in a cubbyhole built below the floor level. No shoes allowed!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ingenius! Thanks for posting that, I like it a lot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast